News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Disstevefan1

DeSantis' line at the press conference on this topic yesterday was generally "we are interested in the best interests of Floridians and won't have our state run by woke CEO's from California".

If there was a focus group watching, the dials would have broken off it would have been so positive for all political leaning groups in the state. Nobody likes Californians trying to bully their state.

He is on solid ground politically on this issue.
Best interests of SOME Floridians, not the ones who live in Orange and Osceola counties...

Tom P.

We obviously have opposing views of the bill. I am writing what I believe to be the truth and facts. You are choosing something else. I standby it. I am sure you can find other sites that fit your views. This one isn't it.
I have no issue with your having a different viewpoint. I know this is a highly charged issue and people have strong viewpoints. And, hey, if you posted an editorial on the site railing against the bill, I'd have no issue with that. My issue is simply on the reporting of the actual facts here. The bill is not called the "Don't Say Gay" bill. I mean, it's just not. It's called the Parental Rights in Education Act. Opponents have dubbed it the "Don't Say Gay" bill to make a point about it. In what is supposed to be a news story reporting information, I don't know why you can't add that simple bit of context. That's all I'm saying.

Sean88

Mayor Demings will gave no choice but to pass the increased costs to the local taxpayers. The raising tourist tax and businesses won't pay for all these costs. When it hurts more to the locals let us see how this plays out. The FL legislators and DeSantis could care less.
What about the fact that Disney will now be contributing north of 200,000,000 dollars to the 2 counties and state. I’m not making this political but politicians that disagree with something always say taxes will go up.

peter11435

The mayor is full of it and he knows it. All they have to do is raise taxes on businesses with over 60,000 employees in the county (commensurate with the increased costs) and the problem goes away.
You know that would get challenged and they would lose right? They can’t just do that as you claim. And even if they could there are limits to how much they could increase annually.

Sean88

I asked this on another thread - wouldn't this mean the taxpayers in Orange County would have to foot the bill for all the services that Disney currently pays the cost for? Water, fire protection, etc. ...

Yeesh.
Yes. at the same time it’s estimated that Disney will now be paying north of 200,000,000 in taxes and impact fees a year. It’s all going to even out

flynnibus

Premium Member
The first amendment does not entitle a corporation to a special-purpose administrative district.
No, but the argument is it's going to be hard for the government to show their action was not retaliatory for Disney's protected speech.

Just because the action itself is valid (taking away a state granted power) does not mean its initiation was not retaliation. Just normally politicans are far better at burying their intents in more justifiably moves. But here the Florida GOP has basically told everyone why they even initiated this kind of review/change.

Targeting all districts under a common criteria was an effort to make this appear to not be about Disney... but the blowhards have ruined that cover with their own mouths.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Yes. at the same time it’s estimated that Disney will now be paying north of 200,000,000 in taxes and impact fees a year. It’s all going to even out
That is a number thrown out by a state representative who is not from either Orange or Osceola Counties who has also made a number of false statements on the situation. He did not provide any specifics. The Orange County Tax Collector has said otherwise.

Chip Chipperson

What 1billion in debt?

RCID has nearly $800 million in General Obligation Bonds (over $800 million with the interest payments) plus another $200+ million in pension and post-retirement health benefits obligations. If the effort to dissolve RCID is successful (big IF), then the counties will have to absorb that debt. You can view RCID's annual financial audits here and verify for yourself if you're inclined to do so: https://flauditor.gov/pages/specialdistricts_efile pages/reedy creek improvement district.htm

lazyboy97o

I understand opposing the Bill. I am against it myself. But I don’t really feel bad for Disney.

I am surprised that people are treating them as the “hero to fight the good fight” when they were so slow to even acknowledge the bill in the first place.
You should feel bad. Governments attacking political speech is incredibly bad. It doesn’t matter who it is or how much you disagree.

Disstevefan1

Yup. He's played it beautifully and Disney looks like amateurs scrambling for a position and message.

Regardless of anybody's position on the bill, DeSantis has been consistent, clear, strong, and willing to take on the biggest employer in his state for what he thinks is right.

That is playing well to the people of Florida (and is why the national liberal media is so interested).
If you throw away folks in Orange and Osceola counties away, I guess you could say it's playing well with the people he cares about anyway..
I remember a long time ago he mispronounced Narcoossee. I should have known then he did not care about Osceola county..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom