News Showbot interactive atmosphere entertainment coming to EPCOT's World Discovery

castlecake2.0

I second this question @castlecake2.0 because I’ve seen nothing that would raise eyebrows, an example would be helpful.
There’s a clip from him at Epcot telling a guest he knew where the guest was from because he could “smell her derrière”, I’ll have to find some from when he was at MK, I can’t remember specifics but remember having the same thoughts after watching some interactions.

TrainsOfDisney

There’s a clip from him at Epcot telling a guest he knew where the guest was from because he could “smell her derrière”, I’ll have to find some from when he was at MK, I can’t remember specifics but remember having the same thoughts after watching some interactions.
The “Wisconsin = dairy air” joke has been around forever. I’ve heard it from citizens of Hollywood / Main Street, world showcase players, etc.

Jrb1979

It means I don’t like the jokes, banter, and dialogue he has with guests, it feels crass and crude to me, something that might feel more at place at universal (like Donkey from Shrek meet and greet) but not something I would expect from Disney. I thought the same when he was in Tomorrowland, and watching him again now at Epcot my opinion remains the same. Something about it just doesn’t feel right to me.
Maybe he's the start for Disney moving in that direction. I see nothing wrong with it and welcome it. I go back to when they added Extraterrestrial. I thought it was good to add in some adult oriented things.

TrainsOfDisney

Maybe he's the start for Disney moving in that direction. I see nothing wrong with it and welcome it. I go back to when they added Extraterrestrial. I thought it was good to add in some adult oriented things.
It’s like the argument for what belongs and doesn’t belong on Disney+. What is the Disney brand?

I would have liked the Simpsons and Marvel to stay at universal and let Disney do what they do best - classic family entertainment.

Jrb1979

It’s like the argument for what belongs and doesn’t belong on Disney+. What is the Disney brand?

I would have liked the Simpsons and Marvel to stay at universal and let Disney do what they do best - classic family entertainment.
Brands need to keep updating with the times. There is no reason they can't have things that appeal to every age. All age groups go to Disney so why not add things to appeal to them.

TrainsOfDisney

Brands need to keep updating with the times. There is no reason they can't have things that appeal to every age. All age groups go to Disney so why not add things to appeal to them.
Like Illuminations? Now THAT is what appeals to every age! :)

I think brands should be specific to what they do best. But that’s me :)

I am glad to see more atmosphere entertainment return to Epcot by the way.

dreday3

Not really to do with what you are saying, but I do think they are in danger of going overboard with the Marvel/Avenger stuff/lands in the parks.
The Superhero movie juggernaut will come to an end and I don't think they have the same lasting appeal as Harry Potter at Universal - and quite frankly I'm not sure how long those will stay relevant either.

But a robot in Epcot is cool.

Jrb1979

Like Illuminations? Now THAT is what appeals to every age! :)

I think brands should be specific to what they do best. But that’s me :)
I don't know. A good example of a park that used to stick what they do best is Cedar Point. For awhile all they did was add the biggest and best coasters. That's what they were known for. The last few years they have added a lot of family oriented things to appeal to a wider audience.

Not really to do with what you are saying, but I do think they are in danger of going overboard with the Marvel/Avenger stuff/lands in the parks.
The Superhero movie juggernaut will come to an end and I don't think they have the same lasting appeal as Harry Potter at Universal - and quite frankly I'm not sure how long those will stay relevant either.
I agree. It's why I wish they would stop focusing so much in IP for everything. In a perfect world they would finish World Showcase as planned with a lot of the original planned attractions. All of which had no IP attached.

No Name

But a robot in Epcot is cool.
Would you rather they build rides based on juggernauts that have already come to an end? Super hero movies aren’t slowing down and don’t look like they will for at least the lifespan of these attractions, so there’s no reason not to build them. People want Marvel rides.

Jrb1979

Would you rather they build rides based on juggernauts that have already come to an end? Super hero movies aren’t slowing down and don’t look like they will for at least the lifespan of these attractions, so there’s no reason not to build them. People want Marvel rides.
Why not build them with no IP.

dreday3

If you are asking me specifically, if it has to be IP related there's a boatload I'd like to see before anymore Marvel based rides:

Tangled
Wall-E
Encanto
Monsters Inc
Escape to Witch Mountain
Jungle Book
Expand on S.E.A.
Sleepy Hollow
Give MK a Pinocchio ride
Coco
Would love a Something Wicked This Way Comes dark ride!
Nightmare Before Christmas dark ride!!!

Anything but more Marvel.(or Star Wars) 🤣

Last edited:

celluloid

I don't think the jokes mentioned here are crass, but one definitely takes sthe risk. Entertainment got a huge lecture and restructuring of what is ok or not a couple of years ago. It was awkward and due to a few minor things that came out as complaints against Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and the Citizens of Main Street specifically.

All in all, Entertainment tends to be trusted but the second a complaint is documented at Guest services, someone may not choose to have your back.

As far as if what is said by Showbot is really crass, I have not personally heard enough to give my low value two cents, but I also know Wally Boag was pretty edgy for his time(arguably today too) and if you are smart enough to get the innuendos, they are vocabulary based and not offensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom