Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

UNCgolf

I’d imagine Brightline would be contributing to at least some of those costs. The travel distances would also be a lot less so you wouldn’t need as much staff and equipment.

If Brightline splits the costs (or even just contributes) that would make a big difference. I don't think the overall expense involved would be that much smaller than DME (it would be smaller, but I don't believe it would be 50% less or anything near that level).

May not be similar but it can be done at HKDL, families carrying luggage with them to train at airport to get to HKDL resorts.

The train station at HKDL is right outside the main gate and all the resorts are nearby. Even if you wanted to walk I don't think it's much more than a mile to the furthest resort, but I'm pretty sure they have shuttles that will get you from there to your resort. It's not at all similar to WDW.

Lilofan

If Brightline splits the costs (or even just contributes) that would make a big difference. I don't think the overall expense involved would be that much smaller than DME (it would be smaller, but I don't believe it would be 50% less or anything near that level).

The train station at HKDL is right outside the main gate and all the resorts are nearby. Even if you wanted to walk I don't think it's much more than a mile to the furthest resort, but I'm pretty sure they have shuttles that will get you from there to your resort. It's not at all similar to WDW.
WDW has a few years to develop a plan for families with luggage boarding at MCO with train service to WDW.

Jrb1979

While having another option to get to WDW is great. I'm not sure many families are going to use this. Having to lug your luggage from the airport to the train then from the train to Disney Springs. You still have to lug it to your resort after that. Outside of day guests I really don't see the how this replaces MDE

JoeCamel

While having another option to get to WDW is great. I'm not sure many families are going to use this. Having to lug your luggage from the airport to the train then from the train to Disney Springs. You still have to lug it to your resort after that. Outside of day guests I really don't see the how this replaces MDE
I'm not sure it is intended to replace DME.
The options are higher speed rail and commuter rail from the airport to WDW if constructed. Nothing about trains is flexible enough to replace a bus with luggage service so TDO just said "you are on your own would you like Mears number or will you be using a ride service?". They don't provide transport any longer just like they didn't before DME. The bubble has burst.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

I'm not sure it is intended to replace DME.
Agreed. Isn't the Disney station not even on property? In my mind it's a commuter rail service that happens to have a stop near Disney. I'm just trying to figure out why so many are thinking this is a replacement for MDE?

UNCgolf

WDW has a few years to develop a plan for families with luggage boarding at MCO with train service to WDW.

Yes they do, but I think if they were that concerned about it they'd still be running DME. If they don't really care about guests taking Uber/Lyft/whatever from the airport, I'm not sure why they'd care about them using it to get to their resort after using the train as an intermediary.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

If a train stop at Disney Springs isn't for guests with luggage... then who's it for?

No one, that's the problem.

Seriously, I think it could be a feasible option for people traveling to Disney from other parts of Florida. For people coming from the Orlando airport, though, it just seems like the other available options will be faster and easier. There aren't many people who are going to shell out for train tickets just to get to one spot and then still have to get an Uber/Lyft from there when they could just do that directly from the airport -- especially since the overall cost will likely be similar.

If Disney offers some kind of last mile transit option to get people from Disney Springs to their resorts, though, that would change the calculus -- at least for people staying on-site. It still wouldn't be especially useful for off-site guests unless their hotel runs a regular shuttle, which is certainly possible for some hotels. But even then you'd have to decide if all the extra time involved is worth it; that could easily take an hour+ longer than going directly from the airport.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

The thing about a good transit system is that it provides options. There is no single “Everyone must do this.” Transit projects aren’t one and done. The Brightline is not an airport shuttle but people keep framing it as such. When the Disney station opens it’ll be the end of a leg that connects all the way down to Miami and still building out towards Tampa. Walt Disney World and Orlando International are stop in the middle of a bigger route, not the only stops.

It’s an option for people coming or going to the airport. It’s an option for people who live elsewhere in Florida. It’s an option for people who wish to visit other parts of Florida. The use of an option isn’t always about speed.

the.dreamfinder

FWIW, I was chatting with some folks while waiting for the shuttle bus at the Princess Half Marathon who happen to live in a community that will be served by Brightline. For them, it would cheaper and preferable for them to use Brightline over driving, from either MCO or a hypothetical Disney stop. There are people who would benefit. One downside here though is that once you get past two people, Brightline would likely cost more than driving.

They still wasted an opportunity to take advantage of the debt markets two years ago to push this through more aggressively or to push an Atlanta-MCO route that, while expensive, would be more valuable long term to the system’s success that connecting Orlando to Tampa.

ctrlaltdel

The thing about a good transit system is that it provides options. There is no single “Everyone must do this.” Transit projects aren’t one and done. The Brightline is not an airport shuttle but people keep framing it as such. When the Disney station opens it’ll be the end of a leg that connects all the way down to Miami and still building out towards Tampa. Walt Disney World and Orlando International are stop in the middle of a bigger route, not the only stops.

It’s an option for people coming or going to the airport. It’s an option for people who live elsewhere in Florida. It’s an option for people who wish to visit other parts of Florida. The use of an option isn’t always about speed.
It makes complete sense for the train to stop at the Convention Center/I-drive. If Disney is somehow upset they shouldn't be.

I'm also sure that the convention crowd will use this at a higher percentage than Disney guests as well.

Lilofan

FWIW, I was chatting with some folks while waiting for the shuttle bus at the Princess Half Marathon who happen to live in a community that will be served by Brightline. For them, it would cheaper and preferable for them to use Brightline over driving, from either MCO or a hypothetical Disney stop. There are people who would benefit. One downside here though is that once you get past two people, Brightline would likely cost more than driving.

They still wasted an opportunity to take advantage of the debt markets two years ago to push this through more aggressively or to push an Atlanta-MCO route that, while expensive, would be more valuable long term to the system’s success that connecting Orlando to Tampa.
Several years ago I know of some Korean friends who live in Central FL who drive several hours to Atlanta just to shop at H Mart , the Korean mecca of food stores and drive back the same day. That rail system would have been helpful.

lazyboy97o

It makes complete sense for the train to stop at the Convention Center/I-drive. If Disney is somehow upset they shouldn't be.

I'm also sure that the convention crowd will use this at a higher percentage than Disney guests as well.
I’m more worried about the last mile support at the Convention Center than I am at Disney Springs. It is though the type of business travelers that Brightline is likely to be more focused on servicing. Hopefully Sun Rail is able to make things work and provide a reliable local service option. Volusia County is apparently annoyed that they have not been part of these discussions and not too keen on route and service expansion.

ryguy

I did the train from Paris airport to Disneyland Paris and I liked it a lot. One caveat was there was no stops, it was direct and like 7 minutes. I see value here to a large swath of travelers. No brainer for convention folks. To me the most impactful leg will be Orlando-Tampa. This really should have been done first, I-4 is a mess between the two cities. In the end the goal is take locals off the roads with alternate transportation options. It will be interesting to see if this works, especially the southern route from south Florida to MCO. That seems like a stretch to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom