News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Epcot82Guy

Oh, I'm the opposite. The show is visually amazing, the content is the problem. I equate it to that really gorgeous person, that perfect 10, that you start dating only to find out they're the dumbest person you ever met.

I'm curious (genuinely) about people who find it visually amazing. To me, it has some cool tech. There is definitely the possibility of something truly amazing. But, they used it way too much and way too early. So, it felt pretty one note to me as a result. Did the tech hold your attention the whole time?

JohnD

I'm curious (genuinely) about people who find it visually amazing. To me, it has some cool tech. There is definitely the possibility of something truly amazing. But, they used it way too much and way too early. So, it felt pretty one note to me as a result. Did the tech hold your attention the whole time?

I'm planning on maximizing my time during the show next week.

brb1006

DL has had a bit more of a party atmosphere with its entertainment for awhile. MK hasn’t gone there. They tried a DJ and we flipped. To be fair though, we have a castle at the end of Main Street. That alone demands a more formal atmosphere. I was at DL for 5 days and never actually found their castle although I understand it can be blocked by even a young cherry tree.
Please don't remind me of the DJ that was briefly at Main Street that Disney hired for some reason.
main-street-usa-dj-2.jpg

TheMaxRebo

I loved it - so much going on, the arms moving around and the images utilizing screens and the central water feature, nice moments like the rose above the Stargate, calmer moments like Mulan, super fun moments like Coco where they make it look like a guitar playing across the screens, etc

I get the transitions were abrupt and the story/message wasn't clear to everyone but visually I thought it was great

It was a longer show and felt like it passed quickly with how I to it I always was

eddie104

I loved it - so much going on, the arms moving around and the images utilizing screens and the central water feature, nice moments like the rose above the Stargate, calmer moments like Mulan, super fun moments like Coco where they make it look like a guitar playing across the screens, etc

I get the transitions were abrupt and the story/message wasn't clear to everyone but visually I thought it was great

It was a longer show and felt like it passed quickly with how I to it I always was
You enjoyed it no need to explain to people who have their minds set on disliking anything that doesn’t fit their vision of a Epcot nighttime show.

Epcot82Guy

Thank you for your perspective. Despite what some other posters apparently assume, I genuinely appreciate your thoughts. I was talking directly about the tech itself. There's no doubt it has some cool features. My disappointment there was that they used it all right up front. So I kinda felt like all the tricks were shown. I just prefer the build where new tricks come out as the show goes on. And I appreciate hearing why you enjoyed the tech side of it.

@eddie104 I in no way discount that I dislike the show. That doesn't mean I can't talk show tech and usage and listen to other perspectives. I am able to hold both conversations at the same time, even. I appreciate that he had no need to explain (as none of us do, frankly) and instead chose to.

eddie104

Thank you for your perspective. Despite what some other posters apparently assume, I genuinely appreciate your thoughts. I was talking directly about the tech itself. There's no doubt it has some cool features. My disappointment there was that they used it all right up front. So I kinda felt like all the tricks were shown. I just prefer the build where new tricks come out as the show goes on. And I appreciate hearing why you enjoyed the tech side of it.

@eddie104 I in no way discount that I dislike the show. That doesn't mean I can't talk show tech and usage and listen to other perspectives. I am able to hold both conversations at the same time, even. I appreciate that he had no need to explain (as none of us do, frankly) and instead chose to.
I’m sorry if you felt I was referring to you specifically. It was more just expressing my frustrations with what I saw when it came to discussing Harmonious flaws and lackluster reception.

Epcot82Guy

I’m sorry if you felt I was referring to you specifically. It was more just expressing my frustrations with what I saw when it came to discussing Harmonious flaws and lackluster reception.

Ah my apologies! Gotta love the tech post. 🙂

I do wish, on both sides, we could find ideas that accommodated as many sides as possible. Obviously some things are more yes or no. But I believe the attendees in the forum could come up with versions that would make a lot of people happy. And maybe Disney could as well. It doesn't always have to be a zero sum game.

Vinnie Mac

Was watching a livestream of the show tonight and I was thinking about something. I think my biggest and main issue with Harmonious is that it only conveys one type of mood/vibe and doesn't have a super direct purpose.

Harmonious is a celebration. Illuminations was a story. We don't talk about Epcot Forever.

There is nothing inherently wrong with Harmonious being celebratory, but I was thinking about the fact that that's all it is. Unless you are willing to enjoy the music and sing and dance a little, you're not going to enjoy it. If you don't allow yourself to be immersed in the visuals, you're not going to enjoy it. In a weird way the show almost requires participation for you to fully enjoy it. And I don't say this in an awful negative way, it's just a personal gripe I have with it.

Meanwhile Illuminations didn't have just one mood it had multiple. It was captivating, mysterious, and emotional.

Illuminations is like you sitting by the fire while an old man tells you a story while Harmonious is like an international dance party which again, nothing inherently wrong with this. But sometimes I would prefer the former to the latter.

Vinnie Mac

I don't wish for an Illuminations return. We can be happy that it existed while still looking forward to the future of nighttime shows. But I am curious to see how the new show will play into what I was saying.

eddie104

Ah my apologies! Gotta love the tech post. 🙂

I do wish, on both sides, we could find ideas that accommodated as many sides as possible. Obviously some things are more yes or no. But I believe the attendees in the forum could come up with versions that would make a lot of people happy. And maybe Disney could as well. It doesn't always have to be a zero sum game.
I hope Disney is able to come up with a show that caters to everyone wants and desires.

Father Robinson

When I say visually amazing, I'm referring to the show as a whole. The moving water nozzles, the projections (on the water spray, not just on the donut), the sharp images on the barges, the pyro, the spotlights... again, as a whole it's visually stunning as a lagoon show. It fails in content so to me as amazing as it looks, it truly does nothing for me.

Cliff

I don't wish for an Illuminations return. We can be happy that it existed while still looking forward to the future of nighttime shows. But I am curious to see how the new show will play into what I was saying.
It is my understanding that the Reflections of Earth hardware was taken backstage and destroyed. However,...I would give my left arm to see it it's basic theme re-made with brand new hardware and have Gavin write a new score that carries the RoE thoughts further.

Read this...it will blow your mind.....

"On it [Earth] everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."

It was told to me by a person involved with the creation of RoE that THIS paragraph is literally the exact concept that was used as THE actual basic premise of RoE back in 1999.

In my humble opinion...how could a light and happy "Harmonious" show with nothing really to say....ever compete with this incredibly powerful RoE "meaningful" concept that applies to every single living creature on Earth?

I always feel that Harmonious and it's "When you find out who your are,...you'll find out what you need" message is not a positive or constructive one. I feel like Harmonious "celebrates" division and sub division and sub-sub division and sub-sub-sub division of people focuses way too much on their "identity".

Reflections of Earth is more the other way. It UNIFIES everything and everybody...not just "people" and "cultures" but of all life on this crazy rock floating in space. We are all together on this thing and we are all one. (Humans, animals, plants, bacteria, etc....all life)

Everything that lives also must die....and we go on.....

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom