Return to normality tracker

CaptainAmerica

Until Chapek downsizes to a yurt, he can personally pay the Mousekeepers a living wage!!!!11 I shouldn't be expected to pay one dime extra!!!1111
People agreed with this unironically.

I never thought I'd see the day that even though the Federal minimum wage is $7.25 and the FL M.W. is $10, that the new norm for entry positions is mostly at $15 simply due to supply and demand (and unions).
Sure, if by "supply" you mean closed borders fueled by xenophobia and germaphobia from consecutive presidential administrations, and if by "demand" you mean two years where travel and entertainment were difficult-to-impossible and the federal government sending $12,000 to every middle class family of four. Sure, supply and demand.

Last edited:

UpAllNight

So much excuse making for Disney here. It’s this kind of mentality that allows the kind of shoddy service that Universal are managing to avoid down the road.

They’ve failed to plan and are CURRENTLY charging us all more for worse service already - so the nonsense about not wanting price rises is mute. They’ve already happened, and Disney are rolling in it whilst people make excuses for them.

Yes they should be paying staff more in a price driven service industry - it’s happened in most service industries where competition for staff is high.

And you know what? In many industries it’s the companies that are taking the relatively short term financial hit to pay for it.

But I’m sure people will continue to pay $8000 for light servicing of their hotel rooms every other day, because poor Disney can’t afford it. Short term mentality. Sensible people won’t return because they know when they’re being ripped off.

CaptainAmerica

So much excuse making for Disney here. It’s this kind of mentality that allows the kind of shoddy service that Universal are managing to avoid down the road.
Are you under the impression that Universal offers daily housekeeping at all of their resorts?

They’ve failed to plan and are CURRENTLY charging us all more for worse service already - so the nonsense about not wanting price rises is mute. They’ve already happened, and Disney are rolling in it whilst people make excuses for them.
The term is "moot."

Yes they should be paying staff more in a price driven service industry - it’s happened in most service industries where competition for staff is high.
Universal does not pay more than Disney.

MagicHappens1971

The lack of normal housekeeping is the most jarring IMO when you’re paying Disney resort prices. Especially since Swolphin up the road has been doing it since late last year

DisneyHead123

While much more needs to be done to ensure an equitable and living wage for all people, I never thought I'd see the day that even though the Federal minimum wage is $7.25 and the FL M.W. is $10, that the new norm for entry positions is mostly at $15 simply due to supply and demand (and unions).

Just a few years ago when people were floating $15 as the new minimum wage, people scoffed at it as ridiculously high and unattainable. And in a way, it was, since the Federal and most state legislatures couldn't get near that number. And yet, here it is.
The sad thing is that as soon as it happened, the gains started to get eaten up by inflation. Wage increases alone don’t seem like a solution regarding quality of life equality, although I don’t know what the solution is.

I think Disney building housing is a step in the right direction. Will be curious how that initiative works out. It seems to me that when blue collar workers made a decent salary and could afford to raise a family back in the days of manufacturing and factory jobs, company housing was often part of the equation.

bcoachable

The problem is that executive compensation is market based. The company needs to hire qualified and competent people (though I would agree the model isn't working thus far). Ultimately, it is going to fall to consumers; any reduction in executive pay to increase wages would be minimal and insignificant at best.
I would like to insert that just as Executives pay is market based, so are the Custodial,Food Service, Maid service and even tram/parking lot attendees wages… follow the money and you will find the priorities of the company. In this current time, WDW has a need to keep Wall Street smiling.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I think pay is only part of the equation here. Sure Disney staff saw during the pandemic that they had been under paid and they deserve more, and by large from what I gather wages have gone up. That's good. But they also had a contingent of people that where laid off and either A) Took this as a sign for early retirement so they are never coming back or B) got a bad taste from the service industry and have gone to non service jobs and have no desire to return to the service industry. C) moved back home in search of greener pasture

Now I have seen you make the argument that they should have maintained pay and kept these people during the shut down, maybe it would have helped but in theory they would have maintained their rate of pay at time of shutdown and encouraging exploration of other opportunities as the market raised base pay to attract workers. So Disney more than likely would be in the same position they are now. The problem with the economy is not just about new opportunities with higher pay its a diminished labor pool and workers being able to choose the work. Not saying that people having more options is a bad thing, but when you have the choice between working in an office or working making magic out in the Florida sun all day, I think you can see what people are choosing and why it may be harder for Disney to attract the workforce they need.

PS I also want to just say I agree with your criticisms about the cuts, lack of options, and price rises Disney is making, all I am saying is that there is a labor problem and I don't necessarily think the blame is all on Disney for that.

ToTBellHop

People agreed with this unironically.

Sure, if by "supply" you mean closed borders fueled by xenophobia and germaphobia from consecutive presidential administrations, and if by "demand" you mean two years where travel and entertainment were difficult-to-impossible and the federal government sending $12,000 to every middle class family of four. Sure, supply and demand.
I thought I was clearly joking...guess not.

Could Chapek comfortably fit in a yurt? At least he wouldn't have to worry about the low ceiling cutting his hair off.

UpAllNight

I think pay is only part of the equation here. Sure Disney staff saw during the pandemic that they had been under paid and they deserve more, and by large from what I gather wages have gone up. That's good. But they also had a contingent of people that where laid off and either A) Took this as a sign for early retirement so they are never coming back or B) got a bad taste from the service industry and have gone to non service jobs and have no desire to return to the service industry. C) moved back home in search of greener pasture

Now I have seen you make the argument that they should have maintained pay and kept these people during the shut down, maybe it would have helped but in theory they would have maintained their rate of pay at time of shutdown and encouraging exploration of other opportunities as the market raised base pay to attract workers. So Disney more than likely would be in the same position they are now. The problem with the economy is not just about new opportunities with higher pay its a diminished labor pool and workers being able to choose the work. Not saying that people having more options is a bad thing, but when you have the choice between working in an office or working making magic out in the Florida sun all day, I think you can see what people are choosing and why it may be harder for Disney to attract the workforce they need.

PS I also want to just say I agree with your criticisms about the cuts, lack of options, and price rises Disney is making, all I am saying is that there is a labor problem and I don't necessarily think the blame is all on Disney for that.

I actually agree with most of this but to tie the point around to mine, in such situations the company should take the hit in a way I don’t see Disney prepared to do, so it’s partially self caused.

castlecake2.0

While I agree with some of that, I also think "why would they purposely hold back revenue streams?" like I mentioned in the post above.
This. They are trying. Job fairs, hiring bonuses, increased hourly rates, extra perks. Its not simple when you need close to 80,000 people for your resort to operate. They are constantly hiring, traditions facilitators are working overtime to get new hires ready for on the job training as quickly as possible. And it’s not about trying to cut labor, there are constantly overtime approved shifts available for pick up to help fill in scheduling gaps. Cultural Res should help alleviate some issues, before the pandemic there were about 5,000 cast on a cultural visa, but even that will take months to get back up to normal.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Impressed by their restraint. We half-expected a retheme to Lumière & Cogsworth’s!
Are ye daft, man? Servants can't be affordin' such a regal spread. Make way for yar new mascots!!

VA couple.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom