Is the integration of digital technology within Walt Disney World impacting the experience of those with limited digital capabilities?

KerryDoesDisney

Original Poster

Huge favour needed!

I am a Master’s student at Glasgow Caledonian University studying International Tourism & Events Management. For my Master’s Research Project I am investigating the question: “Is the integration of digital technology within Walt Disney World impacting the experience of those with limited digital capabilities?”.

To gather data on this, I have a questionnaire that needs filled out by a very niche group of people who fit the following criteria:
- Have visited Walt Disney World in the last 5 years.
- Born in/before 1964 OR any individual who struggles to use/understand modern digital technology to the fullest extent.

If you fit this criteria, I would be so grateful if you could fill out my questionnaire for me to complete my research.

I have supplied a link to the questionnaire, but any questions please either email kcress200@caledonian.ac.uk or message here and I’d be more than happy to answer.

Thank you!

Kerry

KerryDoesDisney

Original Poster
the answer is an obvious "yes"

if one lacks the digital sophistication to navigate what Disney has rolled out, then of course that guest's experience will be adversely affected.
Hiya! So sorry to bother you but would you be like to fill out my questionnaire? (If you fit the criteria). I would love to document your responses. It’s okay if you don’t want too though, I understand it’s rather time consuming and you don’t personally benefit from it anyway. Thank you so much! Kerry x

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Both of my sisters are in their early 60s and neither have trouble using MDE. At least no more than the rest of us, lol.

KerryDoesDisney

Original Poster
Both of my sisters are in their early 60s and neither have trouble using MDE. At least no more than the rest of us, lol.
Hello!
Thank you so much for replying and for supplying this interesting information. Do you think your sisters might be interested in filling out the questionnaire so I can officially record the response? It’s okay if not possible, but thank you anyway!
Kerry :)

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Hello!
Thank you so much for replying and for supplying this interesting information. Do you think your sisters might be interested in filling out the questionnaire so I can officially record the response? It’s okay if not possible, but thank you anyway!
Kerry :)
I will text them a link and ask. Hope you get a good sample size. Good luck!

TrainsOfDisney

I love technology, I'm a huge apple geek. But I don't like being forced to use tech.

When it was included in my AP I used MaxPass, but I didn't feel forced to use it, I could still get traditional paper tickets if I wanted to.

Sometimes it's convenient to use mobile order, especially if I can make an order on my phone while waiting for a drink from Starbucks / Joffreys. But I don't want to be forced to use it.

I personally think it should be illegal to force guests to own technology in order to use discounts, reservations, etc.

KerryDoesDisney

Original Poster
I love technology, I'm a huge apple geek. But I don't like being forced to use tech.

When it was included in my AP I used MaxPass, but I didn't feel forced to use it, I could still get traditional paper tickets if I wanted to.

Sometimes it's convenient to use mobile order, especially if I can make an order on my phone while waiting for a drink from Starbucks / Joffreys. But I don't want to be forced to use it.

I personally think it should be illegal to force guests to own technology in order to use discounts, reservations, etc.
Hello!
Thank you for such an interesting and detailed response. I would love to record this for my research project, if it’s not too much trouble would you be interested in filling out my questionnaire so I can officially document your reply? (If you meet the criteria). It’s totally okay if not possible though! Thank you so much anyway! Kerry x

TrainsOfDisney

Hello!
Thank you for such an interesting and detailed response. I would love to record this for my research project, if it’s not too much trouble would you be interested in filling out my questionnaire so I can officially document your reply? (If you meet the criteria). It’s totally okay if not possible though! Thank you so much anyway! Kerry x
Do you think I meet the criteria? I was born much later than the 1960’s and I don’t struggle with technology at all.

GuyFawkes

Interesting that you picked 1964. People born much later than that can be clueless on tech. 64 is a good point to start because those people and later were really the first wave of personal computer people. I was born after 1964 but I was a rare person who learned how to program in 3 languages and was pretty much on the cut edge for a while. I have a friend who went into computer games, in their beginning making a fortune in the process. No one thought that was a good career move.

My opinion is I simply don't like tech added when it isn't needed or it is collecting way to much information about you.

SteveAZee

Huge favour needed!

I am a Master’s student at Glasgow Caledonian University studying International Tourism & Events Management. For my Master’s Research Project I am investigating the question: “Is the integration of digital technology within Walt Disney World impacting the experience of those with limited digital capabilities?”.

To gather data on this, I have a questionnaire that needs filled out by a very niche group of people who fit the following criteria:
- Have visited Walt Disney World in the last 5 years.
- Born in/before 1964 OR any individual who struggles to use/understand modern digital technology to the fullest extent.

If you fit this criteria, I would be so grateful if you could fill out my questionnaire for me to complete my research.

I have supplied a link to the questionnaire, but any questions please either email kcress200@caledonian.ac.uk or message here and I’d be more than happy to answer.

Thank you!

Kerry
Kerry... just to clarify, I was born before 1964 but I'm usually fine with digital tech in my life... still want my responses? I think the 'OR' part of the group (anyone born before 1964 as well as anyone who struggles with tech seems huge) so I wanted to check.

Minnesota disney fan

My husband and I fit all your criteria; however, I don't fill out questionnaires.
We have been going to WDW since l979, before the big tech push. It was a great time. Everyone was equal and waited in the same lines. There was no anger at waiting like there is now.
Our last visit was the first week of March, 2020, right when covid hit. We didn't use technology at all. We used our fast passes and just stood in line otherwise. If I wanted to check ride availability, I would just go to a kiosk to do so. It was easy.
Now? We would be at a big disadvantage at WDW.
We don't have a smart phone, nor do we want one. I have an old flip phone, and refuse to buy a new Iphone just to use in the parks. What a ripoff. I know most people have these, but there are still people who love disney who don't keep up with technology.
So, we would definitely be affected by the over use of tech at disney. We have decided to leave disney and go to other places for vacation. It is mostly due to the much named changes that disney has made, not just the tech.
I hope this info helps even though I don't do questionnaires. Maybe you should change your method from that to a set of questions that can be answered without involving a questinnaire.

TrainsOfDisney

We don't have a smart phone, nor do we want one. I have an old flip phone, and refuse to buy a new Iphone just to use in the parks.
My parents are the same way. My mom was a passholder for many years and I think she would be extremely frustrated to be told she can’t even get a discount at a gift shop because she doesn’t have a smartphone. Again, that practice should be illegal.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Form completed and submitted.

Have you considered how you'll differentiate between those born before 1964 who are "IT challenged" from those who are currently or were recently employed in information technology fields?

Like me.

We may skew your results.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom