Build COVID contingencies into your plans

jimbojones

Just got back from a 7 day trip and we all got COVID at the parks. The Orlando medical clinic we went to told us that they were getting a constant stream of wdw visitors coming in with COVID. We missed out on the last two days of our planned park visits and getting home was a significant challenge. We are all vaxxed and wore masks at all times indoors.

If you are planning a trip soon be sure to have contingencies in place if a member of your travel party gets covid. Take a moment to consider how you will afford additional hotel nights while you are in isolation and additional time off from work. In hindsight I wish I had bought travel insurance.

Everywhere we went in Disney there were people with bad coughs nearby. America is COVID central , always assume someone in any crowd has it.

On a brighter note, we found genie+ both easy to use and a great time saver.

I hope this helps those planning now to avoid some of the struggles we dealt with on this trip. If you have a medically fragile family member I would hold off on a Disney trip for a bit.

Minnesota disney fan

Just got back from a 7 day trip and we all got COVID at the parks. The Orlando medical clinic we went to told us that they were getting a constant stream of wdw visitors coming in with COVID. We missed out on the last two days of our planned park visits and getting home was a significant challenge. We are all vaxxed and wore masks at all times indoors.

If you are planning a trip soon be sure to have contingencies in place if a member of your travel party gets covid. Take a moment to consider how you will afford additional hotel nights while you are in isolation and additional time off from work. In hindsight I wish I had bought travel insurance.

Everywhere we went in Disney there were people with bad coughs nearby. America is COVID central , always assume someone in any crowd has it.

I hope this helps those planning now to avoid some of the struggles we dealt with on this trip. If you have a medically fragile family member I would hold off on a Disney trip for a bit.
Wow, I'm so sorry your whole family got Covid after going to disney.
I always felt that WDW was a petri dish for viruses and other illnesses. Afterall, people come from around the world, too. I don't think anyone would cancel a visit if their child/wife had a cough, not after spending thousands on flights, reservations, dog care, arranged time off work, etc, etc. So they just go and hope for the best.
We have always come back from WDW (precovid) with either a bacterial infection or a wicked virus, with chills, fever, sore throat, etc. It always happened at the end of our trip and was just something that we knew would happen. We went to disney (and other crowded places) with the knowledge that we might get some virus or illness. There's no way to stop it, IMO, because people still cough a lot, sneeze, don't wash hands, and kids do the same and run their hands on the rails! There's more too, but you get the idea. I wish there was an easy answer to Not getting sick at disney, but haven't found one. We just go knowing that there is a risk wherever you go on vacation.

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Well there was a
I wish there was an easy answer to Not getting sick at disney, but haven't found one. We just go knowing that there is a risk wherever you go on vacation.

There was, but obviously, people find it quite inconvenient and therefore don't stay home when they are sick. My wife and I were fine at Disney until this last trip in April when we both returned with the gift. Its basic stuff that most of us that attended kindergarten were taught that folks dont do.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Sorry to hear about this. I recently got my second booster of Moderna ( dealt with headaches and arm pain 24 hour post shot ) and I continue to wear my mask by choice. I have known so many that got Covid, exhibited symptoms and had to isolate for 10 days.

Upvote 0

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Contingency plans absolutely. Our third covid era trip is coming soon and probably higher odds we catch it this time. Our pre-vax 2021 trip had reduced capacities, full masks, no fireworks or gatherings, etc. Our post-vax trip still had some mitigation in place. So far we’ve avoided infection altogether but traveling to WDW certainly increases exposure odds over daily life. Plus travel can run our system down. We try avoid getting stressed out, sleep properly, hydrate, stuff like that… and have a back-up plan. Also use more caution the weeks before and after trip, trying not to bring covid with us and not spread it on return.

Upvote 0

mf1972

we went last october after receiving our boosters a month before. wore masks while we were there & were both fine after we came back. i had covid mid july & was fine after a few days. my wife surprisingly never got it after me. she’s leaning on another booster before our november trip.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

We just got back on Thursday from a very short trip. So far, so good. Tested negative today, but I don’t know exactly the window after which we should consider ourselves safe.

We stayed off property the first night, and in the fairly isolated cabins at Fort wilderness for the next two. We ate at a resort the first night and wore our mask indoors.

The next day, we went to three different parks. We not only wore masks indoors, we wore them in queues, and we avoided more crowded areas. If we found ourselves in a crowded outdoor area, we masked up (always KN95.)

We avoided touching things where possible and washed/sanitized more than usual.

And we also took immune-boosting vitamins.

With all that, we had a great time, and intend to do the same on DCL on Monday (plus use a new mask every day on board.)

Upvote 0

ceecee101

Our first trip in 13 years set for November. Next week both getting the new omicron booster. That will make 5 shots each, we’ll get every booster every time. My biggest fear is getting like on day 3-4 of an 8 day trip. We haven’t been in so long and it’s SO $$$ now. But we’ll mask, wash and wipe, eat outside as much as possible (only making 2-3 ADRs for the whole trip, backended. Still hoping the week we are that has somewhat of a lull (yeah I know, haha) as it is Nov 14-21. Sorry you got it, at least you had some good days at the beginning.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

Yep, we have delayed our next booster until a couple of weeks before our December trip. Every little bit helps.
I’m waiting on the newer version. (I’ve actually already had a newer, Omicron-specific version as part of a study, but I think the newest one leapfrogs over that one and is specific to the subvariants of Omicron.)

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I’m waiting on the newer version. (I’ve actually already had a newer, Omicron-specific version as part of a study, but I think the newest one leapfrogs over that one and is specific to the subvariants of Omicron.)

It was just approved this week and my wife and I are queued up for Wednesday. The new doses target the dominant omicron subvariants as well as the original Covid strain that emerged in China in 2019. This will make our third booster.

Upvote 0

danlb_2000

Premium Member

We went in May and this was definitely on my mind but fortunately neither of us got sick. We did a split stay Universal and Disney, so my contingency plan if we got sick later in our trip was to go to the Universal Endless Summer resort since it's fairly inexpensive, has easy access to food, and close to pharmacies on I-Drive.

Upvote 0

Patcheslee

We've been on 3 theme park vacations since covid, always summer. None of those times have we been infected. But DD13 has been out of school twice once suspected, once positive, I have been out of work 3 times positive twice, and DH twice positive once. Those have all occurred in fall or spring and stemmed from work or school exposures and after vaccine/boosters. At this point it's always try to have a plan for missing time. i.e. extra savings, more non-perishable foods on hand, bring all school supply needs home.

Upvote 0

LeighM

My husband and I are waiting to get the new one in a couple of weeks. I usually get the flu shot the first week of October so I need to space them apart. But I'm waiting to talk to my doctor about when I should take the new covid booster. My asthma has been horrible for months despite testing negative each time I take a home covid test. I guess the heat and/or pollen have just gotten to me this year. But people around me still look at me with disgust whenever I cough in public. I feel like I need to wear a shirt that says "relax, yall, it's just asthma" LOL.

Upvote 0

jimbojones

Original Poster
Our first trip in 13 years set for November. Next week both getting the new omicron booster. That will make 5 shots each, we’ll get every booster every time. My biggest fear is getting like on day 3-4 of an 8 day trip. We haven’t been in so long and it’s SO $$$ now. But we’ll mask, wash and wipe, eat outside as much as possible (only making 2-3 ADRs for the whole trip, backended. Still hoping the week we are that has somewhat of a lull (yeah I know, haha) as it is Nov 14-21. Sorry you got it, at least you had some good days at the beginning.
Yeah cutting the trip short was just as painful as being sick.

Upvote 0

dmw

In the Parks
No
Covid must be a Disney perk. ;) We've been to Dollywood multiple times this year - no vax, no mask and no one has gotten covid.

We don't worry about covid in our plans, any more than we worry about any other illness. We've been to Disney (and other parks) pre-covid and sometimes came back with an illness, other times not. If it happens, it happens and we'll deal with it at that time. No contingency planning needed for us unless we are traveling somewhere that requires testing to get home.

p.s. I'm not knocking anyone who chooses to get the vax or wear a mask. Just sharing a data point and personal opinion in regards to covid contigencies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mf1972

they started giving the new boosters to us hospital employees last week where i work. it’s not mandatory like the last time. i’m probably going to get it tomorrow. i’m off the weekend, so i’ll see if i feel like crap or not

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom