News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

JohnD

Would it then not go to the courts to be litigated (and appealed) with a pretty strong case for "voters in the district"? One could argue their voices are being curtailed given that they were promised a say in any dissolution of the special district.

Everything goes to the courts these days. I'm sure this bill will be no different.

Touchdown

Does anyone know why the special session was called for originally? Or what was also passed today? If not google it. That’s the real reason this happened. On that front it was a good political move in the short term, long term I don’t think this is a winner for those that voted for it. I also think it won’t ever be enacted

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I understand opposing the Bill. I am against it myself. But I don’t really feel bad for Disney.

I am surprised that people are treating them as the “hero to fight the good fight” when they were so slow to even acknowledge the bill in the first place.
To be clear: I don’t think that at all.

Disney’s greed level has risen beyond what’s financially wise and the management is a joke.

The entire episode is a spectacle meant to pull money out of what amounts to 40%…if you’re lucky…of the population of the United States.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sad to see that The Site That Shall Not Be Named now has higher standards in their reporting of Disney news than @wdwmagic does.

WDWMagic story:

View attachment 634637

The other site's story:

View attachment 634638

Only one site manages to actually give the correct name for the bill and at least acknowledge that it's not actually called the "Don't Say Gay" bill.
I think you might need some tai chi here.

TrainsOfDisney

I'd love to see the Governor of Alaska grant ExxonMobil sole control of a special district in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and watch heads explode over how immoral these corporate-run quasi-municipalities are.
Disney does not have “sole control” - so I’m not sure why you think that’s comparable at all.
Curious, what is dishonest about this particular report they wrote up? As far as I can tell its factual and accurate, perhaps you mean you wish they didn't editorialize?
That poster doesn’t want you to say gay even when you say “don’t say gay”

Lilofan

If you throw away folks in Orange and Osceola counties away, I guess you could say it's playing well with the people he cares about anyway..
I remember a long time ago he mispronounced Narcoossee. I should have known then he did not care about Osceola county..
What an idiot, coming from a Yale undergrad and Harvard law background.

Sir_Cliff

At the political level in Tallahassee, I think that is intentional. Florida is having a large surge of people moving from New York and California unlike at any other time in the state's history. With Florida being such a swing state in presidential elections with some elections being decided by a few hundred votes sometimes, I am sure this is an effort to slow down democrats from moving to Florida by-design with the most recent headlines. Also, Desantis is setting himself up to be a presidential candidate in the next election over Trump.
I find it hard to believe the strategy is to intentionally make Florida look bad so people will stop moving there. This is all about politics and specifically playing to the base, largely in the service of one man's quest for the presidency.

Looking from outside the US, it doesn't enhance Florida's brand. For most outsiders, though, it's probably more damaging for the country's brand as it looks like America is tearing itself apart over non-issues. In this case, the headline is Walt Disney World under attack by the Florida government for opposing Don't Say Gay legislation. It plays to all the negative stereotypes about polarisation over social issues and the country slipping slowly toward authoritarianism, in this case involving a presidential hopeful and his supporters trying to tear down one of the country's most successful tools of soft power.

Interesting times.

TP2000

I'm just absolutely amazed at how badly this has gone for Chapek and Disney.

It's stunning to watch. I would have expected a Democrat run Florida legislature to cancel and remove the RCID sweetheart deal and return Disney World to county and state governmental oversight and taxation.

But instead to see a Republican led Florida legislature (who will easily win re-election in November and remain in power for the forseeable future) cancel RCID is just... stunning.

And then to see people on the left of the political spectrum get all upset at that and claim "Big corporations must not be allowed to be regulated by local and state government!" is not just stunning, it's hysterically funny to watch.

This has to be one of the most bizarrely entertaining Disney chapters in the company's history. Bigger than the Save Disney campaign almost 20 years ago.

Last edited:

JohnD

Sad to see that The Site That Shall Not Be Named now has higher standards in their reporting of Disney news than @wdwmagic does.

WDWMagic story:

View attachment 634637

The other site's story:

View attachment 634638

Only one site manages to actually give the correct name for the bill and at least acknowledge that it's not actually called the "Don't Say Gay" bill.

Both sites have the nickname of the bill in quotes and both say the Legislature is following DeSantis' lead. You're making a distinction without a difference.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What does this mean?

I think it’s a more complex issue, even if DeSantis’ motive is pretty gross.

What part is hard to understand? Dissolving Reedy Creek it punishment for Disney speaking out about legislation they didn't like. Imagine if you criticized you local government on social media, and they decided to raise you property taxes because they didn't like what you said.

Sean88

What about the fact that was made up and there will not be $200 million in additional taxes to the counties/state
Really how do you know that ? what about the money that Disney was paying to reedy creek ? That money will now go to the county. the state is removing a layer of government. What about the fact that now Disney will have to go through the same things every other corporation or resident of Florida has to go through? Such as environmental impact studies, fema flood assessment, building permit approval through the county and all the fees tied to this?
this puts Disney on an even playing field with universal, sea world and the smaller parks in that area. I’m just really surprised at everyone being so upset that a massive corporation now will have to pay its fair share.
What about the fact that was made up and there will not be $200 million in additional taxes to the counties/state

Lilofan

I'm just absolutely amazed at how badly this has gone for Chapek and Disney.

It's stunning to watch. I would have expected a Democrat run Florida legislature to cancel and remove the RCID sweetheart deal and return Disney World to county and state governmental oversight.

But instead to see a Republican led Florida legislature (who will easily win re-election in November and remain in power for the forseeable future) cancel RCID is just... stunning.

And then to see people to the left of the political spectrum get all upset at that and claim "No! Private business must not be allowed to be regulated by local and state government!" is not just stunning, it's hysterically funny to watch.

This has to be one of the most bizarrely entertaining Disney chapters in the company's history. Bigger than the Save Disney campaign almost 20 years ago.
This saga may be discussed, dissected etc in future business law classes with students who actually can afford to go to college.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What does this mean?

Simple... the government taking punitive action against someone for something that is considered a protected right. Even if it's a power the government rightfully has.

Just like firing for someone for being a whistleblower... even if they have the right to fire you any day of the week, if the reason for the action is in response to your whistleblowing - that's retaliation. Just like the government targeting you for scrutiny purely for your protected speech.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd love to see the Governor of Alaska grant ExxonMobil sole control of a special district in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and watch heads explode over how immoral these corporate-run quasi-municipalities are.
So we’re equating ecologically vital areas that could be destroyed with one industrial misstep with paving the chip and Dale lots fo make the parking trams less bumpy now…

This has got to be the biggest circus thread in the history of the Internet.

Last edited:

JohnD

Does anyone know why the special session was called for originally? Or what was also passed today? If not google it. That’s the real reason this happened. On that front it was a good political move in the short term, long term I don’t think this is a winner for those that voted for it. I also think it won’t ever be enacted

The primary purpose was for the Legislature to re-draw the FL Congressional Districts which they didn't accomplish during regular Session between January - early March. Because it is about "districts", the special districts bill was added. I guess because the special districts bill involved Disney it allowed DeSantis to add the third bill about social media which removed WDW's exemption from a social media bill passed last year.

Three bills were passed, all on a party line vote:
  • 2C: FL Congressional Districts (must be passed by the Legislature and signed by the Governor. Primary reason for special session)
  • 4C: Independent Special Districts (6 special districts, including RCID are dissolved by June 30, 2023 unless a resolution is found)
  • 6C: Social Media Platforms (removes WDW theme park exemption from a social media bill passed last year)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom