Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Epcot82Guy

At the rate we're going, they should start the live action Encanto Tilt-a-Whril now, because it still won't open until a year after the live action Encanto comes out.

UNCgolf

All kidding aside, I wish they’d dust off the Lion King dark ride plans they once had according to @marni1971 and put that in Africa. Park could use it.

I would love to see a Lion King dark ride. Like I said above, it's one of their biggest movie successes ever and it has essentially no park representation. I don't think Festival of the Lion King counts because it has almost no relation to the movie or characters.

Epcot82Guy

I don't know that I would enjoy seeing a traditional dark ride. But, if they went more stylized - like African puppets ala the Broadway show - telling the story, that could be a nice blend. And, the theater building would work as a wonderful facade for that.

Kamikaze

Several posters have commented they felt Journey of Water worked well because it was right across from the Seas, almost making it feel like a miniland about the water. This will likely feel more separated and (physically) tied to World Celebration more than World Nature - noting the entrance will certainly be on the WN side. That was what I was referencing.
It has nothing to do with Seas and they never said it did.

Epcot82Guy

It has nothing to do with Seas and they never said it did.

I agree. This wasn't Disney pitching this. My point was a number of people were viewing it that way and thought that would add to its placement/success/fit. IMHO that will not be the case. And, as you point out, was never the intent.

I will say the original plans seemed to show it being a literal journey from the central area into World Nature. That would have made a little more sense than the closed off circle we're getting now. I'm not sure why that choice was made.

CJR

It's easy to see why they didn't talk about Play!, SSE, or Poppins. This and the park area with mostly trees are taking over two years to build.

Outside of Communicore Hall, which will have quick ways for Disney to get an RoI, it's safe to assume that anything in an indoor structure is a long way off for Epcot. Maybe the next D23.

Kamikaze

I agree. This wasn't Disney pitching this. My point was a number of people were viewing it that way and thought that would add to its placement/success/fit. IMHO that will not be the case. And, as you point out, was never the intent.

I will say the original plans seemed to show it being a literal journey from the central area into World Nature. That would have made a little more sense than the closed off circle we're getting now. I'm not sure why that choice was made.
Not listening to what moronic 'fans' interpret is your first step in enjoying Disney more.

lazyboy97o

It faces The Seas because that is what justifies its existence and placement. That’s how it is part of World Nature. It was never this interstitial space that people assumed.

Epcot82Guy

It faces The Seas because that is what justifies its existence and placement. That’s how it is part of World Nature. It was never this interstitial space that people assumed.

Are you talking about the current attraction or its original version? I'm going back to the very original Table Top era plans. It seemed very clear in those you could enter off the main hub area, along the purple ribbon. It basically led you into the Seas area from there. So, it did seem more of a bridge from the center to Seas.

Now, it more pointedly faces the Seas, turning its back fully to the center and eliminating any interstitial area as you say.

I actually think that's why it makes even less sense within World Nature and certainly from the center. But, again, I'm going with what others were hoping to see. I'm not a fan of its placement in any sense personally.

SilentWindODoom

They're so weird with it too, because Lion King is arguably bigger than all of those (Frozen possibly excluded) and it has very little park representation. Even Festival of the Lion King is only superficially related to the Lion King IP.

Lion King is tricky. You can't do face characters or really even costumed characters in a traditional sense. Most animal-starring IP either have them replacing humans or living amongst them, but Lion King has no trace of them. So it clashes with putting it among the buildings of Fantasyland, where many dark rides based off IP would go. Animal Kingdom really is the best place. It could fit in the Studios or Epcot, but besides past things which have been torn out, it would take a large investment in two places they've been avoiding.

DisneyDodo

They're so weird with it too, because Lion King is arguably bigger than all of those (Frozen possibly excluded) and it has very little park representation. Even Festival of the Lion King is only superficially related to the Lion King IP.
I’m all for more LK representation, but I disagree with the notion that FotLK is only superficially related. It heavily features the 3 most popular characters and the entire soundtrack.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom