Why I Will Definitely Go Again

Raxel7851

Reading your post is why I have a hard time relating to a lot of you here. My family didn't grow up going to Disney. We went a few times when I was a kid but nothing like many of you here have. I grew up going to Cedar Point and Canada's Wonderland. For me driving across the Cedar Point causeway seeing the roller coasters is similar to how most of you feel seeing the castle.
I have felt that excitement. We had seen Cedar Point on tv many times and decided to finally give it a try. When we were driving over the causeway we could see all of the rides. It was so exciting the first time. I’m sure it’s exciting in subsequent visits as well. We stayed on-site at the Breakers. We did end up buying a season ticket for the following year, but unfortunately Covid got in the way. Although I’m not going to compare CP to WDW, I will on the excitement of seeing it as if one is looking at Cinderella’s Castle. To me personally it’s the same level of excitement.

Goofyernmost

but can't that be said for everything? for example, where I live. I would love to be able to afford to live in NYC, in Manhattan. My childhood there was phenomenal but there is no way in heckdom I can afford it. and I certainly don't get mad at the city for not being "affordable", that's entitlement. Now again I think that is also relative. I went once as a child with my family and I absolutely remember my parents kvetching about how expensive it was so I don't have these memories everyone here seems to have of everyone being able to go to Disney when they wanted too.

I think what I meant was "stress" is so very subjective. what people finding stressful, others don't.

There really isn't anything "easy" about the cost for me either, I too am on a fixed income, I'm retired and I'm no where close to "independently" wealthy so basically this is it (although I have threaten my kids a time or two with moving in with them in my old age ;) ;) ) what I've got has to last me a good long time. When I go it means some thing else is sacrificed, and there have been many many times when a trip has been pushed back due to finances. I'm pretty sure at some point the cost will reach my breaking point especially if the company keeps the current trend, but I certainly can't see getting "mad" at the company nor the folks who still enjoy it.
Yea, I felt the same thing when I first retired. I felt that I had money that would last a lot longer then me. It may still, but over 12 years I have eaten away at the cushion to the point were between my trips to Disney, to Europe and the current stock market it has dropped enough that I am now concerned. Concerned enough that it isn't worth it to me to spend down to that degree just to go to a theme park. Taking into consideration the restrictions like park reservations, high price for a day ticket, additional charges for two different incarnations of pay for Fastpass. Add to that the fact that either way I go, pay up or stand by, I still might not be able to see the things that I really would like too. And to decide where I want to be on any given day. I have to reserve days in advance with nothing in the line of guarantees if a hurricane or tornado decides to pick the same day to visit. It's just to damn much and something that, knowing me, will only add to the anger and frustration to a high level. Hence it no longer has sufficient value to risk an old age dining on Alpo for protein. I am at an age where I can not afford to throw away what little time I have allotted. I've worked hard all my life and I have no desire to complicate my retirement.

Pepper's Ghost

but can't that be said for everything? for example, where I live. I would love to be able to afford to live in NYC, in Manhattan. My childhood there was phenomenal but there is no way in heckdom I can afford it. and I certainly don't get mad at the city for not being "affordable", that's entitlement. When my husband and I started having kids we sat down and figured out that the type of upbringing we wanted them to have we could not afford on our salary in NYC, so guess what we moved to NJ. I went once as a child with my family and I absolutely remember my parents kvetching about how expensive it was so I don't have these memories everyone here seems to have of everyone being able to go to Disney when they wanted too. So again it simply comes off as okay Disney is bad because I no longer can afford it.

I think what I meant was "stress" is so very subjective. what people finding stressful, others don't.

There really isn't anything "easy" about the cost for me either, I too am on a fixed income, I'm retired and I'm no where close to "independently" wealthy so basically this is it (although I have threaten my kids a time or two with moving in with them in my old age ;) ;) ) what I've got has to last me a good long time. When I go it means some thing else is sacrificed, and there have been many many times when a trip has been pushed back due to finances. I'm pretty sure at some point the cost will reach my breaking point especially if the company keeps the current trend, but I certainly can't see getting "mad" at the company nor the folks who still enjoy it.

so basically Disney is not evil or bad because everyone can't afford it.
I agree with very much of this; however, many people are unhappy with non-financial related changes as well... things that have changed the experience even more than Disney reaching into our pockets.

Regarding $$s, I've always said that asking for more $$ is not necessarily unfair of Disney, especially with the cost of EVERYTHING going up. Prices increase over time, and then there's the supply/demand of the parks. It's a simple fact. I just don't like the sneaky à la carte way they're doing it. It hides the true overall costs. They make it seem less expensive until you spend an extra $100-$200 per day on the add ons, LL, G+, hotel parking, etc. Disney is better than hiding all the costs behind small fees that seem reasonable... aren't they? I always thought they were above that.

To avoid too much negativity, I'm going to add another positive reason... I love the sound of walking down Main St towards the castle, and just the buzz in the air with Disney's background music. I especially love the walk through Liberty Square, and eating at the Columbia Harbour House! I could sit in that restaurant for hours. This is a great tribute video...

Last edited:

kalel8145

Like Sbk1234, I go back because it makes me happy. I feel a way at Disney World that I don't feel anywhere else. (Not that I don't feel happy other places, just there's a unique Disney-related happiness for me there.) A lot of the hassles people are (rightfully) complaining about aren't really issues for me because normally I go by myself and stay on-property somewhere for a week. I can take my time, I don't stress if I can't get onto a particular ride and have nobody complaining if there's a long wait.

I was last there May 2019 and have usually gone about every 18 months or so since 2013. This year I decided to treat my mom to a week at Disney and I'll be meeting her there October 1st. I made a park res for Epcot without realizing it was the DAY OF Epcot's 40th, but if all goes well, my mom and I will be having dinner at the Garden Grill to celebrate. She hasn't been there since 1986 when I was a young'un and we stayed at the Disney Inn. She's retired now and I doubt she'd ever go on her own. It feels strange to be taking my mom on vacation, like a role-reversal from my childhood, but I'm really looking forward to it and hope she'll have a good time, too.

That was rambly. Oh, well.
We are doing the same this trip. We are going with my sister's family and splitting the cost for my mom to go. It will be all her grandkids except 1 that will be there.

pluto77

but can't that be said for everything? for example, where I live. I would love to be able to afford to live in NYC, in Manhattan. My childhood there was phenomenal but there is no way in heckdom I can afford it. and I certainly don't get mad at the city for not being "affordable", that's entitlement. When my husband and I started having kids we sat down and figured out that the type of upbringing we wanted them to have we could not afford on our salary in NYC, so guess what we moved to NJ. I went once as a child with my family and I absolutely remember my parents kvetching about how expensive it was so I don't have these memories everyone here seems to have of everyone being able to go to Disney when they wanted too. So again it simply comes off as okay Disney is bad because I no longer can afford it.

I also don’t remember a time of everyone being able to afford to go. The only reason I went growing up is because I had an aunt that would save up her money for years to take us on trips. I won’t deny that the price is most likely higher now compared to average middle class income, but there certainly wasn’t ever a time when everyone could afford to go. There were always people that were “priced out,” and there always will be.

I also agree about stress being subjective. Personally, being able to plan things in advance makes my trips far less stressful. On our last trip, there was something that couldn’t be booked until the day of that we wanted to do, and it was very stressful not knowing if we’d be able to get a spot or not.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I’ll definitely be going again because it always has been, and still is, my favorite vacation destination. To me, the “Disney bubble” is real. Someone mentioned that it’s a mindset that could be experienced anywhere, but that still doesn’t negate the fact that I do experience a “bubble” at Disney. This doesn’t mean that other people/families can’t have just as much fun doing something else, or vacationing a different way, but this is what I like and why I will keep going back. I have so many memories and experiences tied to the place, some are personal memories and milestones that happened there. I love going with newbies too. I have gone to Disney several times with “first timers,” and it always exceeds their expectations.

Another reason I will definitely go back is that Disney is constantly changing. Do I always 100% like the changes? No, but it always keeps the experience fresh and new, while it still retains the comfort and familiarity (for me). Disney isn’t our only vacation destination, we do go other places as well, but that’s what keep me going back to Disney.

I’ll also say that, as much of a Disney fan I am, I don’t completely consider myself a Disney apologist. There are things I dislike or think could be done better, but the positive outweighs the negative for me.

NickMaio

I am going back again (in 4 days) but I am ALSO bothered by the current WDW 'climate'.
I am going back because I love everything about the freakin' place. I guess you could call that the magic of the bubble!?!?

We went last year and it still held enough magic for us to continue to be a 'value'.

I am a positive person by nature but will admit for the first time in a 18+ years, going into this upcoming trip, I am harboring a little skepticism about whether that magic/value equation is still going to balance out.

Time will tell but for now..................wooHOO!!! 4 more DAYS! can't wait. :)
Have a blast.
Let us know how it goes.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
That’s a great point about stress being subjective. What frustrates some is well tolerated by others. Different needs and perspectives. Buses are a good example. Some people love them, others hate them. Mobile Order and Boarding Groups… the same.

We’re planning a trip to Italy next year. Tons of things to stress about. Getting around? Best hotels for us? Places we’ll enjoy the most? What experiences need scheduling? Making sure to protect ourselves, not get suckered somehow, etc.

WDW planning is cake by comparison. There’s 2 reasons it’s our happy place. We can have fun all day, everyday for the week. And no worries about logistics or safety. We love the huge menu of fun to choose from with plenty of stuff to enjoy together no matter who’s in our party. Easy and comfortable, it’s almost like being a kid again where we can focus on happy exciting stuff and leave our adult brain home.

LittleMerman

There's still magic there for me but a lot of it IS gone - CMs are mostly now just regular employees vs. going above and beyond, the insane crowds make it hard to even walk at times, the competitiveness of planning ADRs, the complexity of the MDE app and Genie+...

But in the end, I still have a blast. I love the rides, the restaurants, the landscaping, the architecture, the resorts, and the entertainment. That stuff is updated or changed sometimes but I will always love the actual product.

JIMINYCR

I'm sorry. Are you directing this to me, or the person I responded to?
I was jumping off of your comments directed to him, who constantly gripes about Disney.
Has it ever occurred to you that it isn't us that is negative. Disney has unnecessarily inflected hardships on a lot of people that you can't imagine. What we have been talking about is that the one thing the a Disney Park never had was a created feeling of a reason to for us to be unhappy. Show me how the billions of dollars profit earned required more money for nothing extra and tell me how positive that is.,

If you want a "discussion" board without the other side of the equation that starts out with; Unicorns and Rainbows only. We don't want to see any other side. This particular title did not request only the rosy parts anymore then the other thread stating "Why I wont go again" stopped people from saying why they liked it and were going to return,

Hey bud, that last time I looked a discussion board is for discussion not for agreement only. 🤣 This thread was started as a sarcastic response to "Why I may not go again". It was a nasty way of attempting to negate the logic of the "may not" OP. As for the never looking at your phone again (bolded) and have a complete experience. I am not interested in blocking your rainbow just telling people that there is another side.
Sorry... but read the post title and opening statement by the OP. The OP did say this was directed to those who arent bothered by the current WDW climate to sound off. You want to spout your continual anger towards Dis. Thats fine, but it wasnt asked for on this post. I have no issue with your reasons why you wont go back or why you dislike the current policies. Yes discussions should take place and do continuously here. The % of negative comments tend to outweigh the positive because the loudest voices are overpowering the quieter ones. But once in a while positive posts are nice to hear and are welcome. If you dont like Dis at this time then you are fine to stay away and gripe all you want. This post wasnt a sarcastic response to the other one, but a post giving our side a place to place our feelings. and I'm not all unicorns and rainbows... I acknowledge there are issues with Dis and how its being run, but this wasnt the post to comment in that direction.

Fordlover

I expect we will go back, but it's gonna be a hot minute before we do. No need to list the reasons, it is "all of the above". For the first time in a long time, we have no active plans to return, and I must admit that hurts a bit.

Lilofan

I can not wait to go again. I think about it everyday and how, the next trip, will be the first with my daughter; who will be 6. About 15 years ago I dated a girl who ended up being a cast member several times. I would go visit every few months and loved everything new, and loved hitting several of the cast member only stores, buildings...etc.... We ended up getting a DVC membership, split, and I wouldn't let the DVC go.....so its mine! Now I am married, with a kid, and cant wait to see the excitement in her eyes as she walks through each park and gets to experience all that the parks have to offer. I also can not wait to see how she reacts to a savanna view room at Jambo house. She loves animals so this is going to blow her away. The last trip I took, with my wife, was in 2018; so both of us are chomping at the bit to get down there and have a huge vacation. We can be big kids and leave the real world behind us for a week. The hardest part is leaving and having reality smack you in the face. At least we are lucky enough to have DVC so we can plan smaller trips now and then, even if its just for a weekend.
To me the journey is at times more enjoyable than the destination. The travel by car to get there and back, interesting sights and people when I was younger was far more interesting than the several days at WDW. It may be odd to some but not to me.

Chi84

Premium Member
I expect we will go back, but it's gonna be a hot minute before we do. No need to list the reasons, it is "all of the above". For the first time in a long time, we have no active plans to return, and I must admit that hurts a bit.
After dealing with the hot mess that is Genie+, we're planning a cruise instead for our next vacation. Disney's got to love us - it's a Disney cruise and it gets us out of the overcrowded parks 🤣

kalel8145

To me the journey is at times more enjoyable than the destination. The travel by car to get there and back, interesting sights and people when I was younger was far more interesting than the several days at WDW. It may be odd to some but not to me.
Agree with this so much. We usually fly, but we leave early. The night before, we finish our packing while listening to Disney Parks music. Get up early, cup of coffee before the action starts. I put on more Parks music (earlier then my wife would like 😁) , then all the last minute checks and out the door. 45 minute drive to the airport and talk about what are we going to so first.

gdisneyfans

I am going back again (in 4 days) but I am ALSO bothered by the current WDW 'climate'.
I am going back because I love everything about the freakin' place. I guess you could call that the magic of the bubble!?!?

We went last year and it still held enough magic for us to continue to be a 'value'.

I am a positive person by nature but will admit for the first time in a 18+ years, going into this upcoming trip, I am harboring a little skepticism about whether that magic/value equation is still going to balance out.

Time will tell but for now..................wooHOO!!! 4 more DAYS! can't wait. :)
We've been back a little over a month now after not having gone in 4 1/2 years (we were a once a year family but with some family "stuff" and then of course the pandemic, this was our first chance back). I too was a little skeptical about the magic and value and of course the crowds. But I can honestly say this was the best trip we've ever had! Was it expensive - of course! Was it busy - you bet it was!! But, it seemed like once we arrived, all of those worries, just went away and we, like I said, had the best trip we could have imagined. As a matter of fact, I am still so sad that the trip is over and how fast the entire trip went. I swear I look at my pictures daily just to remember the fun:inlove:

I sure hope your upcoming trip is all you are hoping it to be and then some:happy:

Lilofan

Agree with this so much. We usually fly, but we leave early. The night before, we finish our packing while listening to Disney Parks music. Get up early, cup of coffee before the action starts. I put on more Parks music (earlier then my wife would like 😁) , then all the last minute checks and out the door. 45 minute drive to the airport and talk about what are we going to so first.
Great story. You must be wired on caffeine in the first day ! I know of a family that took a long flight from Hawaii , two connections , arriving on the red eye at MCO, and straight to the hotel , drop off luggage then straight to the parks.

Jrb1979

I get that excitement. I'm like that for every trip no matter where it is. I usually have a hard time sleeping the night before.

Goofyernmost

I was jumping off of your comments directed to him, who constantly gripes about Disney.

Sorry... but read the post title and opening statement by the OP. The OP did say this was directed to those who arent bothered by the current WDW climate to sound off. You want to spout your continual anger towards Dis. Thats fine, but it wasnt asked for on this post. I have no issue with your reasons why you wont go back or why you dislike the current policies. Yes discussions should take place and do continuously here. The % of negative comments tend to outweigh the positive because the loudest voices are overpowering the quieter ones. But once in a while positive posts are nice to hear and are welcome. If you dont like Dis at this time then you are fine to stay away and gripe all you want. This post wasnt a sarcastic response to the other one, but a post giving our side a place to place our feelings. and I'm not all unicorns and rainbows... I acknowledge there are issues with Dis and how its being run, but this wasnt the post to comment in that direction.
You could have given your side on the other thread, so that is bull. I once was one of the biggest WDW fans that there was. I don't always put Disney down, if I had I wouldn't have spent 10's of thousands of dollars going to the parks. 48 trips to WDW, 1 trip to DLR and 1 trip to DLP. If you don't mind letting a billion dollar company turn you upside down and needlessly shake every spare dime you have out of your pockets nothing I can say will stop that. It is a high level fleecing of the public. Maybe you didn't experience it the way it was or you don't remember, but I cannot stand by and not at least warn people of what is happening whether you are willing to accept that or not is out of my control. Just don't say you weren't warned or attempting to make people understand what is happening.

Sbk1234

There's still magic there for me but a lot of it IS gone - CMs are mostly now just regular employees vs. going above and beyond, the insane crowds make it hard to even walk at times, the competitiveness of planning ADRs, the complexity of the MDE app and Genie+...

But in the end, I still have a blast. I love the rides, the restaurants, the landscaping, the architecture, the resorts, and the entertainment. That stuff is updated or changed sometimes but I will always love the actual product.
The only part of your statement that I respectfully disagree with is about the CMs being simply regular employees. I was there last month and I was blown away by how much the CMs tried so hard to go the extra mile.
I agree that getting ADRs was difficult at times and the Genie + and App were confusing (at least to this old dinosaur) at times. However, I had the time of my life, and I'm glad you had a blast, too.

DfromATX

While I'm NOT happy about some of the current issues and I believe most of the complaints are legit, I still love Disney and plan to go until... well until I don't want to anymore, but for now we are good. I've decided to go and enjoy the Disney that I love even though I am unhappy with their management practices.

My mom and my brother recently gave me a "yes" she and my nephew will go with us next time. We are going to show them a good time!! My brother is worried that I will "convert" my nephew ha ha. (I'm going to try my darndest, but he'll be 12 by the time we go so hopefully I'm not too late.) Joking aside, I am so excited to show them what both my husband and I love so much. Even though we don't like Star Wars, my brother and his son are big fans so I am even excited to take him to that drab Galaxy's Edge and spend lots of time there. 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom