Tower of Terror effects status watch

Maxonius

Has work started on Foxtrot? Tower is the longest wait in the park currently.
No, according to a castmember I talked to yesterday they forgot to do something during the refurb on echo. They finished a month or so early and needed to do “one last thing”. Also, it wasn’t a motor refurbishment. It was 100% computer stuff. Apparently the ride computer system needed a complete overhaul (from another ToT castmember).

Maxonius

No, according to a castmember I talked to yesterday they forgot to do something during the refurb on echo. They finished a month or so early and needed to do “one last thing”. Also, it wasn’t a motor refurbishment. It was 100% computer stuff. Apparently the ride computer system needed a complete overhaul (from another ToT castmember).
Although echo is currently testing rn, so it looks like it was a 1 or 2 day thing… hmm…

Rodj

Did you ask about any of the show effect issues to the CM?

SingleRider

Premium Member
From what I was told in January, they will remain running the modified sequences until they get brand new motors built. Rebuilt/refurbished motors are too risky for them.
I rode Echo after it had been closed for a couple of weeks (I think for a motor replacement) and it seemed more intense than Foxtrot to me.

Rodj

I rode Echo after it had been closed for a couple of weeks (I think for a motor replacement) and it seemed more intense than Foxtrot to me.
Yes, the motor for Echo was replaced in November last year but it was only a rebuilt motor. I specifically asked because of that and the coordinator told me that the rebuilt motor on Echo would (potentially) still not be able to handle the original Tower4 profiles.

Maxonius

If there’s one good thing from this refurb, it’s that the drop shaft audio is loud(ish) again and synced up. Only in echo, foxtrot is still a mess. Other audio is still not synced, but honestly I never found the hallway audio being desynced to be all that noticeable. The drop shaft audio being desynced is actually noticeable to a normal guest.

Rodj

If there’s one good thing from this refurb, it’s that the drop shaft audio is loud(ish) again and synced up. Only in echo, foxtrot is still a mess. Other audio is still not synced, but honestly I never found the hallway audio being desynced to be all that noticeable. The drop shaft audio being desynced is actually noticeable to a normal guest.
This isn’t necessarily true. A live stream today shown it still exactly the same as my last post. Sure, the VVC speakers are relatively loud, but the drop shaft speakers are still on the quiet side. Compare that to 2018 where the drop shaft speakers used to be very loud.
Echo still has around a 1-1.5 second desynchronization between the audio and motion, which is better than the 3-4 seconds on Foxtrot, but it is still not synchronized.

SplashJacket

I’m skeptical to say anything because I could be imagining it, but I rode Echo a few days ago and it was an utterly fantastic ride.

And I could be imagining it, but the drop profile felt substantially upgraded. Way better than I ever remember it. Utterly exhilarating and incredible!

Tom Morrow

I’m skeptical to say anything because I could be imagining it, but I rode Echo a few days ago and it was an utterly fantastic ride.

And I could be imagining it, but the drop profile felt substantially upgraded. Way better than I ever remember it. Utterly exhilarating and incredible!

It's possible you got profile 4, which, for whatever reason, has always been more intense than the other 3.

Rodj

It's possible you got profile 4, which, for whatever reason, has always been more intense than the other 3.
Profile 4 is the only profile that I felt reached the max speed and stayed there for a moment before slowing down again, since its the only one currently that drops the full length. Profile 1(Fear Every Drop) could of also before it got modified but I haven't experienced it before it got modified.

scxtt_31

I rode Tower twice last week and noticed a few things:
-Both sides seemed to be working consistently and on our first day at DHS the wait stayed relatively low as a result

-First time around they skipped the preshow due to high crowds, but the second time we got to see it and the audio was noticeably louder than usual. Backlight is still a bit noticeable but not as much as before

-The lights in the library also went off completely for the duration of the preshow, in recent years they’ve stayed on which distracted from the ambience and looked lazy

-Not sure if it was ever broken, but the caged motor’s “sparking” effect in the boiler room was working again

-Window projection in the hallways is still painfully bright and you can clearly tell when it ends

-Ghosts are still reflecting onto the floor, though this has been a known issue for years

-5th Dimension scene is honestly looking (and sounding) the best it has in ages, even Rod’s narration and the music as you enter the drop shaft are clearly audible

-The VVC and drop shaft audio tracks for both profiles I got (Window and Big Drops) were much louder than before, yet still terribly out of sync. In the latter’s case it took around 4 seconds from the audio starting for the elevator to actually move

-On my first ride the seat in front of me (row 2, closest to the wall) was out of order. Possibly just a seatbelt malfunction but still worth a mention

-Modified profiles are still being run but they felt much more powerful, especially the “Big Drops” one

Rodj

-Window projection in the hallways is still painfully bright and you can clearly tell when it ends
This is a combination of it being slightly bright but the main issue is that it is displaying in greyscale.
-5th Dimension scene is honestly looking (and sounding) the best it has in ages, even Rod’s narration and the music as you enter the drop shaft are clearly audible
This isn't really the case, or at least from July 13th(latest stream where someone rode ToT, however the preshow still had lighting on dim), the speakers were all over the place. The ones closest to the show shafts are more quiet, and are more louder towards the drop shaft. Not only that, but the BGM/SFX and narration/extra SFX/BGM track for the 5D were slightly out of sync from each other. This was more noticeable on Foxtrot side, though I am unsure if this is just because the BGM track became much more louder at the starfield doors, because before, you would mainly only hear the narration track at the starfield doors while the main BGM track would sound distant.
Speaking of the starfield doors, they are still wonky(or at least since July 13th).
-The VVC and drop shaft audio tracks for both profiles I got (Window and Big Drops) were much louder than before, yet still terribly out of sync. In the latter’s case it took around 4 seconds from the audio starting for the elevator to actually move
It depends when "before" is, but on Foxtrot side, (again at least from July 13th) the drop shaft speakers are MIA. Even then on Echo side, the drop shaft speakers are still somewhat quiet. The main way to tell is if you hear the lightning strike SFX entering into the drop shaft, that only plays from the drop shaft speakers.
This video shows what the drop sequence audio levels should sound like:

One thing I miss from this period is the ominous drone from the thunder SFX when entering the drop shaft.

scxtt_31

This is a combination of it being slightly bright but the main issue is that it is displaying in greyscale.

This isn't really the case, or at least from July 13th(latest stream where someone rode ToT, however the preshow still had lighting on dim), the speakers were all over the place. The ones closest to the show shafts are more quiet, and are more louder towards the drop shaft. Not only that, but the BGM/SFX and narration/extra SFX/BGM track for the 5D were slightly out of sync from each other. This was more noticeable on Foxtrot side, though I am unsure if this is just because the BGM track became much more louder at the starfield doors, because before, you would mainly only hear the narration track at the starfield doors while the main BGM track would sound distant.
Speaking of the starfield doors, they are still wonky(or at least since July 13th).

It depends when "before" is, but on Foxtrot side, (again at least from July 13th) the drop shaft speakers are MIA. Even then on Echo side, the drop shaft speakers are still somewhat quiet. The main way to tell is if you hear the lightning strike SFX entering into the drop shaft, that only plays from the drop shaft speakers.
This video shows what the drop sequence audio levels should sound like:

One thing I miss from this period is the ominous drone from the thunder SFX when entering the drop shaft.

The last time I rode Tower was on the 12th so a lot of this was probably still working while I was there haha. But yeah the starfield didn’t seem that wonky and neither did the audio levels in the 5D, but that probably could’ve changed recently

Rodj

Now that they tore down the TOT billboard, should the title of this thread be changed to, "Tower of Terror re theme watch" ;)
A retheme is very unlikely at the moment for the Florida ToT. I would expect the Paris Tower to be rethemed first before I would worry about the DHS Tower, but there is many more reasons that it would be more difficult than the DCA Tower:

1. Audio system needs a complete reprogramming, the last thing Disney would want is for a new ride to have messed up audio.
2. New Drop shaft motors
3. The Hollywood Tower Hotel sign has all of the camera equipment on it, meaning they would have to build a new platform for the camera system if the sign were to be removed.
4. Holiday projections would have to be remade or relocated.
5. Starfield Doors would have to be replaced by something else. They are not only for show, but to also hide the backstage equipment.

Besides, in January I got word from a coordinator that there is still plans for new show effects and drop sequence(s) with the existing theme.

Rodj

The LEDs inside the left side Memory Maker light on Echo are starting to fail completely.
1659574834612.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom