Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

mickEblu

Adding Inside out emotional spinner in the western Helix was the dumbest mistake they did in Pixar Pier. Not only did they add it but then cut the budget and left concrete slabs where green Platings were meant to be.
I would have preferred the original plan to build a multi level flicks ride. originally they were going to have an Alice in wonderland style track where Heimlich would go above ground with the track going partially in and out of the helix.

with that said i think the ideal thing would have been to build a themed structure that would have taken a good portion of the helix. This would have been an entrance to a dark ride. The queue would wind thru the shop next to it (shop moved and replace the midway games) and then return to the building to load and unload. The tracks would then go behind the coaster into a show building.

Good planning and some re-arranging i think would have made that possible. They have the original huge parade building that could have been reconfigured and turned into a ride building. I still think that something like this using the Mystic manor system and themed to Coco or at this point Encanto would really work.
DCA is really in need of more indoor attractions, the park is so unbalanced and lacking.

The park definitely needs some more rich, well themed indoor attractions/ spaces. It’s a big reason why I lament the loss of ITTBAB. As it stands we have RSR, GOTG:MB, Monsters and Mermaid. I won’t get into the quality or lack Thereof of some of these here. Oh year you also have a pre show screen and a hallway or two in the Spider-Man indoor queue.

The park also needs attractions the whole family can do. If you have a child under 32 inches there’s about 6 rides you can do as a family at DCA.

Ismael Flores

The park definitely needs some more rich, well themed indoor attractions/ spaces. It’s a big reason why I lament the loss of ITTBAB. As it stands we have RSR, GOTG:MB, Monsters and Mermaid. I won’t get into the quality or lack Thereof of some of these here. Oh year you also have a pre show screen and a hallway or two in the Spider-Man indoor queue.

The park also needs attractions the whole family can do. If you have a child under 32 inches there’s about 6 rides you can do as a family at DCA.
and the worst thing about the park is that much of the eastern side of the park goes dark after the playhouse, and hyperion finish their shows early into operating hours. Soon after WOC shuts down good chunk of the pier attractions leaving everyone that is not watching WOC wondering around lost trying to find out what to do.

I have always been surprised as how bad their planning for evening entertainment in that park is to help out spread out crowd.

The parade route is so long compared to other parks that I would think it would be easy to run a parade that starts at Paradise Pier and then heads west twice a day. The day parade can travel east to west easily spreading crowds throughout the long corridor. Then schedule an evening parade and 1 st showing of WOC with just a few minutes of time difference. Have the parade start at Paradise pier, at this point anyone that has WOC passes would be in the viewing area already or heading there. The parade would travel thru the corridor going east and once it reaches the turn where Avengers Campus entrance is WOC can start is programing.

The people that were standing along the parade route in that area would just face the lagoon and see the show if they wanted.

There parade would then continue ts run thru the rest of the park.

If they do not plan on investing in attraction count at least justify the high cost by adding entertain and things to do till park closing.

EPCOTCenterLover

Adding Inside out emotional spinner in the western Helix was the dumbest mistake they did in Pixar Pier. Not only did they add it but then cut the budget and left concrete slabs where green Platings were meant to be.
I would have preferred the original plan to build a multi level flicks ride. originally they were going to have an Alice in wonderland style track where Heimlich would go above ground with the track going partially in and out of the helix.

with that said i think the ideal thing would have been to build a themed structure that would have taken a good portion of the helix. This would have been an entrance to a dark ride. The queue would wind thru the shop next to it (shop moved and replace the midway games) and then return to the building to load and unload. The tracks would then go behind the coaster into a show building.

Good planning and some re-arranging i think would have made that possible. They have the original huge parade building that could have been reconfigured and turned into a ride building. I still think that something like this using the Mystic manor system and themed to Coco or at this point Encanto would really work.
DCA is really in need of more indoor attractions, the park is so unbalanced and lacking.
Multi level Flick's ride? Was there ever any art released for it?

DCA lacks charm in so many areas. This could have helped.

CaptinEO

Do you guys think the financial downturn of the economy is going to affect the D23 announcements?
Yes. Disney stock is super low vs what it used to be. Gas is skyrocketing, families are seeing raises in utility bills and groceries. We're in for something as bad or worse than the 2008 recession shortly and it will effect all forms of nonessential travel.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes. Disney stock is super low vs what it used to be. Gas is skyrocketing, families are seeing raises in utility bills and groceries. We're in for something as bad or worse than the 2008 recession shortly and it will effect all forms of nonessential travel.
Dunno, the leading indicator for predicting a bad recession still hasn't happen, and that's massive layoffs. We aren't seeing a huge uptick in the number of companies laying people off, in fact just the opposite, month-after-month of continued job creation.

If we start seeing massive layoffs over the summer/fall I'll start to worry about a "bad or worse than 2008" scenario. Until then all indications seem to be that if a recession is going to happen it'll happen in early 2023 and it'll be a correction level recession, meaning short lived.

So I don't see an impact just yet to D23 announcements.

CaptinEO

Dunno, the leading indicator for predicting a bad recession still hasn't happen, and that's massive layoffs. We aren't seeing a huge uptick in the number of companies laying people off, in fact just the opposite, month-after-month of continued job creation.

If we start seeing massive layoffs over the summer/fall I'll start to worry about a "bad or worse than 2008" scenario. Until then all indications seem to be that if a recession is going to happen it'll happen in early 2023 and it'll be a correction level recession, meaning short lived.

So I don't see an impact just yet to D23 announcements.
I know 4 relatives laid off in the last month. They worked at everything from from startups to large corporations.

Every big company is having bad earnings as of recent as costs are way up.

It takes Disney 6 years to clone a roller coaster and 5 years to build a water playground.

They can't even commit to their Play Pavillion and Mary Poppins ride announced 3 years ago or their Splash retheme announced 2 years ago.

I don't see any major announcements in terms of financial investment in the parks.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know 4 relatives laid off in the last month. They worked at everything from from startups to large corporations.

Every big company is having bad earnings as of recent as costs are way up.

It takes Disney 6 years to clone a roller coaster and 5 years to build a water playground.

They can't even commit to their Play Pavillion and Mary Poppins ride announced 3 years ago or their Splash retheme announced 2 years ago.

I don't see any major announcements in terms of financial investment in the parks.
And I know several people laid off as well, and I feel sorry for them and your family. But it still doesn't change the facts that right now we aren't seeing massive layoffs which are a leading indicator of a deep recession looming. Right now all indications are if there is a recession it'll likely be on the smaller side and likely won't start until after the new year, and then rebound as inflationary pressures cool toward the end of the first half of the year.

As for every big company reporting bad earnings, sorry no not every big company is reporting bad earnings. For example Apple beat their earnings for Q2. If any company for example was going to see a hit due to a looming recession its Apple as their products tend to be more expensive. Which means consumer spending still hasn't been as effected as some of the media likes to report. So that is one to watch over the next couple quarters. If you see them start to miss earnings then you know there might be a problem. My company, I won't say which it is, but its a huge tech company as well and we also beat earnings.

As for D23 while I'm not expecting any huge shocker announcements, I do expect to hear at least a few projects, even if its smaller ones in the short term, announced for DLR. Maybe we'll hear about some longer term projects like the revival of Avengers E-Ticket, maybe the revival of Mary Poppins for Epcot also, and maybe some rumblings about a DL TL redo. But I do expect something announced.

britain

Cue Disney's 94th attempt at their own home-grown sci-fi adventure franchise in 3... 2...

Last edited:

Phroobar

Queue Disney's 94th attempt at their own home-grown sci-fi adventure franchise in 3... 2...

le-sigh.gif

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Do you think it could be possible we see a Wreck It Ralph attraction as part of this new TL revamp? Or do you think Wreck It Ralph would work better in DCA in a Hollywood Land revamp if it gets turned into an area themed to Disney Animation Studios proper?

Burgower1994

My ideas:

-replace star tours with the new strange world movie. I have body wars vibes watching the teaser.
-Flight of Passage replacing Nemo. We don’t need a full Pandora land but Flight of Passage would be great and fit Tomorrowland.
-update Buzz with Lighyear

shambolicdefending

Do you guys think the financial downturn of the economy is going to affect the D23 announcements?
I have no idea what Disney may have been planning to announce. But any company that isn't reading the economic barometers and tightening up their capex plans for the next couple of years isn't being competently or responsibly run.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I have no idea what Disney may have been planning to announce. But any company that isn't reading the economic barometers and tightening up their capex plans for the next couple of years isn't being competently or responsibly run.
Well in that case then Bobby is the CEO the Disney company wants and needs right now....

In all seriousness the D23 announcements don't have to be shovel ready projects that get started the next day. In addition large scale projects like a DL TL redo can be broken into smaller phases that last beyond any economic worries. And capex can be spread out over the life of the project even if that is years, no mater whether Disney has done this in the past or not.

I just hope that whatever gets announced will provide some needed investment into DLR, whether that be on the larger or smaller scale.

britain

Well in that case then Bobby is the CEO the Disney company wants and needs right now....

In all seriousness the D23 announcements don't have to be shovel ready projects that get started the next day. In addition large scale projects like a DL TL redo can be broken into smaller phases that last beyond any economic worries. And capex can be spread out over the life of the project even if that is years, no mater whether Disney has done this in the past or not.

I just hope that whatever gets announced will provide some needed investment into DLR, whether that be on the larger or smaller scale.

Honestly, economic downturns are EXACTLY the right time to project confidence by announcing big projects but spread them out over an embarrassingly long time.

"Behold! New Tomorrowland! Opening in 2025 ...the entrance landscaping, that is. The rest of the improvements will come in 2027, and 2030, and a new ride coming in 2032!"

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Honestly, economic downturns are EXACTLY the right time to project confidence by announcing big projects but spread them out over an embarrassingly long time.

"Behold! New Tomorrowland! Opening in 2025 (and 2027, and 2030, and a new E-ticket in 2032)!"
I actually agree (that is sort of what I was getting at), and honestly so do most economists as it helps ensure a short downturn (less than a year) vs a multi-year or decade long period.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom