News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

Phicinfan

So let me just make sure I’m following:

Yesterday I was told that “value” was subjective - some psychology nonsense there, but whatever. Ok.

Now I’m gonna accept that.

Today, Bob says “we may HAVE or increase prices”
So say they go up 20% in the next year…high but not impossible.

So if it costs 20% more next year than today…doesn’t “value” become objective and declining?

…use small words to explain arguing all sides to me, please?
By definition, if cost increase, and no useful addition or development happens, then value reduces. God I feel dirty agreeing with you ;)

mightynine

If it was about the guest experience (what TWDC used to be renowned for) and demand v supply they would use their shiny new park reservation system to suitably limit attendance.

If making as much money as possible is the primary concern - at the expense of everything else - they’ll charge as much as they can for as many people who will pay as possible.

We know which way it’s going.
This should be the automatic response anytime someone says they have to raise prices to limit attendance.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
By definition, if cost increase, and no useful addition or development happens, then value reduces. God I feel dirty agreeing with you ;)
1660309207551.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not particularly, my receipts from trips around 1998-2004 do the trick pretty well.
But they don’t show price “reductions”…they show discounts of a temporary nature and price freezes for longer than the typical pattern

…and you need to have your maid clean out/burn those 25 year old receipts. Don’t be a hoarder 😎

Phicinfan

Bear with me, but this isn't all on Chapek. Lets face facts, more and more it looks like the board is also in this direction, or this clown would not have been able to do what he does, and get extended. Oh, but no one else can take his place - yeah thanks to him.

Net, I don't believe the removal of Chapek will really fix the issue, Disney as a board also seems to be more Wall Street based, and $$$$$ based than what they have been in the past. Developing attractions and benefits to please the consumer and put them in the bubble to forget the dog eat dog world is gone.

It will also take a major change in the board as well.

Rickcat96

The choice is yours, if you still find value to continue trips to Disney, have fun, enjoy the moment and drive on. Now, if you're hoping that future trips will return based on the nostalgia you have enjoyed from years past, sorry it's not returning.

Chappie's greatest move thus far was to monetize the lack of capacity with Genie+, making it the problem of the guest's, not theirs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bear with me, but this isn't all on Chapek. Lets face facts, more and more it looks like the board is also in this direction, or this clown would not have been able to do what he does, and get extended. Oh, but no one else can take his place - yeah thanks to him.

Net, I don't believe the removal of Chapek will really fix the issue, Disney as a board also seems to be more Wall Street based, and $$$$$ based than what they have been in the past. Developing attractions and benefits to please the consumer and put them in the bubble to forget the dog eat dog world is gone.

It will also take a major change in the board as well.
Totally agree. The board went south when they let Jobs get involved and the tech shrews started to be installed…

But then I fully believe Iger thought it was “his board” - hence leaking the spat with Slaphead to his press mouthpieces - and he lost. Nobody cares about Bob anymore…and here we go.

now they let the dog INTO the bubble and you have to pay “variable pricing based on demand” for the bottle of pepper spray to use to not be bitten.

Magic.

Phicinfan

Totally agree. The board went south when they let Jobs get involved and the tech shrews started to be installed…

But then I fully believe Iger thought it was “his board” - hence leaking the spat with Slaphead to his press mouthpieces - and he lost. Nobody cares about Bob anymore…and here we go.

now they let the dog INTO the bubble and you have to pay “variable pricing based on demand” for the bottle of pepper spray to use to not be bitten.

Magic.
Actually, the board scares me more. They are letting Chapek BE Chapek cause its filling their wallets and safes. But as the economy continues to dwindle, and free expenses drop, eventually all this cost driven work will stop being profitable.

All they will do is blame Chapek, remove him, but then we will have to wait an see additional years to see if they revert back to what it should be. Net the 5 years or so Martin suggested earlier may last a whole lot longer

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually, the board scares me more. They are letting Chapek BE Chapek cause its filling their wallets and safes. But as the economy continues to dwindle, and free expenses drop, eventually all this cost driven work will stop being profitable.

All they will do is blame Chapek, remove him, but then we will have to wait an see additional years to see if they revert back to what it should be. Net the 5 years or so Martin suggested earlier may last a whole lot longer
If recession sets in…which the street is actively trying to rig their way out of now…chapek is a very easy scapegoat for the board. They’ve all made nice cash off their stock grants this last month and yet STILL they can claim the stock is down 40% since 2021 and dump him in a second to get another “boost”. Kill switch.

ctrlaltdel

If recession sets in…which the street is actively trying to rig their way out of now…chapek is a very easy scapegoat for the board. They’ve all made nice cash off their stock grants this last month and yet STILL they can claim the stock is down 40% since 2021 and dump him in a second to get another “boost”. Kill switch.
Yeah, I don't exactly think Chapek is safe long-term. He got a relatively short contract extension. They likely want to see what happens post Covid and Disney+. Have to admit that Disney is in a stronger position then I would have thought though with the Parks being a money-machine and D+, pending any changes in subs due to the price increase, looking to be profitable relatively soon. A real recession (we may be in one now, but it is perhaps the "strongest" recession ever, with a still insanely strong job market) changes everything, though the vast majority of the pullback in consumer spending we've seen so far is not Disney's clientele (heavily concentrated in lowest income quartile).

DCLcruiser

And yet you paid. So clearly not high enough yet. Don’t forget to buy genie+ and lightning lanes.
Absolultely. I can't imagine what price would ever stop us from going. Granted we don't go every year, or multiple times per year, like some guests. Plus, when we do, it's 3-4 days, not a week+, and we stay off site (because of free accommodations we can use, not bc we have an issue with WDW resorts).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Absolultely. I can't imagine what price would ever stop us from going. Granted we don't go every year, or multiple times per year, like some guests. Plus, when we do, it's 3-4 days, not a week+, and we stay off site (because of free accommodations we can use, not bc we have an issue with WDW resorts).
Honest question: do you go less than you used to?

Mr Mindcrime

This is a "fan board" so I get the comments.

Problem is, TWDC is in the business of "making money" for its Shareholders. Which in turn makes money for Management. EVERYTHING else is secondary. Period. TWDC is NOT in the business of "making magic" for you or me. EVERYTHING they do, parks, merchandise, movies, etc., is created solely for the purpose of separating you ..... from your cash.

This ain't your parent's Disney. This ain't your Disney. This is 2022 Disney. So you either like what you see and thus financially support it. Or you don't. And right now, enough people must like what they are getting because TWDC is being financially supported in a big way. So, investors and management see no need to change a thing ... or "give us more park attractions" ....and in fact they are doubling down to see just how much they can extract from your wallet until there is nothing left to give.

Hang on to your nostalgia folks ..... but find something new to be passionate about. Unless of course you like the new TWDC :cool:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Great timing for those $96.xx/share stock options the Board received at the end of June.

Disstevefan1

This is a "fan board" so I get the comments.

Problem is, TWDC is in the business of "making money" for its Shareholders. Which in turn makes money for Management. EVERYTHING else is secondary. Period. TWDC is NOT in the business of "making magic" for you or me. EVERYTHING they do, parks, merchandise, movies, etc., is created solely for the purpose of separating you ..... from your cash.

This ain't your parent's Disney. This ain't your Disney. This is 2022 Disney. So you either like what you see and thus financially support it. Or you don't. And right now, enough people must like what they are getting because TWDC is being financially supported in a big way. So, investors and management see no need to change a thing ... or "give us more park attractions" ....and in fact they are doubling down to see just how much they can extract from your wallet until there is nothing left to give.

Hang on to your nostalgia folks ..... but find something new to be passionate about. Unless of course you like the new TWDC :cool:
THIS!☝️💯

DCLcruiser

Honest question: do you go less than you used to?
No, we have historically gone every few years. Lately, we have gone annually bc my parents moved to FL and there has been been new stuff (GE, etc). 2020 trip was cancelled on us, and I didn't want to go in 2021. So it will be nice to get back this year.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom