Pavilion Merchandise or...Lack of..

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
With GoTGCR Wonders of Xandar with it's abundant of new merch for a pavillion makes me wonder how long it will decrease in time...A good example...Mission: Space when the store first opened it had a ton of merchandise related to the attraction. Now you go in and you find Star Wars and Nasa space related merch but, nothing related to the ride.. another good example is Test Track where they had the Dummy Goofy's and related TT merch in their store. Now, it's just standard car based or racing shirts...And let's not get started on the lack of Imagination merch in Imagination.. But, you would think they would focus on making more Pavillion based merch for each of the pavilion gift shops like they used to...

Haymarket2008

There are so many missed opportunities for pavilion specific merch.

At the bare minimum, have shirts that have the pavilion logos on them and sell them at their respective location. They could really cash in on that.

I dream of the day when Imagination gets the refurb it deserves and the shop is bursting at the seams with Dreamfinder/Figment amazingness.

I feel that the only other spot that gets consistently updated merch is Soarin’.

Haymarket2008

Which us oddly being sold now in Imagination's gift shop..

I swear down the line Wonders of Xandar gift shop will just be a Marvel merch store with no connection to the attraction..

Major bummer prediction and you’re totally right.

I have no idea why they don’t go all out on specific merchandise. That stuff DOES sell.

A big offender of this is the Tower of Terror gift shop. Like 25% of that store is attraction based? The rest is….whatever they need to fill space. So yikesy.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Major bummer prediction and you’re totally right.

I have no idea why they don’t go all out on specific merchandise. That stuff DOES sell.

A big offender of this is the Tower of Terror gift shop. Like 25% of that store is attraction based? The rest is….whatever they need to fill space. So yikesy.
Case in point Mission Space..Can't push a M:S spirit jersey or lounge fly bags of the sort..Nah slap pointless Star Wars merch instead..That's what remind me of my mission of the International space team corp..
IMG_4007.jpg

solidyne

I would walk right past that Star Wars junk, but Pavilion Logo T-Shirts? I'd have to buy one of each!

They just don't get it.

I was so amazed by the surprisingly attraction-specific merch at Memento Mori upon my first visit, I had to share my enthusiasm with the cashier. The teenaged CM just gave a "whatever" look and went back to doing nothing. Even the front-line CMs don't get it.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
I would walk right past that Star Wars junk, but Pavilion Logo T-Shirts? I'd have to buy one of each!

They just don't get it.

I was so amazed by the surprisingly attraction-specific merch at Memento Mori upon my first visit, I had to share my enthusiasm with the cashier. The teenaged CM just gave a "whatever" look and went back to doing nothing. Even the front-line CMs don't get it.
During the 2011 D23 expo at Mickey's of Glendale sold pavilion logo shirts...I came back with a SSE, Imagination and Epcot logo fitted hat...Nothing special on them just the pavilion logo on front and a small Epcot logo on back..

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Again...Why??? I know this is an older article and in the wrong pavillion..But why?
The Land needs a dedicated store on the upper floor on the left side of the pavilion this way the guest are leaving they are in an earshot of a giftshop..

castlecake2.0

Again...Why??? I know this is an older article and in the wrong pavillion..But why?
The Land needs a dedicated store on the upper floor on the left side of the pavilion this way the guest are leaving they are in an earshot of a giftshop..
The Land does have a merchandise location, downstairs opposite the Soarin entrance, it just hasn’t returned since Covid reopenings. Merchandise is probably the biggest culprit currently of not being reopened to pre pandemic levels. I’m really hoping that once CRPs start returning to Epcot that will free up merch cast members to help with this.

WorldExplorer

While we're at it; whoever decided to put all the dinosaur related merchandise in the gift shop for the ride that's too intense for little kids and tucked in a corner so you're unlikely to find it without going on the ride, while the cutesy "Dino-Treasures" store that's much easier to find has like one sleeve of plastic toys, obviously hates money.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
The Land does have a merchandise location, downstairs opposite the Soarin entrance, it just hasn’t returned since Covid reopenings. Merchandise is probably the biggest culprit currently of not being reopened to pre pandemic levels. I’m really hoping that once CRPs start returning to Epcot that will free up merch cast members to help with this.
Yeah..But, it's like a kiosk stand by the bathrooms..

djkidkaz

I think people have to remember that if it sells Disney will sell it. This forum in particular loves to highlight the greed and money grabbing ways of the Disney corp but then contradict that with the idea that for some reason they refuse to sell a Test Track Crash Test Dummy Goofy that would apparently sell millions worth of merch. It’s just not the case. While that stuff looks nice on a shelf and people will pick it up and get a chuckle, they eventually throw it down and move on to buy a standard themed Goofy plush at Creations.

The pavilion merch doesn’t sell either. Go stand in Mexico pavilion and watch how many people pick up a sombrero, put it on their head for a photo and then throw it down. Be thankful that they haven’t removed all the authentic merch from the Showcase pavilions already because that stuff just doesn’t move, besides Norway which does gangbusters with the Frozen toys, Laila perfume and Helly Hansen clothes.

solidyne

I think people have to remember that if it sells Disney will sell it. This forum in particular loves to highlight the greed and money grabbing ways of the Disney corp but then contradict that with the idea that for some reason they refuse to sell a Test Track Crash Test Dummy Goofy that would apparently sell millions worth of merch. It’s just not the case. While that stuff looks nice on a shelf and people will pick it up and get a chuckle, they eventually throw it down and move on to buy a standard themed Goofy plush at Creations.

The pavilion merch doesn’t sell either. Go stand in Mexico pavilion and watch how many people pick up a sombrero, put it on their head for a photo and then throw it down. Be thankful that they haven’t removed all the authentic merch from the Showcase pavilions already because that stuff just doesn’t move, besides Norway which does gangbusters with the Frozen toys, Laila perfume and Helly Hansen clothes.
Sadly true. Well now we can add guests to the list of people who just don't get it!

Kidding / not kidding.

TrainsOfDisney

It’s just not the case. While that stuff looks nice on a shelf and people will pick it up and get a chuckle, they eventually throw it down and move on to buy a standard themed Goofy plush at
Do you have acess to the records that show that attraction specific Merch sells worse than generic Merch?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

💯

TrainsOfDisney

It may sell just fine, it’s just usually costlier to produce as it has limited runs. It’s actually impressive these days to see the amount of specific merch that can be found in world showcase considering that.
Yes and no. A “limited run” at Disney is still enough to get quantity discounts.

I think it has more to do with the way merchandise is managed. Theme park / attraction merchandise is different than your local GAP or Target.

WDI knows this, hence why there is excellent Merch available at fan events at the WDI booth. I’m betting the galaxies edge Merch was all WDI (I think I remember Scott talking about that) - when park operations take it over I’m sure we will get generic Star Wars Merch at those locations as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom