The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

truecoat

Hurricane Ian was just two mph from a Category 5 and made landfall in the Ft Myers area of Florida making it the fourth strongest storm to ever land in the US of all time.

The storm was supposed to enter through the Tampa Bay area and head to Orlando however by going through Ft Myers it shifted the storm by 131 miles and caught people by surprise as many had evacuated from Tampa area but not many left the Ft Myers area. Complete destruction in Southwest Florida: houses torn up, in some areas 18 feet of water from only storm surge not just the rain, no power or cell service, a death toll estimated to be over 100, millions without power, overall a disaster only comparable to Hurricane Andrew the last truly awful storm to hit Florida.

Heres some photos and videos from that portion of the state:

Over in Orlando its been mainly flooding and winds from 50 to 70 mph with isolated gusts in the 100s. Many without power, but not too bad comparatively.

However there’s still damage:

View attachment 670055

Oh, H e l l! The dinosaurs are loose!

tcool123

I hope that you and your family are safe!
Yes! My family all lives in Miami so they were unscathed, I study in Orlando and took up camp just north of Disney World. Both where I stayed and my dorms remain unscathed and with no damage I got very lucky this storm. I’m going to be donating all the supplies I had purchased to those in need over in Naples to get them by these next few weeks as they rebuild.

TP2000

Hurricanes are no fun. I am sending some prayers to some old friends that live in South Carolina; this isn't a bad hurricane for them historically, but none of us are getting any younger and it's crummy to deal with.

But funny hurricane story: In the winter of '89 I moved to Charleston, South Carolina. I rented a house there for several years as I worked in that region. The rental agent, smelling a clueless Yankee who she thought needed to be separated from his money, drove me around downtown Charleston in her giant Cadillac showing me places in a swanky oceanfront area known as "South of Broad". The 18th century historic homes there looked like something from an old movie, or like New Orleans Square. But they were old. And creaky. And leaky. And they cost a fortune!

I did not want to pretend I was living in a PBS period drama or a bad Civil War movie on the late show, I just wanted a comfy home with good AC and solid plumbing. I steered her further inland to a cheesy suburb, where I rented a 1980's tract home instead.

Seven months later Hurricane Hugo slammed into Charleston. It was a monster storm. Category 5, and the biggest and most violent storm South Carolina had seen in 200 years. The area "South of Broad" was destroyed. The two homes I'd looked at South of Broad were pretty much destroyed. I stayed in Charleston for several more years, but it honestly took that city two years to fully recover from Hugo. My less stylish 1980's rental home inland survived with just some ruined carpeting.

Moral of Story: Hurricanes are no fun, and never fully trust a real estate agent in a Cadillac!

I'm glad to see Charleston and the area South of Broad is batting away this relatively light Category 1 Hurricane Ian with relative ease. :)

5a395d3f1dd09.image.jpg

CaptinEO

I'd wondered that too in some thread a month or so ago. It appears to have fallen off the map.

Maybe they are being quiet until they re-choreograph the line dancing session? "AMAAAAZING!!!"

Not only is this embarrassing but it has literally nothing to do with Star Wars. This is like a mom throwing a party for their toddler and trying to think of activities to do.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
The bookings for the next 6 months:

1664581053109.png

1664581106180.png

Obviously it's off-season, but there isn't a single sold-out slot in all of 2023 (calendar goes to September). Seems like the excitement's worn off. I wonder if they are even making money on this anymore. I mean, I suppose non-sold-out blocks can be just one party away from being full, but hard to say. I know I haven't seen an ad for this in quite a while.

DLR92

The bookings for the next 6 months:

View attachment 670342
View attachment 670343

Obviously it's off-season, but there isn't a single sold-out slot in all of 2023 (calendar goes to September). Seems like the excitement's worn off. I wonder if they are even making money on this anymore. I mean, I suppose non-sold-out blocks can be just one party away from being full, but hard to say. I know I haven't seen an ad for this in quite a while.
I wonder if the mass feel the value isn't there?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Got my yearly ride on Haunted Mansion Holiday on my trip before last. Why are they not playing all the songs from the movie on the ride? Instead we have that cacophony they play in the graveyard. I might be able to tolerate it more with a better soundtrack.

waltography

Indy has been having some low-ish wait times lately. I think people are realizing it’s not the worth the wait in its current state.
If I wanted a ride to break my back throwing me around in the dark, I'd much rather do it on the Matterhorn. At least there the ride's only a minute long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom