News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

Jrb1979

Second to last day of my final trip for several years. I spent ove 10k on this trip BEFORE arriving, expecting it to be my biggest best trip ever. It's supposed to be my farewell trip before I start saving and adulting for the next several years.

Sadly, it's been the most miserable trip I have ever been on. I've never not had at least a Little Bit of a good time at Disney. But man do I wish I had my 10,000 dollars back. I've got Animal Kingdom tomorrow. Sigh.

Bye, Disney. I'll be going to washington dc next year instead. Love that place.
There is always Busch Gardens Williamsburg. It's only 4 hours from DC.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You're describing a felony.
Certainly nothing in the financials is cooked, as that would be a felony. But Bob saying, "upto 50% of guests purchased Genie+"? It could have happened on one day and he's able to say that. It could be 10% the rest of the time, with 90% of those demanding refunds because the service sucked for them, but what he said is true (just making up a number, I don't really care to go back and see what The Bearded One© actually said). The problem is a lot of people hear that and then think, "Well, if half the people are buying it we better get that for our vacation, too!". His statements, while poorly worded and/or delivered, are probably extremely calculated to take advantage of the typical consumer's mindset of FOMO.

CaptainAmerica

The problem is a lot of people hear that and then think...
A lot of people hear that and then think nothing because nobody hears that. Message board posters are a small subset of parks-goers and people who listen to the earnings call are a small subset of the small subset. I would be shocked if more than 1% of guests in the parks over the next year will have any clue that Bob once told investors that 50% of people buy Genie+.

He's bragging that his project has been successful, he's not trying to manipulate guest behavior with that statement. It's not a marketing event.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Really don't have to look much further than the blistering pace with which the company is able to sell out hard ticket half days at MK while also, by virtue of it being a half day, opening the park for GA that day already. I don't know how many days MK has been/will be closing at 7 for a hard ticket event in 2022, but if it's under 150, they have easy room to grow. They _will_ push here as hard as they can. The only reason they aren't doing this at studios as well is because they can't keep RotR running enough to sell that ticket.

"Mickey's Springtime Celebration, at Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort!"

"Mickey's Summertime Nighttime Party, at Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort!"

Time to really put the screws to consumers? "Want your kids to see Disney Enchantment? Just book your ticket to Mickey's Summertime Nighttime Party to see this nighttime Disney spectacular! It's only available select nights from April through August (6 nights per week), so book your tickets now!!"

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
A lot of people hear that and then think nothing because nobody hears that. Message board posters are a small subset of parks-goers and people who listen to the earnings call are a small subset of the small subset. I would be shocked if more than 1% of guests in the parks over the next year will have any clue that Bob once told investors that 50% of people buy Genie+.

He's bragging that his project has been successful, he's not trying to manipulate guest behavior with that statement. It's not a marketing event.
Good point, this was the financial report, not a public event.

Minnesota disney fan

Agreed, they can force these folks too. The question is, can they force enough families to the off-peak times. It's so mobbed all of a time, it's hard for me to tell the difference.

I agree that parents will take kids out of school if they get a really good deal, at least some of them will.
For example: My husband and I went to WDW the first week of September when the DP was just initiated! My TA said that it would be a great time to go because no one would take their kids out of school the first week of school! Well, was she ever wrong! We were amazed at the amount of families with kids in the parks. The DP drew them out of the first week of school, and continued to be a draw for people from then on! We used the DP for a couple of years til we found out we spent less and were happier without the DP.
So, I wouldn't be surprised at all that parents take their kids out of school (and I'm saying some parents, not all) just to go to disney.

Br0ckford

"Mickey's Springtime Celebration, at Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort!"

"Mickey's Summertime Nighttime Party, at Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort!"

Time to really put the screws to consumers? "Want your kids to see Disney Enchantment? Just book your ticket to Mickey's Summertime Nighttime Party to see this nighttime Disney spectacular! It's only available select nights from April through August (6 nights per week), so book your tickets now!!"
What happened to Mickey's lunchtime half hour dance party, shake it spectacular?

Lilofan

I agree that parents will take kids out of school if they get a really good deal, at least some of them will.
For example: My husband and I went to WDW the first week of September when the DP was just initiated! My TA said that it would be a great time to go because no one would take their kids out of school the first week of school! Well, was she ever wrong! We were amazed at the amount of families with kids in the parks. The DP drew them out of the first week of school, and continued to be a draw for people from then on! We used the DP for a couple of years til we found out we spent less and were happier without the DP.
So, I wouldn't be surprised at all that parents take their kids out of school (and I'm saying some parents, not all) just to go to disney.
The luckiest kids are the Central FL locals that can possibly visit the theme parks on weekends or even on a school night.

TsWade2

I was thinking to say something, but since you guys are going to complain about what Bob Chapek said, I‘ll just stay out of it. Ta ta!👋

erasure fan1

They did what any good company does. They make money. We hate it because it comes out of our pockets but thats business.
That's true. I don't think anyone thinks Disney should not make money. The end result has to be profit. We hate it because of how Disney is doing it. Not because they are. Disney was never really a super affordable vacation. And yes, prices increase, we get that. But the issue in my eyes is for the obscene amount a Disney world vacation has gone up, I am seeing zero increase in value. Most people can agree we are actually getting significantly less.

Will I ever be happy about paying more? Probably not. But if I had to make my Disney trips every couple years instead of every year. That would be fine if I was getting a greater experience than I was before. But I am absolutely not. It is never a good business decision to lower your quality and standards, while raising prices just because you can.

UNCgolf

Why should value increase? When a 12 ounce can of Coke goes up in price, do you expect a bigger can?

I think what he should have said is value is decreasing, due the decline in maintenance, service, etc. -- it's more like the 12 ounce can of Coke going up in price, but also it's now a 10 ounce can. Value is subjective, though.

As an aside, that actually happens -- not with Coke specifically, but companies have decreased what you actually get in a package while raising the price as a way to increase profits. It's very easy to do with items that are essentially "hidden" by their packaging; basically anything that comes in a bag or box where you can't actually see how much is inside. They'd still have to provide an updated amount on the packaging itself (e.g. the aforementioned 10 ounces), but most people don't pay any attention to that.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Why should value increase? When a 12 ounce can of Coke goes up in price, do you expect a bigger can?
If the price increased alot I’d be even more disappointed if every third can turned out to be flat, when previously it was rare.

I think they are milking off the consumer confidence others before them built. Components of a WDW trip were always expensive but never did I regret the spending after the fact. Getting less and less true with each purchase for us. It’s become a mine field; there is no end to what I need to question first before buying if it bears the Disney name now.

erasure fan1

Why shouldn't we expect more? That really seems like an odd thing to say. I expect that if a company is going to increase my costs the way Disney has. I do expect more. And I certainly don't expect a lesser value. Hey, props to if you like what Disney is shoveling. I don't expect a better value from anyone. But if they want my money, they sure as heck better give me one. Right now Disney is offering up turd sandwiches for filet prices.

Greggm

Bob obviously hasn't drawn any connection between the numbers and this being the end of global Covid restrictions. I suggest he waits and sees what 2023 brings, and how visitors react to Lightening Lanes. I suspect price rises + Lightening Lanes will ensure that those who do visit will barely have to wait at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom