Magic Key Renewals?

shambolicdefending

I'm going to repeat a slightly self-serving point that I've argued a couple of times before.

The added costs and annoyances that locals are experiencing under the new system are not actually new. They're the type of things non-local, non-APs have been experiencing for years.

I realized a while ago that the long-time locals did not perceive how different a visit to Disneyland was for somebody outside of the SoCal AP "bubble." The legacy system offered a value that was nothing short of a steal compared to what a Disney trip entailed for everybody else, and very few legacy APs were really conscious of that.

My point isn't to rub it in anybody's face. I don't begrudge any legacy APs. If we had stayed in California I'm sure my family would've been right there with all of you, and we'd probably be right there now with all the same disappointments and complaints about the MKs.

It is sad that Disneyland isn't what it was (and never will be again). But, as the grief process over the legacy APs runs its course, I think most people will find the same level of acceptance that I found when becoming a "tourist" visitor. Disneyland can still be great. It will just become a much smaller part of a lot of peoples' lives - and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited:

Sailor310

Original Poster
Ok, back to the whole reason I started this. Has anyone gotten an email or heard anything official (or even new rumors) about renewals?

Emmanuel

Ok, back to the whole reason I started this. Has anyone gotten an email or heard anything official (or even new rumors) about renewals?

I logged into my Disneyland account recently to find this after someone noticed this on Twitter.

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 7.46.17 AM.png

The button just takes you to the Magic Key page for now

mickEblu

Ongoing litigation can be a wildcard. It's not implausible that the lawyers could recommend suspending all new sales and renewals until they have a better idea about what will happen with the lawsuit.

Sure it’s possible but highly improbable that they don’t at least offer renewals soon IMO. That’s a lot of money lost. Its one thing for a few anomalies who’s keys expired months ago. It’s another thing losing the revenue from a huge group of their most loyal Key holders who purchased last August and September. They re going to offer some sort of annual pass soon. It might not look exactly like Magic Key but it will be something that lawyers have deemed safe. Even if it’s just a stop gap until the future “Key” Program is finalized.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

I'm going to repeat a slightly self-serving point that I've argued a couple of times before.

The added costs and annoyances that locals are experiencing under the new system are not actually new. They're the type of things non-local, non-APs have been experiencing for years.

I realized a while ago that the long-time locals did not perceive how different a visit to Disneyland was for somebody outside of the SoCal AP "bubble." The legacy system offered a value that was nothing short of a steal compared to what a Disney trip entailed for everybody else, and very few legacy APs were really conscious of that.

My point isn't to rub it in anybody's face. I don't begrudge any legacy APs. If we had stayed in California I'm sure my family would've been right there with all of you, and we'd probably be right there now with all the same disappointments and complaints about the MKs.

It is sad that Disneyland isn't what it was (and never will be again). But, as the grief process over the legacy APs runs its course, I think most people will find the same level of acceptance that I found when becoming a "tourist" visitor. Disneyland can still be great. It will just become a much smaller part of a lot of peoples' lives - and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Even as a local I have always thought this way, especially when the APs were cheap. The socal AP would be like 300 bucks and allow unlimited weekday visits while a 2 day parkhopper costs just as much.

I don't know why the model was to subsidize return visits so much but it never felt fair for the non APs.

Disstevefan1

Sure it’s possible but highly improbable that they don’t at least offer renewals soon IMO. That’s a lot of money lost. Its one thing for a few anomalies who’s keys expired months ago. It’s another thing losing the revenue from a huge group of their most loyal Key holders who purchased last August and September. They re going to offer some sort of annual pass soon. It might not look exactly like Magic Key but it will be something that lawyers have deemed safe. Even if it’s just a stop gap until the future “Key” Program is finalized.
I want to believe they will not eliminate APs, but it sure feels like it’s going in that direction. The leadership has made it clear, their data shows, AP holders do not spend “enough” money while in the parks.

There is a possibility they will resume some sort of “AP like” program, if they do, it will be very expensive, and it’s possible renewals will be forced to renew to the new “AP like” program.

mickEblu

I want to believe they will not eliminate APs, but it sure feels like it’s going in that direction. The leadership has made it clear, their data shows, AP holders do not spend “enough” money while in the parks.

There is a possibility they will resume some sort of “AP like” program, if they do, it will be very expensive, and it’s possible renewals will be forced to renew to the new “AP like” program.

With all due respect this is so false and also a very tired and wishful way of thinking that people grasp onto anytime their is slightest “hope” that APs might be eliminated. The data is there and it shows that without APs they are not getting the amount of bodies they want in the parks nor the amount of spending.

Not saying this is you as you want the program to come back

Newtwo

I go about every 3 weeks to the park on weekends.

Just based off my non scientific observations, since Genie and LL has started, it just feels like there is less people in the parks.....the pathways don't feel as packed........but the lines for the rides are longer.

Disstevefan1

With all due respect this is so false and also a very tired and wishful way of thinking that people grasp onto anytime their is slightest “hope” that APs might be eliminated. The data is there and it shows that without APs they are not getting the amount of bodies they want in the parks nor the amount of spending.

Not saying this is you as you want the program to come back
Thanks for your thoughts.

I am not sure an opinion can be false, it's just an opinion.

No one wants APs back more than I.

TWDC does NOT want bodies in the parks.

TWDC want the least number of bodies, who spend the most money, in the parks.

Chapek stated this in public:
“AS YOU KNOW, DIFFERENT GUESTS, DEPENDING ON WHERE THEY ARE COMING FROM, HAVE DIFFERENT RELATIVE VALUES IN TERMS OF THEIR CONTRIBUTION AS A GUEST TO THE PARK. TYPICALLY SOMEONE WHO TRAVELS AND STAYS FOR 5-7 DAYS IS MARGINALLY MORE VALUABLE TO THE BUSINESS THAN SOMEONE WHO COMES IN ON AN ANNUAL PASS AND STAYS A DAY OR TWO AND CONSUMES LESS MERCHANDISE AND FOOD AND BEVERAGE.”

Disstevefan1

I go about every 3 weeks to the park on weekends.

Just based off my non scientific observations, since Genie and LL has started, it just feels like there is less people in the parks.....the pathways don't feel as packed........but the lines for the rides are longer.
I am guessing it feels less crowded since most of the people are in lines waiting to get on attractions due to the totally broken Genie+ system?

mickEblu

“AS YOU KNOW, DIFFERENT GUESTS, DEPENDING ON WHERE THEY ARE COMING FROM, HAVE DIFFERENT RELATIVE VALUES IN TERMS OF THEIR CONTRIBUTION AS A GUEST TO THE PARK. TYPICALLY SOMEONE WHO TRAVELS AND STAYS FOR 5-7 DAYS IS MARGINALLY MORE VALUABLE TO THE BUSINESS THAN SOMEONE WHO COMES IN ON AN ANNUAL PASS AND STAYS A DAY OR TWO AND CONSUMES LESS MERCHANDISE AND FOOD AND BEVERAGE.”

The notion that APs don’t spend a lot of money is false. Ideally sure, Disney wants less bodies spending more money. But that has not happened to the level that they would like. Which is why they never get rid of the AP program so more bodies = more money.

Dapale

Although true, they seem to have introduced a counter-intuitive system with Genie+ & Individual Lightning Lanes. The overall spending of guests on these services ultimately depends on how long the lines feel (and how high the posted wait times are... for those tricked into believing them lol). A very interesting decision that goes against their whole "PR philosophy" of fewer people = higher spending.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Just an FYI, Chapek was speaking in generalities rather than about DLR specifically. In fact I would say that comment is more directed toward WDW guests rather than DLR guests.

They've gone with the no AP model at DLR and found they weren't getting the amount of guests they wanted in the Park. So they know they need a happy medium of both day guests and an AP guest in order to get the numbers they want.

mickEblu

Just an FYI, Chapek was speaking in generalities rather than about DLR specifically. In fact I would say that comment is more directed toward WDW guests rather than DLR guests.

They've gone with the no AP model at DLR and found they weren't getting the amount of guests they wanted in the Park. So they know they need a happy medium of both day guests and an AP guest in order to get the numbers they want.

Right I was going to touch on that to. It doesn’t even sound like he’s talking about the typical “local” AP. It sounds like he’s talking about an AP that travels to the park from time to time which isn’t the typical DLR AP. That sounds more like an out of state/ non local DLR AP or maybe WDW like you suggest.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Right I was going to touch on that to. It doesn’t even sound like he’s talking about the typical “local” AP. It sounds like he’s talking about an AP that travels to the park from time to time which isn’t the typical DLR AP. That sounds more like an out of state/ non local DLR AP or maybe WDW like you suggest.
Yep, which from my understanding is the typical AP at WDW. Fly in for the weekend, and then leave. Not what they want for WDW.

DLR does have APs that travel, such as myself coming from the Bay Area, but we're the type that stay for 2-3 days every couple months and spends like a typical tourist at DLR. Which is exactly the type of AP that Disney wants for DLR.

So what it really sounds like is they need to adjust the WDW APs not the DLR APs.

CaptinEO

This.

The only APs that are necessary to the company are the cheap ones that flood the parks on weekdays (which would usually be dead).

Unless Disney prices their weekday tickets properly to meet the lower demand this will continue to be the case.

On a weekday they'd rather have some discount admission people in there to fill in the remaining capacity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom