'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

TP2000

Once again, it is mostly positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes - both audience and critics - so no one needs to hear further from you on this matter until you have actually seen the freaking movie.

Don't worry, I don't have AppleTV+, so Luck is yet another cartoon movie I won't see.

But I'll continue with the Lassetter drunky jokes, because they make me giggle. Especially this time of evening when I have a drink in my hand my own damn self too. 🤣 🍸

ElvisMickey

100% honest review without trying to cause any arguments…this movie was not good, and I’m being generous. Watched it this morning, with an open mind, so I could have an honest opinion. Right off the bat, Chris Evans was polarizing. Then it had my interest for about 20 minutes until it became a snoozefest. The reliable PIXAR death had a tiny bit of an emotional feel for me, but, meh! Even Sox, who everyone raves about, was fine. Most of the jokes fell flat and it was WAY too long. For anyone old enough to get the reference, this was an unfunny, pathetic version of Michael Keaton’s “The Dream Team”...

LittleBuford

Just finished watching it. It was pretty boring, I have to say, and the opening text—“In 1995, Andy got a toy from his favourite movie. This is that movie”—totally clashed with the very contemporary feel of the film. I’d give it a B at most.

Disstevefan1

I guess I am a weirdo but I just saw Lightyear on Disney+ and I think it’s a GREAT MOVIE!
Perhaps it’s because I had such low expectations, and it was “free”, but I liked it a lot.

I think trying to link it to Andy and Toy Story just didn’t work. I think when they did that, it got folks thinking or over thinking, anyway, I liked the plot and the story twists and the way it made you think from different viewpoints using time travel as a tool.

This is a great (non Toy Story) standalone movie and it looks like they hinted at a sequel.

The only thing I found far fetched was how much that could build in a single year from nothing when it’s been 3 and a half years and counting, and we earthlings are still waiting for the WDW railroad and TRON to be completed 😂

LittleBuford

I’ve gone back several pages to try and get a sense of what others thought of the film, and instead I find myself mired in a bizarre black hole of anti-Pixar schadenfreude. Talk about thread derailment!

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Just finished watching it. It was pretty boring, I have to say, and the opening text—“In 1995, Andy got a toy from his favourite movie. This is that movie”—totally clashed with the very contemporary feel of the film. I’d give it a B at most.
I will admit that I still haven't seen it and I'm honestly not that interested: I loved Luca and Turning Red, though!

This notion that it was a 1990s action film, though, also never made sense from the previews to me. At least the way the previews were cut, it certainly didn't look like the kind of goofy Independence Day or Men In Black-type film that Andy may have conceivably watched and loved or that might have inspired such an action figure. That could have been kind of fun, riffing on the corny lines, pop singles, alien-invasion storylines, etc. For some reason, they seemed to want to make it look like a dark and serious sci-fi adventure that could have come out in the 2020s.

LittleBuford

I will admit that I still haven't seen it and I'm honestly not that interested: I loved Luca and Turning Red, though!

This notion that it was a 1990s action film, though, also never made sense from the previews to me. At least the way the previews were cut, it certainly didn't look like the kind of goofy Independence Day or Men In Black-type film that Andy may have conceivably watched and loved or that might have inspired such an action figure. That could have been kind of fun, riffing on the corny lines, pop singles, alien-invasion storylines, etc. For some reason, they seemed to want to make it look like a dark and serious sci-fi adventure that could have come out in the 2020s.
Goofiness was sorely missing. Zurg went from being the comically absurd supervillain we know and love to . . . well, I won’t spoil it just in case you change your mind and decide to watch. I actually don’t mind that they went in the direction that they did—it could have been quite entertaining had they done it well—but why they set things up with the needless and discordant “This is that movie” conceit is beyond me.

Sir_Cliff

Goofiness was sorely missing. Zurg went from being the comically absurd supervillain we know and love to . . . well, I won’t spoil it just in case you change your mind and decide to watch. I actually don’t mind that they went in the direction that they did—it could have been quite entertaining had they done it well—but why they set things up with the needless and discordant “This is that movie” conceit is beyond me.
It would be interesting to know how the development of this film went, as it seems like they wanted to make one type of movie but the conceit they came up with for making it fit within the Toy Story world didn't quite match that movie. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better pitching this as a reboot of a 1990s/80s movie if they were going to go this route. Again, though, it may be a sign you've got issues if you're already having to ask audiences to understand a somewhat convoluted justification for the movie's existence before they walk into the theatre. Perhaps if the movie itself was better, that wouldn't have mattered.

Overall, though, I really just wonder who was crying out for a darker, more serious reboot of the Toy Story franchise. This is where an affectionate homage to 1990s action movies would have worked and fit the zeitgeist quite nicely as well as perhaps fitting a bit better with the franchise. Think a preview that went with I Don't Want to Miss a Thing instead of Starman!

LittleBuford

Overall, though, I really just wonder who was crying out for a darker, more serious reboot of the Toy Story franchise. This is where an affectionate homage to 1990s action movies would have worked and fit the zeitgeist quite nicely as well as perhaps fitting a bit better with the franchise.
I agree with this wholeheartedly (all the more so because I'm feeling very nostalgic for the '90s these days).

lazyboy97o

It’s not even one of those 90s blockbusters that would have been contemporary to the events in Toy Story, it’s supposedly an old to Andy 80s action movie that was turned into an animated series which had an associated toy line which is the Buzz Lightyear toy we see in the Toy Story movies. So the animated series and it’s toy line were the big thing in 1995 (why getting a Buzz Lightyear was a big deal) but Andy also loved the older movie it was all based on.

Sir_Cliff

It’s not even one of those 90s blockbusters that would have been contemporary to the events in Toy Story, it’s supposedly an old to Andy 80s action movie that was turned into an animated series which had an associated toy line which is the Buzz Lightyear toy we see in the Toy Story movies. So the animated series and it’s toy line were the big thing in 1995 (why getting a Buzz Lightyear was a big deal) but Andy also loved the older movie it was all based on.
This is one of those pitches where you wonder why no-one stopped them halfway through and sent them back to the drawing board.

mf1972

watched it last night, i didn’t think it was that bad. nowhere near as good as the toy story movies. i agree the zurg thing is weird. made me laugh a few times, & sox is probably the best character in the movie. not 1 of pixar’s better efforts, but it wasn’t that bad.

TwilightZone

Dipping back in just for a second. I noticed there seems to be a much harder marketing push for Lightyear’s digital release than it ever had while it was in theaters, so far I have noticed it being on the front page of the iphone’s app store and an entire roku TV overlay that looks incredible. It seems disney really wants this movie to have a good second chance.

Anyways back into my hole I go.

mf1972

1 thing i kept thinking during the movie were these guys…
24BE7EFF-B0EA-4895-BB89-D103A51D3BC7.png
reminds me of this guy…
A9C30F6C-2AEF-4093-81CB-FCB0F6B75EF5.jpeg

MarvelCharacterNerd

I hadn't really thought about this previously but apparently the ban on this film theatrically in various countries is also extending to banning it from Disney+ in the same places:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom