News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

MrPromey

For folks with disposable income there is no such thing as inflation. These folks are happily paying and showing up. Bobby knows this and really only wants these people at the parks anyway.

Even they're feeling it!

Didn't you see that picture of Jeff Bezos on Space Mountain alone? Why do you think he was there instead of on one of his own real rockets?!

Even he is cutting corners these days. It just so happens, a trip to Disney really is a huge step down for him! 🤣

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

Someone should keep Bob at arm's length at all times, if this is remotely close to reality:

Subscriptions (D+) and traveling/vacation are #'s 1 and 4, respectively. And Bob thinks people are willing to pay higher and higher prices. 🤔

If I had a nickel for every time someone said Disney has finally gone too far with pricing and will lose business, I could afford to go to Disney.

Ultimately, we've been hearing this type of claim for decades. For everyone that gets priced out, two more people seem to jump in to take their place.

Disney hasn't necessarily increased their capacity in any significant way, so with a growing population they have more people with means to draw upon.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If I had a nickel for every time someone said Disney has finally gone too far with pricing and will lose business, I could afford to go to Disney.

Ultimately, we've been hearing this type of claim for decades. For everyone that gets priced out, two more people seem to jump in to take their place.

Disney hasn't necessarily increased their capacity in any significant way, so with a growing population they have more people with means to draw upon.

I don't think Disney has gone too far with their pricing. I think overall we are headed for a situation where more people are going to start to binge and purge because of the realities of everyone and their brother having a streaming service, inflation, and the current economic climate. But the sharp-pencil people believe it's full-steam ahead, nothing's gonna stop Disney now. Ignore that dark thing in the water, this ship is unsinkable... (Not that I think it's going to sink, but recessions and the travel industry are gasoline and a match. With inflation in the mix, something's gotta give.)

Wendy Pleakley

I don't think Disney has gone too far with their pricing. I think overall we are headed for a situation where more people are going to start to binge and purge because of the realities of everyone and their brother having a streaming service, inflation, and the current economic climate. But the sharp-pencil people believe it's full-steam ahead, nothing's gonna stop Disney now. Ignore that dark thing in the water, this ship is unsinkable... (Not that I think it's going to sink, but recessions and the travel industry are gasoline and a match. With inflation in the mix, something's gotta give.)

Streaming has gotten to the point where multiple services means many of us have replaced a cable bill with the equivalent streaming bill. To me that means it's a monthly expense most people have, and always will have.

When it comes to inflation, Disney+ is a drop in the bucket. If I cut anything it's going to be things like dining out. Losing that $10 Disney fee isn't on my radar.

Travel is another story, but as we know Disney can always turn on the discounts, which allows them to fill rooms without making any permanent price cuts.

eliza61nyc

Someone should keep Bob at arm's length at all times, if this is remotely close to reality:

Subscriptions (D+) and traveling/vacation are #'s 1 and 4, respectively. And Bob thinks people are willing to pay higher and higher prices. 🤔
I don't know HP, the problem is people are really not "long term" sacrificer's. lol one only has to look at new year's resolutions, only 8% of people who make them, keep them. most bail after 6 months. Dieting and budgeting are other examples.

One year?? yeah folks will skip a vacation but generally after a year folks will do what they have to do to get away. How many times here do we have post declaring how folks charge their wdw vacations (although I could never figure out how we know that).
Next, think about how many times we've made that predication in some form or another. Basically every single price hike definitely in the last 5 years we've said that people would not be willing to pay the price.

Bob has only to look in the past to feel assured that the public will still come.

lol, I think at best folks will cut 1, 2 and 3 to pay for number 4.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don't know HP, the problem is people are really not "long term" sacrificer's. lol one only has to look at new year's resolutions, only 8% of people who make them, keep them. most bail after 6 months. Dieting and budgeting are other examples.

One year?? yeah folks will skip a vacation but generally after a year folks will do what they have to do to get away. How many times here do we have post declaring how folks charge their wdw vacations (although I could never figure out how we know that).
Next, think about how many times we've made that predication in some form or another. Basically every single price hike definitely in the last 5 years we've said that people would not be willing to pay the price.

Bob has only to look in the past to feel assured that the public will still come.

lol, I think at best folks will cut 1, 2 and 3 to pay for number 4.
You think a lot of people will cut out $200/week for a year in eating out, subscriptions, and clothing to pay for a WDW vacation? Some, sure, but not a lot. If you’re cutting back in those things, you’re cutting back to save money and likely pay down debt, not save for a vacation. At least that’s what I believe. Then again, people and whatnot… 🤷‍♂️

Lilofan

You think a lot of people will cut out $200/week for a year in eating out, subscriptions, and clothing to pay for a WDW vacation? Some, sure, but not a lot. If you’re cutting back in those things, you’re cutting back to save money and likely pay down debt, not save for a vacation. At least that’s what I believe. Then again, people and whatnot… 🤷‍♂️
$200 is nothing. A number of folks family and friends, working from home save more per week not spending on bus fare to NYC, daily lunches, multiple Starbucks fix, dry cleaning, wear and tear on car, gas etc.

eliza61nyc

Approximately 2 car payments for us...
And there's the crux of the matter, what someone finds expensive is not much to someone else
Again I live in the stupidly expensive northeast. Generally a meal out for my family at cheesecake factory is a 150-180 meal, no alcohol. So saving 200 a month isn't life altering.

Lol my girlfriend spends 225 a month at Starbucks.

Next, remember the other thing is you can book your Disney trip a year in advance so for a lot of folks it makes it a bit less painful

Sir_Cliff

And there's the crux of the matter, what someone finds expensive is not much to someone else
Again I live in the stupidly expensive northeast. Generally a meal out for my family at cheesecake factory is a 150-180 meal, no alcohol. So saving 200 a month isn't life altering.
It's saving $200 a week that people are saying is a lot for most mere mortals.

bhg469

Next, remember the other thing is you can book your Disney trip a year in advance so for a lot of folks it makes it a bit less painful
As sir cliff said. 200 a week was the number.. we live down in Orlando and prices are definitely catching up in the touristy areas especially in the parks. We have the luxury of avoiding those but it is a treat once in a while, until our passes expire.

drizgirl

Generally people who think 200 is a lot of money already aren't dropping 150 routinely at Cheesecake Factory.

Lilofan

As sir cliff said. 200 a week was the number.. we live down in Orlando and prices are definitely catching up in the touristy areas especially in the parks. We have the luxury of avoiding those but it is a treat once in a while, until our passes expire.
Price hikes are what some use to their favor. At Golden Corral in Kissimmee we prepaid our breakfast priced meal then got our trays and started getting our food from the all u can eat spread at 1030 am. We noticed a number of families just sitting at their tables just drinking their beverages and not eating. A few minutes before 11am, a number of families went to the buffet line and started getting the lunch entrees that were being put out. Then I realized that the families did not prepay the lunch price and saved a few dollars and paid the breakfast price and just waited shortly for the lunch items to be brought out .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom