News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

Sandurz

Because when MK fills up on a holiday weekend, they don't want people with hoppers saying they'll go to Epcot, but then really go to MK and overcrowd it.

Otherwise, they'd have to have an additional reservation system such that on a day in which the MK is 'full,' they can only reserve to go to the MK if they enter only have 2 PM. And then if they decide, "Hey, I'm in the area at noon, let me hit Epcot for lunch, and then they can't get into Epcot because their reservation is for MK.
I don't follow...on a crowded holiday weekend right now with the system as is, what would stop someone with an Epcot reservation going to MK at 2 PM and "overcrowding" it, provided they actually go to Epcot first? What difference does it make where someone was at 11 AM if they're showing up somewhere else at 2 PM? They can still be denied entry if it's at capacity.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't follow...on a crowded holiday weekend right now with the system as is, what would stop someone with an Epcot reservation going to MK at 2 PM and "overcrowding" it, provided they actually go to Epcot first? What difference does it make where someone was at 11 AM if they're showing up somewhere else at 2 PM? They can still be denied entry if it's at capacity.
Crowd models based on length of queues shows that all parks bottom out on attendance at 4p. The decline starts around 2p.

I'm guess they figured that a 'full' park can handle hoppers starting around that time when there's a regular stream of people leaving in the afternoon.

Sandurz

Crowd models based on length of queues shows that all parks bottom out on attendance at 4p. The decline starts around 2p.

I'm guess they figured that a 'full' park can handle hoppers starting around that time when there's a regular stream of people leaving in the afternoon.
Right, the 2pm part makes sense as far as having a "start" time for hopping. I don't even mind that too much, I just mean specifically the policy that you won't be allowed into your second park without visiting the park you have a reservation for first, which seems to serve zero purpose.

Brian Noble

seems to serve zero purpose.
Maybe, but maybe not.

Folks who are "phantom hopping", might be thinking about getting to their park of choice as close to 2PM as possible. People who are actually hopping might be more likely to spread their arrivals out in time.

There might still be a few people who play the tap-in-at-1PM game, but even those folks might find themselves saying "well, while we are here..."

DisneyDodo

The rule is presumably meant to account for guests who will only be visiting parks later in the day (e.g. on their arrival day, etc). Without the visit-your-reserved-park-first rule, their park pass reservation would be effectively meaningless, as they could just go to any park, hence diminishing Disney’s ability to predict attendance. Instead, these guests are forced to go to their reserved park first, and given the effort involved in park-hopping at WDW, they are likely to stay there.

DisneyDodo

I’m sure at some point Disney will introduce some sort of premium pass that lets guests bypass the park pass system altogether (could come in both standard and park-hopper varieties). But that would likely be priced much higher than the current PH, to ensure that the marginal revenue offsets the costs associated with the increased uncertainty.

DCBaker

Premium Member
According to the current Resort/Ticket Park Reservation calendars, all dates have been replenished in October (most dates were only Magic Kingdom unavailable, though over the past couple of days many of these same dates would alternate between available and unavailable).

Before/After -

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 9.05.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.50.30 PM.png

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Not that im a fan of the park reservation system pretty much indifferent and when i have had to make changes had no issues but i would say majority of people who visit pretty much know the park they are going to and Disney “capping” attendance to numbers i assume are lower than before is in theory a good thing…

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Where did you get this chart please ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom