News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

BrianLo

So do I. But it has to be admitted that, while it’s theming is absolutely spectacular, Gringott’s lacks some physical thrills - if you’re expecting a conventional coaster-in-the-dark, it doesn’t deliver. That’s always been a legitimate criticism of the ride. It’s become more intense recently, however, because WDW is in the process of opening two (incredibly expensive) rides that excel as coasters-in-the-dark but have decidedly lackluster theming that poorly represents their related franchise, so that balance has to be celebrated and the lampooning of the alternative (great theming, lackluster coaster) intensified. All of a sudden theming doesn’t REALLY matter that much.

Of course, had Gringotts had the theming/ physical thrills balance of Cosmic Rewind, the ridicule among Disney fans would have been even MORE intense - after all, the emphasis on thrills over narrative has been a long-standing criticism of Universal.

I really don’t think that is a fair thing to conclude about what people HERE have to say. I don’t care about some other weird demographic of the internet. Most of the criticisms here are not lobbied at velocicoaster and especially Hagrid’s. People want Universal to be on Disney’s level (and it is), but get upset when we apply the same criticisms against it as we do Disney.

Universal needs more variety, but don’t try and dilute the overtly thrill rides to achieve that.

Particularly when it comes to Diagon Alley that built an extremely wonderful and in many ways extremely book and movies accurate attraction with the Hogwarts Express. An attraction I think is superior to the headliner because it understood its mandate so well.

Gringotts fails most of all because it misses the point. Not having ridden Mario Kart, I think that applies likely there too. I am hopeful though that the broader EU comes from the more recent mindset that created Velocicoaster and Hagrid.

Disney Glimpses

Looks like they poured the pad for the entrance sign?

Via Blog Mickey as well:

1657754206250.png

J4546

im liking the teardrop planters and concrete work in the area so far

im curious to see what treatment is given to the backstage area thats behind the train tracks between tron and space mountain....its a massive space and will be easily seen from the elevated walkway going into/out of Tron. I assume they will do something and not just leave it baren but I dunno...

Disney Glimpses

Not that things couldn't have changed, but doesn't the attraction signage in the concept art occupy the more trapezoidal planter at the end of the currently poured section of the ramp? I think this one is just the base for yet another planter that looks roughly like the one near the orange excavator, just mirrored and rotated 180°.
Yeah but I just couldn't think of anything else that this could be haha

JMcMahonEsq

So do I. But it has to be admitted that, while it’s theming is absolutely spectacular, Gringott’s lacks some physical thrills - if you’re expecting a conventional coaster-in-the-dark, it doesn’t deliver. That’s always been a legitimate criticism of the ride. It’s become more intense recently, however, because WDW is in the process of opening two (incredibly expensive) rides that excel as coasters-in-the-dark but have decidedly lackluster theming that poorly represents their related franchise, so that balance has to be celebrated and the lampooning of the alternative (great theming, lackluster coaster) intensified. All of a sudden theming doesn’t REALLY matter that much.

Of course, had Gringotts had the theming/ physical thrills balance of Cosmic Rewind, the ridicule among Disney fans would have been even MORE intense - after all, the emphasis on thrills over narrative has been a long-standing criticism of Universal.

Is it a legitimate criticism though? The ride itself helps fill a niche for Universal for a dark ride that has great theming, is based on very popular IP, and isn't a physcial thrill intense ride so it appears to a wide audience. Not every ride has to be a physical thrill ride, and from its inception it didn't seem like Gringots was meant to be one.

Also I would ask how many times have you rode GotG? From our experience and everyone who was riding the ride with us over the 4th weekend, no one found the theming to be lackluster or disappointing.

Disney Glimpses

That is definitely duct work. I think it is most likely simple ventilation that will push and pull ambient outside air. Uninsulated air conditioning in that space would be a mess re: condensation.

As for the lights, the wiring suggests they are just normal lights with no auxiliary control for color changes (unless it's some wireless system). And they have been heavily painted over (see the light all the way to the right). No idea what's going on here, it's a little strange.

Source: Blog Mickey

1657812367868.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom