News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

lazyboy97o

This will increase demand at the parks with no real place to put the additional people. The queues won't be enough...
Not necessarily. It depends on the type of attractions. It’s also not just attraction capacity that is required but shopping and dining capacity as well. Magic Kingdom has abandoned retail space and less dining capacity today than 30 years ago.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This makes 0 sense. More attractions = more capacity, which in turn does make it so there are more places to put people.
It makes a lot of sense...given I would anticipate an increase in demand that outpaces any growth in capacity from adding additional attractions. So it would be a wash...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Not necessarily. It depends on the type of attractions. It’s also not just attraction capacity that is required but shopping and dining capacity as well. Magic Kingdom has abandoned retail space and less dining capacity today than 30 years ago.
Including entertainment options in those attractions that are people eaters, potentially. But I still don't think it would create enough capacity to deal with an increase in demand that would likely follow with all these additions.

Doing above, plus a 5th gate...well, that's the dream. But if I had to pick one...5th gate.

MagicHappens1971

Including entertainment options in those attractions that are people eaters, potentially. But I still don't think it would create enough capacity to deal with an increase in demand that would likely follow with all these additions.
Not adding capacity (ie new attractions, dining space, etc) is definitely not the solution though

castlecake2.0

It angers me to no end that aunt Polly’s sits unused 51 weeks of the year. Put some “secret TikTok vlogger menu” over there to spread out crowds. Tomorrowland noodle hut plaza terrace whatever it’s called, that should be open every single day too. Shopping I’m not as concerned about, use some of that space as more “relaxation areas”, give people somewhere to sit while the endlessly scroll their twitter boxes, tired of seeing guests sprawled out on the ground and pathways, not a good look.

Image result for thats sue sees it gif

lazyboy97o

Doing above, plus a 5th gate...well, that's the dream. But if I had to pick one...5th gate.
Yes, the volume required at this point because capacity is so inadequate would create its own interest, but it would also be temporary. You’ll have an initial surge from those who must see it but over time things fall into place. But again, it’s also not just attractions. The parks need things like quick service venues, and probably boring ones at that pushing out burgers and chicken strips.

lazyboy97o

It angers me to no end that aunt Polly’s sits unused 51 weeks of the year. Put some “secret TikTok vlogger menu” over there to spread out crowds. Tomorrowland noodle hut plaza terrace whatever it’s called, that should be open every single day too. Shopping I’m not as concerned about, use some of that space as more “relaxation areas”, give people somewhere to sit while the endlessly scroll their twitter boxes, tired of seeing guests sprawled out on the ground and pathways, not a good look.

View attachment 662314
The capacity of the Adventureland Verandah also needs to be replaced. Skipper’s Canteen only replaced a portion of that facility but a table service restaurants also have lower capacity than a quick service venue (as low as ⅓ of the hourly capacity).

Ayla

View attachment 662314
BRING BACK THE BENCHES!!!

UNCgolf

Until every country in world showcase has a real attraction, no need for a fifth gate

As well as adding at least 5 or 6 more attractions to DHS and DAK, and a corresponding increase in retail and dining capacity.

DHS desperately needs the help; they've opened two new lands in the past 5 years and it's still basically a half day park that doesn't really offer much more than it offered 20 years ago.

JMcMahonEsq

Brick and Mortar retail has been dying across the country for the last 5 years+, and covid really helped push that along. Why in the world would Disney want to lean into a dying market space and build MORE retail space. Its not like there is NO retail spaces in MK (just taking this park as the example.) And other than special dates, like the opening of the 50th Anniversary, or a new item launch, I have never seen the retail spaces currently available at MK being so crowded such that they are turning people away, or that shopping in them was a hardship. You don't need a Genie+ spot for the shops on Main St.

And its not like Disney is afraid to sell things to people to try and make money. Does anyone really think that if they thought that additional retail space was in demand, and would result in more sales, that they wouldn't explore it?

In addition to 1) there being no real demand for more retail space, and 2) no monetary incentive or ROI to spend on more retail space, there is 3) is more retail space, or a new sit down restaurant really going to solve the problem of long lines at the high demand attractions. Take 7D, lets say out of 40,000 guests per day, 30,000 want to ride 7D. Those 30,000 riders are in line for 7D throughout the day, and lets be honest, for the high end attractions, absent the very last moments of the park, the lines themselves stay rather long and static the entire day. Are we really thinking a significant number or people are going to NOT wait in line for 7D, and go to a third or fourth merchandise shop? Your much more likely to have people choosing between riding Tron and 7D.

And finally, the major problem with this thinking is you are not truly asking Disney to spend money to increase capacity, as it is generally used. WDW has a capacity of 40,000 guests per day, if your investing capex to increase capacity, you are spending money in order to increase that 40,000 guest number to 45 or 50,000 per day, with all the corresponding revenue that entails. What many people on this board want, is for WDW to spend capex to NOT increase capacity, but rather distribute the same 40,000 guests across more areas/activities. So you are asking for a large capex spend, and increase in overhead, with no increased consumer base and direct ROI.

Jrb1979

Potter is not Nintendo/Mario... I don't believe I said it would "ruin" WDW.. Universal will never be a destination for a segment of Disney guests for whatever reason. Universal is in a position to become the primary destination for many, aside from very sheltered Disney guests.. Heck some WDW guests swear they will never go to DL.. Universal will never take catch up to WDW but their goal is to take more people away from Disney for more days and they will absolutely accomplish this with the new park and they may even take away 3-4 days of that weeks vacation.
I agree with you. Disney will always have its guests who will never visit Universal. A lot of that is due to no interest in their IP. Another part is those with littles, they will always choose Disney as they have more things for them to do. IMO a big one that few bring up is that a lot of Disney guests aren't ride people. I can't count how many times I have seen people here post about motion sickness.

UNCgolf

Brick and Mortar retail has been dying across the country for the last 5 years+, and covid really helped push that along. Why in the world would Disney want to lean into a dying market space and build MORE retail space. Its not like there is NO retail spaces in MK (just taking this park as the example.) And other than special dates, like the opening of the 50th Anniversary, or a new item launch, I have never seen the retail spaces currently available at MK being so crowded such that they are turning people away, or that shopping in them was a hardship. You don't need a Genie+ spot for the shops on Main St.

And its not like Disney is afraid to sell things to people to try and make money. Does anyone really think that if they thought that additional retail space was in demand, and would result in more sales, that they wouldn't explore it?

In addition to 1) there being no real demand for more retail space, and 2) no monetary incentive or ROI to spend on more retail space, there is 3) is more retail space, or a new sit down restaurant really going to solve the problem of long lines at the high demand attractions. Take 7D, lets say out of 40,000 guests per day, 30,000 want to ride 7D. Those 30,000 riders are in line for 7D throughout the day, and lets be honest, for the high end attractions, absent the very last moments of the park, the lines themselves stay rather long and static the entire day. Are we really thinking a significant number or people are going to NOT wait in line for 7D, and go to a third or fourth merchandise shop? Your much more likely to have people choosing between riding Tron and 7D.

And finally, the major problem with this thinking is you are not truly asking Disney to spend money to increase capacity, as it is generally used. WDW has a capacity of 40,000 guests per day, if your investing capex to increase capacity, you are spending money in order to increase that 40,000 guest number to 45 or 50,000 per day, with all the corresponding revenue that entails. What many people on this board want, is for WDW to spend capex to NOT increase capacity, but rather distribute the same 40,000 guests across more areas/activities. So you are asking for a large capex spend, and increase in overhead, with no increased consumer base and direct ROI.

I don't even know where to start with this because it badly misunderstands some fundamental aspects of theme park operations -- theme park retail is nothing like standard brick-and-mortar retail, e.g. -- but I don't have the time, or really the interest level, to explain.

What I will say is that no one is asking WDW to spend capex to not increase capacity. I have no idea where you are coming up with that idea. That's actually one of the major complaints people have about so many of their recent moves, where they've just replaced existing capacity instead of actually adding it.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

Brick and Mortar retail has been dying across the country for the last 5 years+, and covid really helped push that along. Why in the world would Disney want to lean into a dying market space and build MORE retail space.
I doubt the death of traditional brick-and-mortar retail has any impact on retail within a theme park. Walt Disney World is already a physical space you have to inhabit to enjoy, so retail integrated into the built environment makes sense. You can't hop on Amazon to get your WDW fix delivered to your door, and much of the exclusive merchandise that you can purchase online came from a reseller visiting a brick-and-mortar location within the parks.

bhg469

I agree with you. Disney will always have its guests who will never visit Universal. A lot of that is due to no interest in their IP. Another part is those with littles, they will always choose Disney as they have more things for them to do. IMO a big one that few bring up is that a lot of Disney guests aren't ride people. I can't count how many times I have seen people here post about motion sickness.
There are two rides at Universal that motion sickness is really bad.. Forbidden Journey and much worse the Simpsons. As I have said many times. I couldn't care less about Potter but I love Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. Little kids is the only reason I understand the need to avoid it. Avoiding it for IP is just a really nitpicky thing.

ppete1975

This will increase demand at the parks with no real place to put the additional people. The queues won't be enough...
too bad they dont have an app that can curb how many people get into the parks at one time.

Then again the dollar signs will keep them from utilizing that technology for good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom