News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
You may want to catch the replay of the DeSantis town hall on faux news tonight. It was pretty interesting if you want to know what he really thinks, unfiltered. He comments on RCID funding.

VP DeSantis did very well and the crowd was incredible. Don’t discount the number of people who support Florida’s bill, are behind dissolving RCID, and are furious with Disney’s public politics.
Just because they’re behind it doesn’t mean it’s legal

Chip Chipperson

DisneyDebRob

You may want to catch the replay of the DeSantis town hall on faux news tonight. It was pretty interesting if you want to know what he really thinks, unfiltered. He comments on RCID funding.

VP DeSantis did very well and the crowd was incredible. Don’t discount the number of people who support Florida’s bill, are behind dissolving RCID, and are furious with Disney’s public politics.
How people handle “Disneys public politics” is by not going. Just like any other business.. if you dont like what they say or who they support etc.. is by using the power of your money by not supporting them. Not by retaliation.

ParentsOf4

How people handle “Disneys public politics” is by not going. Just like any other business.. if you dont like what they say or who they support etc.. is by using the power of your money by not supporting them. Not by retaliation.
Conversely, if you agree with what Disney has done, buy more Disney stock, purchase more Disney products, watch more Disney movies, and plan more WDW vacations.

Especially that last one! :)

(Says the person whose next Orlando trip is a week away. :))

lazyboy97o

This may not even end up in courts. DeSantis has to solve this fast or it may tank FL's credit status.

Most free state in the nation.
This looks like it will show us how much those involved believed their own statements. There has generally been denial of any problems, so do they acknowledge that there is a problem or double down on the denial because they’re that lost in their own narrative? Florida has become increasingly retaliatory on a number of issues. I’m not sure I would be surprised if there is some attempt at trying to punish rating agencies for negative comments based on legislative action. That would be very much in line with the attitude that the state will do what it wants and nobody will stop them from doing it.

GimpYancIent

“Damage control mode” wrongly implies they’re publicly contesting the allegation that they’re “[injecting] sexuality into the programming for these young kids.” Letting RCID drama play out behind closed doors is one thing; this is something far more damaging to public perception, and TWDC leadership hasn’t had much (anything?) to say about it.
A flock of legal eagles is involved in working through the RCID situation to achieve a resolution. Exciting on T.V. or movies but actually boring, time consuming and minutely detailed. The public TWDC image is now tarnished with the senior management team's continued misjudgments and decisions a new team is necessitated to replace the existing team to show a cleanup and movement to again becoming the gold standard in entertainment. As for the parks an adjustment to a reasonable pricing model and return to providing a unique guest experience and not being like everyone else is also needed. Right now, the speculation is interesting to read about, but it will be a wait before actual results emerge from any legal actions.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As far the RCID issue there is no real upside for Disney. Their best outcome is a return to status quo so I agree it makes no sense for them to pursue a more public and contentious strategy. If they are smart they say very little publicly and get an agreement that gives them exactly what they want. Some people want to see Disney pursue a 1st Amendment lawsuit but that plays right into DeSantis’s hands. He wants a large public conflict with big, bad woke Disney because it juices up the base. He has numbers on his side for re-election so as long as the base shows up he wins. Nothing gets voter turnout better than a trumped up issue (no pun intended:))

mikejs78

Premium Member
DeSantis on FOX last night said in the same sentence that Disney was going to continue to pay for its own government but also not run its own government.

Can’t wait to see how he plans to achieve that one.
I really don't see how they're going to do this. Fitch basically said that the only viable solution is to reconstitute the district, maybe with a different administrative structure, but with all the powers and rights that it had before.

Now, DeSantis could try to put in a district that has administration from the counties or from the state as opposed to the Disney elected administrators, but that would run afoul of the homestead guarantee in the Florida Constitution.

I don't see a way out for DeSantis at this point or even some face saving measure. His choices are to basically repeal the dissolution, or tank the Florida economy.

Disney Glimpses

I really don't see how they're going to do this. Fitch basically said that the only viable solution is to reconstitute the district, maybe with a different administrative structure, but with all the powers and rights that it had before.

Now, DeSantis could try to put in a district that has administration from the counties or from the state as opposed to the Disney elected administrators, but that would run a foul of the homestead guarantee in the Florida Constitution.

I don't see a way out for DeSantis at this point or even some face saving measure. His choices are to basically repeal the dissolution, or tank the Florida economy.
They will also likely tighten the definition of “municipal project.” But in reality, will the new district be much different from the old?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Now, DeSantis could try to put in a district that has administration from the counties or from the state as opposed to the Disney elected administrators, but that would run afoul of the homestead guarantee in the Florida Constitution.

That’s probably the goal…”take it down” and change nothing…

Just words…since day one.

I’m greedy here: this is an excellent chance to change the Disney management structure. Do it now.

Someone give Bob Iger my cell and I can tell him how to do it in a way where he gets EVERYTHING he wants. This is not hard

Disney Glimpses

Can they even tighten that though? Fitch basically said they needed to have all the same construction and planning powers as they did before.
Maybe they can tighten how projects affect revenue of a business. The Disney Springs parking garages being built tax free is a good example of a project viewed problematic.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have been saying this all along. I would have no problem with DeSantis making statements against Disney. It would be within his rights to even call for a boycott. If he feels Disney‘s comments on this legislation were inappropriate that’s the proper way to handle it. What I have a big problem with is when elected officials use the power of the government that has been given to them by the people to attack and/or harm a political adversary. It’s right out of Putin Russia minus the poison. It’s never OK for a government to use taxes as a punishment on a person or company that has a different political opinion. Anyone who looks at this objectively can see that but some have blinders on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom