Rollercoaster Advice | Summer 2022 Amusement Park Review and Ideas

Mickeynerd17

Original Poster
View attachment 633662

That sounds like a really great trip @Mickeynerd17 - as it becomes more finalized keep us posted as I don't want to tip the scales one way or another but I was very impressed today with Great Adventure.

Your list of parks seems to hug the east coast - I'm not sure where the starting point is but if one of your must do's is Hershey, the trip to Six Flags Great Adventure is maybe another 2 hours east, so not too far compared to the distance of Six Flags Over Georgia to Dollywood which is about 3 and a half hours.

Just something to keep in mind, unlike Disney parks, you do have to purchase a locker for your belongings. It was $1 per ride, or $8 to move around, the latter option was much easier. Was able to ride pretty much everything today aside from Green Lantern and Joker (stand-up coaster and spinning coaster, they aren't my thing) so I can't comment on those, but I'll rank these in order of intensity

1. Kingda Ka
- you'll feel your cheeks move back on the launch and I even got a little fuzzy vision on the descent (a grey-out) which is a coaster phenomenon that feels weird the first time you experience it but for fanatics is something to cheer on haha

2. The Jersey Devil - This was my first time on it today and wow it packs a punch. It's short, but decently intense. And it also depends on where you sit. It's a single rail Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC) coaster, so it's butter smooth but also very whippy around the corners. This was actually my first RMC coaster and wow I can see why @D Hulk loves Steel Vengance and Iron Gwazi, good lord I could only imagine how intense those are in comparison to this.
Also based on the line configuration, the ride is in constant motion, so it's hard to ask for a certain seat. The further back you sit, the more intense. That's pretty universal across most coasters. I needed a drink after this one 😂

3. El Toro - After being down for repairs late last year, this ride just reopened and it's just as good as I remember it, if not slightly less intense. Again it's where you sit. It was my brother's first time so we sat towards the front and even for coaster novices this is very doable and a lot of fun. There's a reason it's ranked so high on many coaster enthusiasts lists!

4. Superman: Ultimate Flight - A clone of a ride you'll have in Six Flags Over Georgia. It's a quick ride, but if you've never experienced a flying coaster before, the first inversion could be a sensation that throws you off. It's more the flying sensation than anything that makes this a 'must-try' as a coaster itself it's layout isn't that impressive.

5. Batman: The Ride - this is another clone of a ride you'll find in Six Flags Over Georgia, but if you do happen to skip it there, just know I do find the loops very tight, slightly uncomfortable, and you pull a lot of negative Gs. A good comparison intensity wise is Dueling Dragons in IoA.

6. Medusa (formally Bizarro, formally Medusa) - This was the world's first floorless coaster. This ride is basically the same as before just with a different paint scheme. If you've been on the Incredible Hulk , in my opinion it's about the same level of intensity. It's smooth but with a lot of loops, inversions.

7. Nitro - I could ride it over and over. It's the floater airtime and a great first drop that really sell it. (4-7 on this list are by the manufacturer Bolliger & Mabillard, B&M for short), who are known for developing smooth hypercoasters and looping coasters, however many with similar layouts)

There are some others such as Skull Mountain, The Dark Knight, and Runaway Mine Train, but they are no more intense than Disney coasters such as Big Thunder.

My SFGA Top 5 favorites
1. El Toro
2. The Jersey Devil
3. Kingda Ka
4. Nitro

5. Medusa

I hope this helps!
Thanks a lot!

Since I only have four weeks (even less actually because college orientation is happening the first week), The parks list is looking more like this (in order of starting location):

SF over GA
Dollywood
Kings Island
Kennywood
Hershey
BGW

As much as I wanted to see Cedar Point, it's just too far out of the way. :confused:

Still an excellent lineup though!

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Thanks a lot!

Since I only have four weeks (even less actually because college orientation is happening the first week), The parks list is looking more like this (in order of starting location):

SF over GA
Dollywood
Kings Island
Kennywood
Hershey
BGW

As much as I wanted to see Cedar Point, it's just too far out of the way. :confused:

I can help with Hershey - it's been a few years but I can gather together some tips. @TheOriginalTiki iirc recently went to Dollywood. And I think you'd enjoy this trip report thread from @D Hulk -- it was a few years ago but the info is still relevant.

Definitely worth a read or two when you are doing your pre-trip research (Kennywood, Kings Island, and Hershey are included)

SplashJacket

Hello there my fellow armchair imagineers!

As a final send-off before I go to college, I'm undertaking a MASSIVE roadtrip all around the east coast to different amusement parks to "catch up" on the insane coasters I've been missing and become a more well-rounded theme park enthusiast.

Parks I'm planning on visiting:

Six Flags over Georgia
Dollywood
Kings Island
Cedar Point
Kennywood
HersheyPark
Busch Gardens VA

Not 100% sure on these but will try:

SF Great Adventure
Kings Dominion
Carowinds

So, as a Disney fan who has never ridden anything crazier than Rockin' Rollercoaster, which coasters should be a must-do for me and which ones should I be careful about in terms of roughness? I'm going to try and ride as many as possible, but I would like an opinion from those of you who've actually gone to at least one of these parks. Many thanks in advance!!!!
Twisted Cyclone at Six Flags Over Georgia is amazing. Just short. Goliath is great too.

Make sure to do Monster Mansion. Pure madness. Hilarious that it exists. Enjoy the absurdity of it

TheOriginalTiki

Alright, here's what you need to know about Dollywood.

Lightning Rod is INFAMOUSLY unreliable. If you're in the park and you see it running, DO IT IMMEDIATELY. I became one of countless enthusiasts who made the pilgrimage to the park only to be greeted with it being closed every day I was there. I was able to find a lot else to love about the park, but suffice to say it did sting starring at the star attraction (and one of the star coasters in the world) and not being able to get on it. Dollywood's lineup is definitely a "quality over quantity" affair.

Dragonflier - Vekoma family suspended coaster I didn't get the credit on because of how slow the loading was...even with a fast lane! It looks like a ton of fun though. Wildwood Groove is nothing special during the day but the area really comes alive at night. I wish I were able to spend a little bit more time back there during my last trip. Rumor has it their next big coaster is going to be built back there.

Firechaser Express
- Easily the most popular attraction in the park which will always have the longest line. Firechaser is a really solid family coaster about in line with the Disney "mountains" in terms of thrill level. There's some really cool light bits of theme and a nifty backwards launch section, but as a coaster enthusiast I still found it to be a bit forceless.

Blazing Fury - Feels like something out of Knotts, and I love it for that. It's basically a four minute dark ride with a couple sharp coaster drops at the end. I really, really got into this one. Tons of little story details to pick up on and fun bits of dialogue. Some of the set pieces are actually pretty beautiful, most notable the bridge overlooking a big "river".

Thunderhead - The big surprise of the trip for me. I know I haven't been on enough "ejector airtime" machines (Though unlike Hulk, I actually prefer floater style) but this one takes the cake for me. Better than the two California RMCs I've been on(from an airtime POV), better than Ghostrider, PROBABLY not better than El Toro, but still a surprisingly world-class woodie that has a ton to offer. Probably THE best night ride in the park (likely next to Lightning Rod haha). I absolutely adore quirky little details like the helix out of the station.

Wild Eagle - A huge fan favorite with locals and the general public, and for good reason. Wild Eagle takes a somewhat traditional B&M looper layout and puts it on steroids with the absolutely insane hillside setting. You are literally flying above the whole rest of the park with this one. The lift hill up the side of the mountain is particularly memorable. It's not going to be the most intense coaster in the park, but it's probably the one with the most fun factor and best sightlines.

Tennessee Tornado - A late generation Arrow looper that was a REAL hit with me. Probably the best first drop in the park (again, excluding Lightning Rod :p ) and two super duper forceful loops. You don't really need much more than that. It's just a super fun, quick burst of adrenaline with some great theme in the queue and surrounding area. Also makes for a great night ride.

Mystery Mine - The park's star attraction in my mind. Yes, the middle section is a little rough and uneventful, but everything else is pretty much Disney level as far as telling a story through the confines of a roller coaster and its setting. The final vertical lift, show elements, and drop/dive loop might be one of my all time favorite coaster finales. It really is a more extreme version of the super-themed Disney coaster experience. Everything from walking up to the mine (which basically towers over the whole area like Tower of Terror does...) to the small details and signage in the queue to the ride itself really works amazingly well to illustrate the "cursed canary in the mine shaft" storyline. You've also just gotta love the theme song which just radiates "Grim Grinnin' Ghosts" energy.​

Outside of the coasters, the park has a really humble down home vibe with some of the nicest employees I've encountered. There's a woman currently working in the Wild Eagle gift shop named Peppermint Patti who's been an iconic CM of the park for decades. She's kind of Dollywood's Maynard as far as how notable she is. The park also just has a great thematic flow to it, with visual motifs to eagles, firefighting, and mining all over the park. It makes the layout a bit more exploratory. All the details remind me of pre-Iger era Disneyland, but with the themes spread through the whole park instead of confined to their own lands.

I also found the Chasing Rainbows museum to be a wonderful break from the crowds/heat and it became my GO TO rest stop. Stuff like that and Dolly's childhood home go a long way towards adding a layer of authenticity to the place. It really is a fantastic, top tier park from everything I experienced even though the trip I took was haunted by a big string of bad luck.

D Hulk

Thanks a lot!

SF over GA
Dollywood
Kings Island
Kennywood
Hershey
BGW

This remains an absolutely stacked park collection you have planned for yourself! Please allow me to add a little more advice...

Loose Articles
It's a general rule at coaster parks that you won't be able to ride with loose items. This is very different from Disney parks where you can usually bring backpacks onto coasters. At these coaster-centric parks, you usually cannot ride with even a cell phone. There's too much risk that it might fly out of your pocket. Some parks maintain broken phone displays as warnings, kinda like heads on pikes.

@spacemt354 pointed out that SF Great Adventure uses a mandatory locker policy for loose items. Some parks provide bins on the loading platform instead. Sadly, there's little consistency, even within the same park. Your best course of action is to carry as little on yourself as possible. Leave what you can in your car. If possible, wear clothing with zippers or Velcro pockets. That removes nearly all the worry. And don't stress over it! It'll become second nature once you reach your second park.

Know Your Limits
Do not push yourself past what you're physically or emotionally comfortable with. If you start feeling light headed or exhausted after a coaster, take a break. Be aware of the sun's effects. Sit in some shade, drink plenty of fluids, and only press on when you feel absolutely recovered.

Food In the Parks
For the most part, it's awful, and it's overpriced. Whenever possible, eat outside of the parks. An exception to this, from what I've heard, is Dollywood. They sound like the complete customer service package! Regarding the other parks: There's a sit down sports bar & grill at Kings Island, so that's something. Kennywood offers some heart-clogging loaded fries at The Potato Patch, they're a must-do. Hershey's World of Chocolate just beyond the Hersheypark gates sells delicious shakes and desserts...in fact, World of Chocolate overall is not-to-be-missed. It's the Epcot of chocolate. See it! SF Great Adventure has, er, it has a Panda Express. Busch Gardens' food might be OK?

I Cannot Stress This Enough, Consider Knoebels!
Knoebels is only a slight detour on the road between Kennywood and Hersheypark. I visited on my 2018 coaster road trip, and it proved to pretty much be the trip's highlight. You could wake up in Pittsburgh near Kennywood, start your drive towards Hershey, and pause at Knoebels for most of the day along the way. It'll add at most one more day to your trip. And it is so worth it!

dFdvhdZLouMuPuc-800x450-noPad.jpg

Knoebels is so special and homespun and one-of-a-kind, like a cross between a trolley park, a carnival, a campground, a thrift store, and a genuine small town. It's the epitome of what amusement parks were like before Walt Disney, in the best possible way. This place has no fences and no entry gates, you simply wander on in (as does the occasional deer). It's pay-per-ride. Their standout is Phoenix, a 1940s wooden coaster from Texas which was slated for demolition until Knoebels purchased it and lovingly rebuilt it plank-by-plank. Phoenix basically has no restraints whatsoever, so you'll feel some heavenly airtime on its perfectly parabolic hills. There's also Flying Turns, the world's only wooden bobsled coaster, and Twister, another fascinating vintage woodie, plus a modern steel inverter called Impulse. The rides you'd usually skip are arguably the best in the world here - this includes the carousel, bumper cars, aerial scooters, et cetera. Each one is a must-do! Even the non-ride attractions like the weird forgotten boardwalk games are standouts. Then there's the food, run by independent contractors competing for your love with low prices and high quality.

Give me a day or two, and I'll organize my detailed thoughts on what you mustn't miss at Kennywood and Hersheypark.

Mickeynerd17

Original Poster
UPDATE: Since HersheyPark and the hotels around it are extremely expensive (Animal Kingdom Lodge is cheaper!), plans are changing and we'll probably go to Cedar Point instead. Still hitting Kennywood but just don't have enough room for Knoebels mainly because I'm planning two days at each park incase of rain.

On the positive side, Cedar Point has more coasters (like Magnum XL, which looks like BTM on crack, and Gatekeeper which has been on my bucket list for awhile).

Also, I'm noticing how many of these coasters are 200 and 300+ feet. Lord help me. 😆 😬

JokersWild

UPDATE: Since HersheyPark and the hotels around it are extremely expensive (Animal Kingdom Lodge is cheaper!), plans are changing and we'll probably go to Cedar Point instead. Still hitting Kennywood but just don't have enough room for Knoebels mainly because I'm planning two days at each park incase of rain.

On the positive side, Cedar Point has more coasters (like Magnum XL, which looks like BTM on crack, and Gatekeeper which has been on my bucket list for awhile).

Also, I'm noticing how many of these coasters are 200 and 300+ feet. Lord help me. 😆 😬
Have you looked into staying in Lancaster rather than Hershey. It’s maybe 30-40 minutes away from the park and tends to be cheaper, in my experience. It’s in the middle of Amish country, and is a pretty unique tourist experience that you’d probably never have again unless you sought it out.

D Hulk

Replacing Hersheypark with Cedar Point is a MASSIVE upgrade! Well done.

CEDAR POINT GUIDE

Cedar Point comes close to perfection for me as a pure coaster park. If you go looking for theming you'll be disappointed, but if you want energetic atmosphere, an interesting setting, lots of jaw-dropping sights, great people-watching, and of course thrills galore, it is utterly top notch. Cedar Point is the Magic Kingdom of coaster parks. For coaster enthusiasts, it has that same "Mecca" status...and as a result it gets just as crowded. Heck, both parks share a dramatic arrival across a body of water. Cedar Point's perch out in the middle of Lake Erie overlooking Sandusky is something else.

Since you'll be doing Kings Island and Cedar Point back-to-back over several days, it might be worth getting a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass. This gives you unlimited chain-wide park access, plus free "extra ride time" access in the mornings (and sometimes the evenings). This will be especially useful for snagging quick rides on the high-demand headliners. Kings Island is a great stepping stone park as you work your way up to Cedar Point. You're following the same personal coaster journey I once trekked.

Du3amNWVYAAMPAO

At Cedar Point, I wholly recommend rope dropping Steel Vengeance, my #1 favorite coaster in the whole wide world! High demand and low capacity can mean long lines. SteVe is located one mile from the main entrance, so instead park out on the tip of the peninsula and enter Cedar Point through their "International Gateway" entrance near Frontier Town. (Near the water park.) SteVe will wow you with the world's record for airtime (around 30 cumulative seconds) and a nearly relentless prime ride time which never seems to end. It's RMC's masterpiece to date...though Iron Gwazi nips its heels.

Cedar%20Point%20Maverick%20roller%20coaster_1520438557930.png_13506644_ver1.0.jpg

If Steel Vengeance is most comparable to Iron Gwazi (my #3), then its next door neighbor Maverick (my #6) is most comparable to Velocicoaster (my #4). This is the original Intamin "Blitz" launch coaster. The stats are unimpressive, it isn't intimidating, but the hyperactive low-to-the-ground layout will take your breath away. Great thrills in a tiny package.

cp-millennium-force-tileimagev2.jpg

Millennium Force is many enthusiasts' fave at the Point. It was the first coaster over 300'. Super intimidating the first time, then pure fun afterwards. Just an incredible first drop which will launch you from your seat, plus a ton of massive airtime hills throughout coupled with tremendous speeds. A true crowd pleaser! Do this after Maverick, unless instead your priority is -

240387510_1140x641.jpg

Magnum XL-200, the first coaster over 200'. It's an Arrow Dynamics coaster from the 1980s, made before computer-assisted design, so it's showing its age, but it's still held in reverence by most enthusiasts as another airtime dynamo. The out-and-back layout's return trip especially offers unique triangle-shaped ejector hills. The third row from the front is the legendary "magic seat." Give it a shot! (Generally, though, front or back seat is the best on most coasters depending on your tastes.)

912_img5477.jpeg

Top Thrill Dragster will probably be closed for you, it's likely neared the end of its service life. :arghh: If somehow it does open, do it immediately! (After SteVe and Maverick.) Lines can back up. TTD is a one-trick pony, but what a trick! Launch well over 100 mph, vertical climb well over 400', then a twisting vertical drop straight down. All in under 30 seconds. Kingda-Ka at SF Great Adventure is similar, and taller, but this is a superior ride experience (hooray for just lap bars!).

After you've done these rides above, you can visit the Midway towards the front of the park. This is where all the B&Ms and seagulls live. Since most guests enter from down here, these rides see longer lines early in the day, then crowds spread out later on, kinda like Spaceship Earth. These B&Ms include...

e8ca8e0e-8b05-4a34-82e5-64ade3422dc0_1140x641.jpg

Raptor, a first-gen B&M invert. Built into a compact lot with lots of whippy transitions. It's extremely forceful, one I tend to ride defensively. Beloved by fans of positive-Gs. Watch out for that final brake run!

6cb75155ba5adf71c3a1bc1b9b713650.jpg

Gatekeeper is a graceful, majestic wing coaster which sails right over the main entrance. You'll ride to the left or side of the track - try both. While it looks extremely intimidating, the actual experience is more "Soarin' if it were a coaster." Beautiful, almost Zen. A front row ride comes closest to feeling like true flight, since there's nothing in front of you, not even track.

Valravn-cedar-point-roller-coaster-cr-courtesy.jpg

Valravn is the world's tallest dive coaster, somewhere around 250' or so. It's psychologically intimidating, but a fairly middling actual ride experience. (I prefer SheiKra.) You'll be dangled vertically facing the earth before a chain untethers from the train and you enter freefall. The layout which follows is standard B&M.

1000px-Rougarou_%28Cedar_Point%29_2018_01.jpg

Rougarou is a floorless coaster (basically a gimmicky sit down coaster) which used to be a standup coaster called Mantis. The track profiling is a little uncomfortable since it was originally designed for a higher rider heartline. Pretty textbook B&M looper. Still, you oughta try it.

exrxpo85j6n01.jpg

Then there are Cedar Point's multitude of supporting coasters. Gemini is a unique 1970s wood & steel hybrid racing coaster, with an intensity right on the edge between family ride and thrill ride. I vomited on it once! 😃 Blue Streak near the front is the park's only true wooden coaster, dating to the 1960s, with a classic jittery boardwalk woodie feel. Corkscrew, one of the first modern inverting coasters, is the park's least comfortable coaster; I do not recommend this one. Cedar Point Mine Ride and Iron Dragon both offer family thrills equivalent to Disney. Woodstock Express is like Universal's Hippogriff, if you're collecting credits.

cp-lerailroad-tileimage.jpg

Among non-coaster rides, there are a few goodies. Most of these work best as relaxing cool-downs between the big beasts. The Cedar Point & Lake Erie Railroad offers some unique views, genuinely useful transportation, plus the leg leaving Frontier Town goes through the indescribable camp masterpiece that is Boneville. Cedar Point Downs near Valravn answers the question "What if a carousel were a thrill ride?" It's great! There's a Sky Ride over the Midway for the views and the breeze. Snake River Expedition was added last year for the 100th anniversary; while I haven't done it, I'm told it's like an Old West version of Jungle Cruise. Sounds interesting. If you're looking to truly relax, go for a stroll on the beach between Gatekeeper and the Breakers Hotel. (If you somehow need even more to do, there are like 50 flat rides.)

There are a few sit down restaurants which offer a nice respite from the adrenaline. I most highly recommend Melt, plus a BBQ place outside the park on the marina near the Valravn entrance (forget its name). While Cedar Point was improving their food offerings during my visits, it seems they're backsliding lately. Most of it remains basic carnival fast food. Do some research into this.

Mickeynerd17

Original Poster
Replacing Hersheypark with Cedar Point is a MASSIVE upgrade! Well done.

CEDAR POINT GUIDE

Cedar Point comes close to perfection for me as a pure coaster park. If you go looking for theming you'll be disappointed, but if you want energetic atmosphere, an interesting setting, lots of jaw-dropping sights, great people-watching, and of course thrills galore, it is utterly top notch. Cedar Point is the Magic Kingdom of coaster parks. For coaster enthusiasts, it has that same "Mecca" status...and as a result it gets just as crowded. Heck, both parks share a dramatic arrival across a body of water. Cedar Point's perch out in the middle of Lake Erie overlooking Sandusky is something else.

Since you'll be doing Kings Island and Cedar Point back-to-back over several days, it might be worth getting a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass. This gives you unlimited chain-wide park access, plus free "extra ride time" access in the mornings (and sometimes the evenings). This will be especially useful for snagging quick rides on the high-demand headliners. Kings Island is a great stepping stone park as you work your way up to Cedar Point. You're following the same personal coaster journey I once trekked.

Du3amNWVYAAMPAO

At Cedar Point, I wholly recommend rope dropping Steel Vengeance, my #1 favorite coaster in the whole wide world! High demand and low capacity can mean long lines. SteVe is located one mile from the main entrance, so instead park out on the tip of the peninsula and enter Cedar Point through their "International Gateway" entrance near Frontier Town. (Near the water park.) SteVe will wow you with the world's record for airtime (around 30 cumulative seconds) and a nearly relentless prime ride time which never seems to end. It's RMC's masterpiece to date...though Iron Gwazi nips its heels.

Cedar%20Point%20Maverick%20roller%20coaster_1520438557930.png_13506644_ver1.0.jpg

If Steel Vengeance is most comparable to Iron Gwazi (my #3), then its next door neighbor Maverick (my #6) is most comparable to Velocicoaster (my #4). This is the original Intamin "Blitz" launch coaster. The stats are unimpressive, it isn't intimidating, but the hyperactive low-to-the-ground layout will take your breath away. Great thrills in a tiny package.

cp-millennium-force-tileimagev2.jpg

Millennium Force is many enthusiasts' fave at the Point. It was the first coaster over 300'. Super intimidating the first time, then pure fun afterwards. Just an incredible first drop which will launch you from your seat, plus a ton of massive airtime hills throughout coupled with tremendous speeds. A true crowd pleaser! Do this after Maverick, unless instead your priority is -

240387510_1140x641.jpg

Magnum XL-200, the first coaster over 200'. It's an Arrow Dynamics coaster from the 1980s, made before computer-assisted design, so it's showing its age, but it's still held in reverence by most enthusiasts as another airtime dynamo. The out-and-back layout's return trip especially offers unique triangle-shaped ejector hills. The third row from the front is the legendary "magic seat." Give it a shot! (Generally, though, front or back seat is the best on most coasters depending on your tastes.)

912_img5477.jpeg

Top Thrill Dragster will probably be closed for you, it's likely neared the end of its service life. :arghh: If somehow it does open, do it immediately! (After SteVe and Maverick.) Lines can back up. TTD is a one-trick pony, but what a trick! Launch well over 100 mph, vertical climb well over 400', then a twisting vertical drop straight down. All in under 30 seconds. Kingda-Ka at SF Great Adventure is similar, and taller, but this is a superior ride experience (hooray for just lap bars!).

After you've done these rides above, you can visit the Midway towards the front of the park. This is where all the B&Ms and seagulls live. Since most guests enter from down here, these rides see longer lines early in the day, then crowds spread out later on, kinda like Spaceship Earth. These B&Ms include...

e8ca8e0e-8b05-4a34-82e5-64ade3422dc0_1140x641.jpg

Raptor, a first-gen B&M invert. Built into a compact lot with lots of whippy transitions. It's extremely forceful, one I tend to ride defensively. Beloved by fans of positive-Gs. Watch out for that final brake run!

6cb75155ba5adf71c3a1bc1b9b713650.jpg

Gatekeeper is a graceful, majestic wing coaster which sails right over the main entrance. You'll ride to the left or side of the track - try both. While it looks extremely intimidating, the actual experience is more "Soarin' if it were a coaster." Beautiful, almost Zen. A front row ride comes closest to feeling like true flight, since there's nothing in front of you, not even track.

Valravn-cedar-point-roller-coaster-cr-courtesy.jpg

Valravn is the world's tallest dive coaster, somewhere around 250' or so. It's psychologically intimidating, but a fairly middling actual ride experience. (I prefer SheiKra.) You'll be dangled vertically facing the earth before a chain untethers from the train and you enter freefall. The layout which follows is standard B&M.

1000px-Rougarou_%28Cedar_Point%29_2018_01.jpg

Rougarou is a floorless coaster (basically a gimmicky sit down coaster) which used to be a standup coaster called Mantis. The track profiling is a little uncomfortable since it was originally designed for a higher rider heartline. Pretty textbook B&M looper. Still, you oughta try it.

exrxpo85j6n01.jpg

Then there are Cedar Point's multitude of supporting coasters. Gemini is a unique 1970s wood & steel hybrid racing coaster, with an intensity right on the edge between family ride and thrill ride. I vomited on it once! 😃 Blue Streak near the front is the park's only true wooden coaster, dating to the 1960s, with a classic jittery boardwalk woodie feel. Corkscrew, one of the first modern inverting coasters, is the park's least comfortable coaster; I do not recommend this one. Cedar Point Mine Ride and Iron Dragon both offer family thrills equivalent to Disney. Woodstock Express is like Universal's Hippogriff, if you're collecting credits.

cp-lerailroad-tileimage.jpg

Among non-coaster rides, there are a few goodies. Most of these work best as relaxing cool-downs between the big beasts. The Cedar Point & Lake Erie Railroad offers some unique views, genuinely useful transportation, plus the leg leaving Frontier Town goes through the indescribable camp masterpiece that is Boneville. Cedar Point Downs near Valravn answers the question "What if a carousel were a thrill ride?" It's great! There's a Sky Ride over the Midway for the views and the breeze. Snake River Expedition was added last year for the 100th anniversary; while I haven't done it, I'm told it's like an Old West version of Jungle Cruise. Sounds interesting. If you're looking to truly relax, go for a stroll on the beach between Gatekeeper and the Breakers Hotel. (If you somehow need even more to do, there are like 50 flat rides.)

There are a few sit down restaurants which offer a nice respite from the adrenaline. I most highly recommend Melt, plus a BBQ place outside the park on the marina near the Valravn entrance (forget its name). While Cedar Point was improving their food offerings during my visits, it seems they're backsliding lately. Most of it remains basic carnival fast food. Do some research into this.
Wow! Thank you for this guide!

I'm approaching this trip with the completionist mindset: I want to do everything (except drop towers 😫) once.

As for dragster, *nervous laughter*, part of me wants it to be closed so I don't worry, but if it is open, I might have to consider it. 😬

As for everything else, I'll have already done Orion at KI along with a basic RMC at SFOG, so I might be more used to those when I get there.

Also, doesn't CP have one of those arrow suspended coasters? I thought it did but I can't remember the name. Any thoughts on that if I'm right?

Mickeynerd17

Original Poster
Have you looked into staying in Lancaster rather than Hershey. It’s maybe 30-40 minutes away from the park and tends to be cheaper, in my experience. It’s in the middle of Amish country, and is a pretty unique tourist experience that you’d probably never have again unless you sought it out.
Didn't think of that, but its ok. Cedar Point was higher on my list anyway. I'll get to Hershey one day!

D Hulk

Also, doesn't CP have one of those arrow suspended coasters? I thought it did but I can't remember the name. Any thoughts on that if I'm right?
Iron Dragon is CP’s Arrow suspended. It’s very tame, almost comparable to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

Kings Island’s Bat is another Arrow suspended. It is substantially more intense, more like Expedition Everest, with some super strong lateral forces. I love ‘em both, because I love this coaster model and I wish more survived.

ThemeParkPriest

Thanks a lot!

SF over GA
Dollywood
Kings Island
Kennywood
Hershey
BGW

Wow. Apparently it's Kings Island's 50th anniversary season this year. Who knew THIS was when I was first visiting? Damn I'm a lucky soul.
I'm strongly considering doing King's Island this June!

Mickeynerd17

Original Poster
I'm strongly considering doing King's Island this June!
That's funny, I'll be there in June as well!

Darn it. It was literally between KI and Lagoon for my June trip and I leaned towards Lagoon (mostly for the park being a lot closer to me geographically speaking). We should absolutely do a coaster meet up at some point.
As much as I would love to do this, my family members would find it very strange, so highly unlikely for me.

BUT, in the future when I'm by myself, maybe. 😏

Mickeynerd17

Original Poster
OK, plans are more finalized for park lineup now, so here's the 98% accurate lineup. My party has decided to get the platinum passes for Cedar Fair due to the benefits and overall cheaper price (plus more days than planned at certain parks!!!)

Firstly, one day at SFOG to start followed by a day at Dollywood (I'm treating this as a more relaxing park experience due to the smaller number of attractions). From there I'll have two days at KI where the plan is one park day and one water park day. Then I'm off to Cedar Point for two days because of weekend crowds and number of rides followed by a day at Kennywood. Then I dip down to BGW for a day (I'll make sure to ride Pantheon for you guys!) and wrap up at Carowinds for two days (I'll be there on July 4th weekend. Yes, I tried scheduling around it but it didn't work with plans, so we'll see how I survive).

Inbetween these park days are travel and days for other site visits (museums, etc) so I can recover from any headaches I may sustain.

All of this adds to a month of fun and a truly eye-opening experience. I hope to post reports on this thread of each park as I visit along with my personal opinions so watch out for those throughout June!

TheOriginalTiki

A couple Dollywood tips...

-Unless you're a BIG country music fan, I'd just straight up avoid the shows especially with just one day. The park is world renowned for entertainment and I'm sure they're all super talented musicians, but none of the shows were really "theme park" worthy from what I could see. For a country fan it might be their Woodstock haha, but I was bored to tears by the few I attended.

-I already mentioned this, but the Dolly Parton museum is a must do if it's open. It was my go-to "get out of the heat and relax" location when I was there, and the amount of stuff on display is pretty dang cool even for someone not too familiar with Dolly's music.

-If Lightning Rod is running, do it IMMEDIATELY (if you think you can handle it of course). It is INFAMOUSLY tempermental. I was one of countless enthusiasts to fly all the way out there only to find the ride closed the whole time. If it's not running when the park first opens, absolutely head for Firechaser Express as that always gets the longest line.

-Really take the time to appreciate Blazing Fury and Mystery Mine. They're both absolutely top tier dark ride coasters with a ton of fun story beats to them. Fury has a lot of little hidden gags and Mystery Mine has a whole storyline set up through queue signage.

-Wildwood Grove is absolutely lame during the day, but really worth a walk back at night. Probably one of the best night areas of the park. Speaking of night, I already mentioned this but Thunderhead and Tennessee Tornado are going to be your go to night rides.

-The famous cinnamon bread can be found in the bakery next to the park entrance. Most people go to the Grist Mill for it and the line is absolutely unholy. For food in general I'd try to eat during off hours as it's definitely one of the things the park is dragging on.

-When walking around the park, you're pretty much making a loop around the big hill that Wild Eagle is on. Go to the left of the entrance past the big gift shop and Thunderhead for the quickest route to most of the coasters besides Lightning Rod, go straight ahead through Craftsman's Valley for a more scenic route that's a lot easier to walk since the uphill incline isn't nearly as sharp.

TheOriginalTiki

The good thing about Carrowinds as far as crowds go from what I know is that all of their headliner attractions are B&Ms, which are notorious people eaters. From what I can tell, a lot of people that go to that park make a loop around to hit up each coaster once, and then just marathon Fury 325 the rest of the day. I know the park's coaster roster is considered very top heavy, meaning their best attractions really knock it out of the park but then there's a handful of coasters that rest comfortably in the "meh" tier. I actually have some family in Charleston, so I've been low key pressuring my grandma to make a visit for the past couple years ;)

Kennywood is slowly climbing up my radar. There's not enough there to justify a whole trip just yet, but my god does that trench terrain that like three wood coasters plus Phantom's Revenge go through look tempting. Their Noah's Ark funhouse is also a must do.

Disney Dad 3000

OK, plans are more finalized for park lineup now, so here's the 98% accurate lineup. My party has decided to get the platinum passes for Cedar Fair due to the benefits and overall cheaper price (plus more days than planned at certain parks!!!)

Firstly, one day at SFOG to start followed by a day at Dollywood (I'm treating this as a more relaxing park experience due to the smaller number of attractions). From there I'll have two days at KI where the plan is one park day and one water park day. Then I'm off to Cedar Point for two days because of weekend crowds and number of rides followed by a day at Kennywood. Then I dip down to BGW for a day (I'll make sure to ride Pantheon for you guys!) and wrap up at Carowinds for two days (I'll be there on July 4th weekend. Yes, I tried scheduling around it but it didn't work with plans, so we'll see how I survive).

Inbetween these park days are travel and days for other site visits (museums, etc) so I can recover from any headaches I may sustain.

All of this adds to a month of fun and a truly eye-opening experience. I hope to post reports on this thread of each park as I visit along with my personal opinions so watch out for those throughout June!

If you have downtime during your Carowinds leg and need suggestions of any non-park things to do to break it up, let me know. the Whitewater Center (good times) and ASC Greenway are both really close by, and downtown charlotte is just a few minutes as well (museums, baseball if you're a fan (team in town 7/1-3 I believe), etc.

D Hulk

Here are a couple of great in-depth park reviews, both of which offer excellent touring advice. Disregard my earlier advice and look to these instead; some of what I suggested (like using the Cedar Point lagoon entrance) is outdated now. You could probably scour his channel for some of the other parks you're visiting as well.

Cedar Point

Kennywood​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom