News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Lil Copter Cap

I enjoyed the recording far more than the show in-person. But it became a showcase of live performers that truly sold the 'show'. Not the technology, barges, pyro, or water jets. Performers. This can't be replicated every night unless Disney pays for live actors and we all know how that's panning out with other live performance across the resort.

The show is still incredibly lackluster and I stand behind my belief that Someday is the ONLY song in the show that is going for a communal/universal theme of togetherness. All other songs are so character-specific (which is fine, but not for a show about living together in harmony).

We'll see how this thing morphs over time, but I'm still utterly disappointed in Disney Live Entertainment really botching a narrative storyline with this nighttime show.

Texas84

Not a big fan of this show but last night was amazing. Switched to RTV1 to get their reaction and they caught some of the entertainers leaving. That was a lot of fun. Some were taking selfies with the fans. The singer in the red Chinese dress was bowing and thanking the fans outside. They also said the bagpipe player from Off Kilter was there (Jamie?). I need to go watch it again.

brettf22

Premium Member
That was a well done production. And I guess this D+ show is like most Disney World commercials. Get people hyped up to come to the parks by showing them something pretty cool ... that they can't actually see or do in the parks. Kinda like the commercials showing a family roaming around an almost empty park, or showing Cinderella roaming freely, stopping to talk to just your child. But will it help Harm's guest satisfaction ratings? Or will people say "Wait, this isn't what we saw on Disney+."

Cmdr_Crimson

After waisting 30 mins watching an exaggerated lip syncing and butchering a Mediocre score of a TV special I had one thing in mind...
when-are-they-going-to-get-to-the-fireworks-factory-milhouse-van-houten.gif

I think I saw something at the end...But, I blinked too quick too tell..

michmousefan

I enjoyed the recording far more than the show in-person. But it became a showcase of live performers that truly sold the 'show'. Not the technology, barges, pyro, or water jets. Performers. This can't be replicated every night unless Disney pays for live actors and we all know how that's panning out with other live performance across the resort.

The show is still incredibly lackluster and I stand behind my belief that Someday is the ONLY song in the show that is going for a communal/universal theme of togetherness. All other songs are so character-specific (which is fine, but not for a show about living together in harmony).

We'll see how this thing morphs over time, but I'm still utterly disappointed in Disney Live Entertainment really botching a narrative storyline with this nighttime show.
The show still suffers greatly in comparison to Reflections of Earth (to be fair, likely anything would; it was a masterpiece). However, the slightly re-pyroed finale with "Someday," IMHO, does serve the "global togetherness" theme fairly well... it's the only thing in the show that comes close to the emotional energy of the ROE finale.

StarArceus

But was any of the vocals really live? It sounded far too polished and produced to be live. I’m saying no way…it was all lip synced.
I noticed too, but most vocals were live, but it sounds so similar to the score that it feels recorded. It wasn't lip-synced either, because hints, you will notice that the singers either won't be on stage or falling to sync their lips.

Cliff

I noticed too, but most vocals were live, but it sounds so similar to the score that it feels recorded. It wasn't lip-synced either, because hints, you will notice that the singers either won't be on stage or falling to sync their lips.
No...this was 100% entirely a studio recording. All the vocals were recorded in sound proof vocal booths and edited. This was not live "music". It was a 100% live lip-sync "performance". The original background music recording was left intact but they layed down new studio vocal tracks over it and had these new folks pretend to sing it at Epcot.

Stevek

Lip-sync'd...100% NOT a live recording. It was completely a studio recording. C'mon guys....it was billed as a "live" music event. It was just a studio remix with muscians and singers fake performing it. They didnt even try to add fake enviromental sounds or even reverb. Its just a dry studio sound-proof room recording.

In general....I hate all fake live, lip-sync'd "performances" in ANY music situation. I'd rather hear the imperfection of REAL singing and music playing. If I paid for a "live" concert and got lip-syncing? I'd ask for my money back. This is the kind of stuff that Brittney Spears and other's like that do...not something real muscians do.

Well?...at least it looked cool.
There are certain people out there saying it was all live. Stated that they could hear the singers? Perhaps it was live at the park but lip-synced for the TV?

Cliff

T
There's literally no way that those singers were all 100% live based on what was shown on TV.
Those muscians have ear monitors that they use to hear the backing track so they can follow it for the show. They "might" have been actually singing along with the master track. However, what "we" heard in the produced video was the 100% studio recording that was made just for this show. All of it was recorded in a sound proof room and edited. Non of those vocals were actually live with the exception of the live "talking" parts.

Stevek

T

Those muscians have ear monitors that they use to hear the backing track so they can follow it for the show. They "might" have been actually singing along with the master track. However, what "we" heard in the produced video was the 100% studio recording that was made just for this show. All of it was recorded in a sound proof room and edited. Non of those vocals were actually live with the exception of the live "talking" parts.
For sure...and given your background, I would think you would be able to recognize that better than some.

Cmdr_Crimson

That choir looked waaaay to excited to be singing this.

CeciliaKy

Not a big fan of this show but last night was amazing. Switched to RTV1 to get their reaction and they caught some of the entertainers leaving. That was a lot of fun. Some were taking selfies with the fans. The singer in the red Chinese dress was bowing and thanking the fans outside. They also said the bagpipe player from Off Kilter was there (Jamie?). I need to go watch it again.
yes. Jamie played in the Brave segment.

Cliff

I think we can cut Disney some slack on the fake live lip syncing. Thinking more about it here....if this was a "true" live performance with everybody playing and singing in real-time, that would have been a really hard production to pull off. It would have required tons of sound checking, carefull mic setups and a nasty-hard mix job around the lands....all at once. The potential for error in a spread-out outdoor event like this and keeping it all tight with the live lagoon display and fireworks? Yeah...that would have been pure AV Hell and too risky for a live show.

The way they did it was much more practicle. Lip syncing to a pre recorded, pre mixed studio track that was already playing in paralell with Harmonious itself was so much easier. Plus 90% of the viewers would not even look that closely to notice anyway.

Faking the audio and making really nice visuals prolly was the best production choice after all.

Stevek

I think we can cut Disney some slack on the fake live lip syncing. Thinking more about it here....if this was a "true" live performance with everybody playing and singing in real-time, that would have been a really hard production to pull off. It would have required tons of sound checking, carefull mic setups and a nasty-hard mix job around the lands....all at once. The potential for error in a spread-out outdoor event like this and keeping it all tight with the live lagoon display and fireworks? Yeah...that would have been pure AV Hell and too risky for a live show.

The way they did it was much more practicle. Lip syncing to a pre recorded, pre mixed studio track that was already playing in paralell with Harmonious itself was so much easier. Plus 90% of the viewers would not even look that closely to notice anyway.

Faking the audio and making really nice visuals prolly was the best production choice after all.
I have zero issue with them lip syncing, just find funny that anyone could actually think that was live. I don’t think Disney does a lot of truly live performances on their shows.

Cliff

I have zero issue with them lip syncing, just find funny that anyone could actually think that was live. I don’t think Disney does a lot of truly live performances on their shows.
Yeah....I initially scoffed and shook my head at the whole deal. But, now that I think about it, if they "had" done a 100% real live performance in the way it was produced? It would have been a nightmare that would have required WAY more setup and preperation and testing rehersal. This is an outdoor park, not an Academy Awards stage in Hollywood that you can close for a month.

Doing a real live show "properly" with all the preperation needed would have trippled the budget of this show. It also would have opened it up to artist performance mistakes too.

Im OK with the way they did it now. It makes sense and it was necessary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom