News More EV charging stations are coming to Disney Springs - September 2022

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
They could have daylight only chargers and use the electrical infrastructure from the parking lot lights. I don't think it can handle charging and lighting simultaneously unless it was WAY over specified for lighting.
They could just also get solar stations

1663767550309.png

mkt

Premium Member
Do you honestly think they can get an lightning lane extension system put in on their app? I find that app basic/frustrating enough at times, no way they would develop something that would interface with the chargers to track this, considering the cost of such and endeavor vs. the amount of people who it actually effects.

It might not have to be through the app, but a trust based system, or a simple slip of paper - like old school fast passes - given to you by a parking CM.

What would help more is having more or some chargers at the hotels. It's ridiculous that the Poly has no chargers.

That would definitely help, but remember that not every guest stays on property.

Club Cooloholic

It might not have to be through the app, but a trust based system, or a simple slip of paper - like old school fast passes - given to you by a parking CM.

That would definitely help, but remember that not every guest stays on property.
Much like the old school fast passes they are a lost thing. What could possibly work is stopping by customer service to get it extended on your way in or out of the lot. Again they would just do it in the app.

mkt

Premium Member
Much like the old school fast passes they are a lost thing. What could possibly work is stopping by customer service to get it extended on your way in or out of the lot. Again they would just do it in the app.

That could be a pretty straightforward process.

Stop at GR on the walk out, show them your chargepoint app screen showing your car is actively charging, get it extended.

But they'd need to have it include not just attractions, but potentially dining.

StantonZ

Since we are moving to Orlando soon and I own an EV...I am starting to follow the charging installs on WDW property. I don't expect it to be "free", and I don't like "idle" charging...but it's problematic to exit/enter the park(s) just to move your vehicle. I suppose if I lived there and only went for an evening (for example), it wouldn't be a problem. I think the reality is I won't use "on property" charging that much (if at all).

Club Cooloholic

Since we are moving to Orlando soon and I own an EV...I am starting to follow the charging installs on WDW property. I don't expect it to be "free", and I don't like "idle" charging...but it's problematic to exit/enter the park(s) just to move your vehicle. I suppose if I lived there and only went for an evening (for example), it wouldn't be a problem. I think the reality is I won't use "on property" charging that much (if at all).
Now here is a question. Would people be willing to use a valet? They move the car after it's charged. I would think some people would be willing to pay a $10 Valet fee on topnof the charge.

JoeCamel

Now here is a question. Would people be willing to use a valet? They move the car after it's charged. I would think some people would be willing to pay a $10 Valet fee on topnof the charge.
You think like Bob, how about if there is a charging attendant and TDO pays them to be responsible for the operation of the station? Kind of how a refueling station is operated today?

Club Cooloholic

You think like Bob, how about if there is a charging attendant and TDO pays them to be responsible for the operation of the station? Kind of how a refueling station is operated today?
Disney isn't in the gas station business. These stations are courtesy they offer. If people are upset about cars not moving after charging this is a solution.

MrPromey

It’d make moving your car once it’s charged a massive pain. Also, it could make installing chargers more expensive if there isn’t existing electrical infrastructure there.

However if there was a large section of chargers further back where you could leave your car plugged in all day without idle fees, that’d work fine.
I guess I was thinking of the MK where moving any car is a massive pain but in the other parks, I can see what you mean.

mkt

Premium Member

Welcome to the area. When you live here, it's not often you go for full days. My wife, kid and I rarely spend more than 5-6 hours at the parks in a single day, and usually it's closer to 4. I don't go expecting to charge at the park, and literally check the chargepoint app once as I'm approaching the turnstiles. If nothing is available, I still ask, since there's a delay in reporting available, but I know it's not guaranteed.

That's what Universal does, but you have to pay the full valet rate, they have a form you sign absolving them of liability, and they have even fewer chargers proportionally than WDW

Disney isn't in the gas station business. These stations are courtesy they offer. If people are upset about cars not moving after charging this is a solution.

Disney does have gas stations on property that are operated by a third party.

The chargers are the same - they're operated by third party networks.

Club Cooloholic

Welcome to the area. When you live here, it's not often you go for full days. My wife, kid and I rarely spend more than 5-6 hours at the parks in a single day, and usually it's closer to 4. I don't go expecting to charge at the park, and literally check the chargepoint app once as I'm approaching the turnstiles. If nothing is available, I still ask, since there's a delay in reporting available, but I know it's not guaranteed.

That's what Universal does, but you have to pay the full valet rate, they have a form you sign absolving them of liability, and they have even fewer chargers proportionally than WDW

Disney does have gas stations on property that are operated by a third party.

The chargers are the same - they're operated by third party networks.
Yeah, and that party isn't sending valets for free.

mkt

Premium Member
I guess I was thinking of the MK where moving any car is a massive pain but in the other parks, I can see what you mean.
At AK and Studios it's really easy. I actually forgot my son's stroller fan charging cable in the car, and it was a 15 minute walk from the Tree of Life to my car in EV charging and back to go grab it.

At Studios it's the about the same as long as you aren't in the back of the park.

Club Cooloholic

I'd bet money that within 3-5 years, each Disney Park and Resort in Florida, plus Disney Springs will have full rows of EV chargers for guests. I'd even bet on the Water Parks, Wide World of Sports, and mini golf courses also having a few chargers each.
I would hope so. But the fact that it's 2022 and some of their hotel lots don't have a single charging station makes me skeptical.

mkt

Premium Member
Yeah, light housekeeping has been trending and they are all in!
I mean, their staffing issues are bad enough that even though I have no rehire, I both still get contacted on LinkedIn by their recruiters and no longer get auto-rejection emails from Disney jobs I apply for due to my rehire.

I guess I'm on a soft-no-rehire? Rehire me only if there's no one else better? 😂

mkt

Premium Member
I'd bet money that within 3-5 years, each Disney Park and Resort in Florida, plus Disney Springs will have full rows of EV chargers for guests. I'd even bet on the Water Parks, Wide World of Sports, and mini golf courses also having a few chargers each.

Thinking more about this, I think they might have no choice but to do this .

Here's why:

1- Hertz has ordered 100k EVs from Tesla, 65k from Polestar, and 175k from GM
2- Orlando is the world's single largest car rental market.
3- They also own Dollar and Thrifty Car Rental (plus Firefly, but it doesn't operate in Florida)

But it may not be something like putting rows of L2 chargers in the parking lots, but rather a few large EV L3 EV Charging stations, with the charging aspect run by a partner like EVgo or Electrify America, and F&B offered by Disney. Something smilar to this:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom