Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

LittleBuford

I don’t think it makes much sense to speculate on what Walt would or wouldn’t have wanted as far as statues are concerned. Many (perhaps most) commemorative statues are put up after the portrayed individual has died and have a lot more to do with the wishes of those commissioning the work than with the wishes of the person being commemorated. Unless Walt is on record as not wanting his likeness exhibited, I don’t see an issue with the various Partners statues.

Californian Elitist

And as I said, I don't think this is an accurate statement. He was fine with using his name and likeness to promote himself everywhere (including the very name of the park), so I don't think he would have a problem with a statue as a remembrance and tribute to him in the parks he started & inspired. Like I said, he wouldn't have allowed it while he was alive because thats a bit narcissistic, but I don't think he would have objected to a posthumous honor of a statue in his parks.
It’s a known fact that Walt Disney didn’t want too much of his likeness in Disneyland, particularly in the form of a statue. His wishes were honored until 1993, when Partners debuted.

But mkay.

Californian Elitist

I recognize and understand that much time has passed since Walt Disney’s death, and because of that, it can be pointless at times to try and keep to his wishes for DL 100% of the time. Although I think the statue thing should have been honored, I’ll make it clear that it’s not too big of a deal. It’s been there since I first started going, I pass by it each time I visit, and I admire it. Do I think it belongs? No, not really. Do I think it’s bad? No.

LittleBuford

A bit of a tangential and silly observation, but I’m very glad Walt’s jacket is properly buttoned on the Partners statue. Most men seem not to know the conventions for buttoning blazers and suit jackets (hint: never use all of the buttons!), but Walt is predictably debonair!

Lilofan

My position on Walt statues is the same as Walt's standard for trash can placement: there should be one every 30 feet.
More locations should get the talking trash can like at Electric Umbrella at Epcot. Brings a smile to others on a very hot, humid and very expensive day.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A bit of a tangential and silly observation, but I’m very glad Walt’s jacket is properly buttoned on the Partners statue. Most men seem not to know the conventions for buttoning blazers and suit jackets (hint: never use all of the buttons!), but Walt is predictably debonair!
Well... when he sits down at Dreamer's Point, I hope he knows he should unbutton the jacket!!

Cmdr_Crimson

Storytellers in DCA can definitely go.
That one makes more sense as it takes place during the time Walt arrived In California......Shanghai.....On the other hand...Makes no sense..
1200px-20161203%E4%B8%8A%E6%B5%B7%E8%BF%AA%E5%A3%AB%E5%B0%BC%E4%B9%90%E5%9B%AD%E5%8D%8E%E7%89%B9%E8%BF%AA%E5%A3%AB%E5%B0%BC%E4%B8%8E%E7%B1%B3%E8%80%81%E9%BC%A0%E9%93%9C%E5%83%8F.jpg

el_super

Walt cast himself to star in the weekly series/advertisement for a park named after himself called "The Wonderful World of Disney."

The reason why people idolize Walt so much is because he erected the idol.

Walt licensed his likeness back to the studio for his own personal financial gain. He got paid for those intros.

Walt supposedly said he didn't want a statue (or sometimes an AA is mentioned), but if so he never got it in writing. At least not that I've seen. He ended up putting a tribute to his own father in Disneyland, so in a way it makes sense that those came after him put a tribute of Walt in the park, considering there really wasn't one before Partners was added.

My only real issue with it, is how it was overused after it was installed at Disneyland. they have copies of them in Burbank and Florida now. If it was meant to be a tribute to him, in line with the other park tributes, it should have been unique.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yeah, that kind of mistake is just wild. It takes lack of attention to another level. I believe the DLR was able to accommodate the family and convert their WDW package to a DLR one, though.

I don’t think I have to say this here, but folks, PLEASE make sure you’re traveling to the right state and/or country when visiting Disney parks around the world

Wait... are you saying Disneyland Paris isn't a store on the Las Vegas strip near the Bellagio and Paris Paris??

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Walt licensed his likeness back to the studio for his own personal financial gain. He got paid for those intros.

Walt supposedly said he didn't want a statue (or sometimes an AA is mentioned), but if so he never got it in writing. At least not that I've seen. He ended up putting a tribute to his own father in Disneyland, so in a way it makes sense that those came after him put a tribute of Walt in the park, considering there really wasn't one before Partners was added.

My only real issue with it, is how it was overused after it was installed at Disneyland. they have copies of them in Burbank and Florida now. If it was meant to be a tribute to him, in line with the other park tributes, it should have been unique.

There are the two window tributes to Walt, but I don't know if they went in before or after the Partners statue. I had the silly little book on those somewhere, I may need to dig it out.

el_super

There are the two window tributes to Walt, but I don't know if they went in before or after the Partners statue. I had the silly little book on those somewhere, I may need to dig it out.

I honestly don't recall any at Disneyland. Disneyland's window displays are probably the most unique since most of them were installed with Walt's blessing and paid tribute to a lot of people outside of Disney (ABC and such).

Of course there were other tributes at Disneyland to Walt... some going back to his time like the initials in the balcony of the gallery. Maybe Walt was just a big fan of subtlety.

Californian Elitist

That one makes more sense as it takes place during the time Walt arrived In California......Shanghai.....On the other hand...Makes no sense..
1200px-20161203%E4%B8%8A%E6%B5%B7%E8%BF%AA%E5%A3%AB%E5%B0%BC%E4%B9%90%E5%9B%AD%E5%8D%8E%E7%89%B9%E8%BF%AA%E5%A3%AB%E5%B0%BC%E4%B8%8E%E7%B1%B3%E8%80%81%E9%BC%A0%E9%93%9C%E5%83%8F.jpg
It’s not that it doesn’t make sense. But the park has deviated so much from the California theme by adding Marvel, more Pixar, etc. I just feel that if they’re going to put in such a statue, they should at least try to keep the park as Californian as possible. They were on a really good track at the beginning of DCA’s makeover, but they’ve taken so many steps back. It’s frustrating.

I don’t know what’s going on in Shanghai lmao. Once again, I didn’t know this existed there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom