Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

jinx8402

Me. I much prefer getting up early one day to plan out the vacation than getting up early every day of my vacation and hoping to get something.
And then if you don't you have to on the fly figure out how to plan your park day. or even if you do get one, you have to figure out on the fly how to incorporate that random time that you had no control over into your park plan.

At least if you didn't get the rides you really wanted 30-60 days prior you could have an idea of what you wanted to do.

G00fyDad

In other words, you knew how to efficiently use the system and it worked with your particular preferences and vacation planning proclivities. Some of which may have evolved in direct response to the requirements Disney has been putting in place over the years.

Fantastic! Gross and antithetical to any notion of what a vacation should be, but great. For you.

I'm simply calling a spade a spade: FP+ was a ludicrous system. In the meantime, I will continue to spend most of my theme park based vacations at Universal where it's actually, you know, a vacation.

You want a relaxing vacation, go to Hawaii. Disney parks have not been a relaxing and play-it-by-ear destination for decades.

Jeff4272

In other words, you knew how to efficiently use the system and it worked with your particular preferences and vacation planning proclivities. Some of which may have evolved in direct response to the requirements Disney has been putting in place over the years.

Fantastic! Gross and antithetical to any notion of what a vacation should be, but great. For you.

I'm simply calling a spade a spade: FP+ was a ludicrous system. In the meantime, I will continue to spend most of my theme park based vacations at Universal where it's actually, you know, a vacation.
there wasnt a whole lot of "secret planning" tools to FP+....you woke up once, booked what you wanted and that was it

matt9112

I mean, you can cancel and rebook a new ride that has a time that fits your schedule? Again or you can cancel and refresh a few times to see if a proper time option for the ride pops up. No one forced you to book the 7pm SDD. Just like 60 day out FP+ if the ride doesn't have a time that fits your schedule, book something else.

Why do you try to defend a problem that shouldn't exsist so hard?

Ayla

Are we pretending that FP+ didn't also suck? (spoiler: it also had "drops")

Who the hell ever wanted to get up at 5am to book ride slot for the entire length of their vacation two months ahead of time? Oh, and then have Disney change park hours on you a few weeks later?

What a complete crapfest that was. And god help the folks that didn't engage in that outlandishly stupid exercise.

I've successfully used original FP, FP+, and now G+. They all pretty much suck. The only real difference between them all is that G+ costs $15 and people haven't grown acclimated to how to use it efficiently yet.

I'm still an advocate for no pre-booked anything. Standby or immediate use, demand priced ILL access only. If we are going to have to pay-to-play anyway just make it simple and honest.
There is zero comparison between FP+ and Genie+. FP+ was far superior, in all aspects.

Purduevian

Why do you try to defend a problem that shouldn't exsist so hard?
*exist
Also because I actually had a great experience using G+. I absolutely preferred FP+, but still had some issues with it. Some of those issues were solved by G+. I don't want to go back to FP+, I wish they would make a hybrid system between FP+ and G+ that took the best of both of them.

Reading some of the comments on here you would think G+ spawns the actual new Genie, takes $15, then smacks the S**t out of you.

People can and have had very good days using G+. I had a much better day with G+ than when there was no line skip system.

G00fyDad

*exist
Also because I actually had a great experience using G+. I absolutely preferred FP+, but still had some issues with it. Some of those issues were solved by G+. I don't want to go back to FP+, I wish they would make a hybrid system between FP+ and G+ that took the best of both of them.

Reading some of the comments on here you would think G+ spawns the actual new Genie, takes $15, then smacks the S**t out of you.

People can and have had very good days using G+. I had a much better day with G+ than when there was no line skip system.
Great visual! 🤣 🤣

Jeff4272

*exist

The fact you have to get up at 6:45am ruins all of it, even if you got 3 selections

and thats exactly what it does.....its assault, Disney version

Jeff4272

*exist

What do you like about Genie(-) that you would integrate into FP+?

MickeyLuv'r

Really? I don't think that's true.

Let's pick the Tuesday after Easter, 2019 as an example.

MK: 8:00 AM to Midnight
Epcot: 9 AM to 9 PM
DHS: 9 AM to 8:30 PM
AK: 9 AM to 9:30 PM

Total regular park hours: 52

Now let's look at today, the Tuesday after Easter:

MK: 9 AM to 11 PM
Epcot: 8:30 AM to 9 PM
DHS: 8 AM to 9 PM
AK: 7:30 AM to 8:30 PM

Total regular park hours: 52.5.

So, not really any difference in total number of hours, just distributed differently across the parks.

Now let's look at early entry. EMH in 2019 consisted of a one hour morning plus a two hour evening set of hours for each park, for a total of 12 hours.

Taking current morning ETPE, you get 30 minutes in every park every day. That equates to 14 hours of extra park time for all park guests per week - which is two hours more than *both* morning and evening EMH combined in. 2019. Add in the evening hours for deluxe and DVC, and you can argue that the extra hours benefit gives more hours to all resort guests, and a lot more to deluxe and DVC.

So the narrative that park hours have been cut is patently false. You can say that hours have been cut at MK compared to prepandemic, at least for Easter Week. But you can't say that's the case across the board, as every other park has more hours in April of 2021 than they did in April of 2019.
You looked at ONE day and decided that = all WDW park hours?

You are partly correct: Park hours in 2019 were already somewhat reduced from prior years.

But you are forgetting that in 2019 the parks actually opened half an hour before the posted opening time, so that's another 14 hours/week.

On top of that, Easter week in particular had bonus EMH. In 2017, Easter week had 18 hours of EMH (2019 had 10EMH. they were: AM: HS, AK, Epcot, MK, AK, HS and 2 PM offerings: MK and Epcot)

Looking at full week of Easter 2017:

MK: 9-11, 8-11, 8-12, 9-9, 8-12, 8-12, 8-11 and 8EMH hours (5AM EMH days and 3hours of PM)
Epcot: 9-9, and 7EMH (1AM, and 6hours of PM EMH)
HS: 9-9, and 2EMH (2 AM EMH)
AK: 9-8:30 and 1EMH (1 AM)

Even if I use your metric of just the Tues after Easter:
MK: 8-12 +1EMH = 16+1 +.5
Epcot: 9-9 + 3EMH =12 +1 +.5
HS: 9-9 = 12 +.5
AK: 9-8:30 = 11.5 + .5

Is a total of 51.5hours plus another 4EMH plus 30min unannounced = 57.5 total park hours on that 1 day.

Purduevian

What do you like about Genie(-) that you would integrate into FP+?
I like that booking is NOT 60 days out. (wish you could book your first LL for each day 7 days out for every day of your vacation)
-60 days is just too far out for me. I don't even know if I'm going to disney until like a month out sometimes
I like that booking is 1 at a time, allowing you to go with the flow more
-Booking all 3 had its advantages, but also I felt like I was micromanaging way too much before I got there. 1 prebook sounds good to me
I like that you can book another LL 2 hours after you last booked, regardless of when you actually booked the LL
-with FP+ the only time you could book your next FP was after tapping in. Making later FPs basically useless as it locked you out of the system until then.
I like that G+ has no onsite advantage (ILL excluding)
-This allowed me to save money and stay offsite for the first time ever

Things I really miss
-modify button
-prebooking at least the first one, i don't like getting up at 7am every day.
-free

Things I feel like are the same
-My phone time
-crossing the park randomly
-availability of attractions
-I always took the earliest FP+ available, so only being able to book the nearest time slot doesn't affect me

MickeyLuv'r

Looking at 2015:
MK: 8-1am and AM EMH - every day Easter week +.5 early 119 reg +7EMH hours +2.5 unofficial park hours
Epcot: 9-9, plus 5 EMH hours =84 +5EMH + 2.5
HS: 8-9:30 plus 7EMH = 94.5 +7EMH +2.5
AK: 8-7, 8-7, 8-8, 8-8, 8-8, 8-8, 8-7= 81 + 3EMH +2.5

The one Tues after Easter WDW was open 54.5 regular park hours, plus 2EMH plus 2 unofficial park hours = a whopping 58.5park hours.

It was possible to be in a park for 17.5 park hours per day, every day of Easter week 2015: Pre-opening at 7:30am until 1am closing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom