Death at Icon Park accident

natatomic

We were at a park yesterday, and a very large man was trying to board a coaster. They couldn’t get the harness to secure, and he became belligerent about it. They did everything they could to make it work. He even changed seats, took off his sweatshirt, and sucked in the gut. They thought they had it, and cleared for launch, but his seat flashed red.

He caused a +5 minute delay, and the crowd was urging him to just move on, it wasn’t safe, etc. He told the crowd, at least I’ll die doing what I love. The ride operators pushed and got it to latch.

All this to say, operators are afraid to kick some people off. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

When I worked at Everest - this was maybe 10 years ago - an adult man with dwarfism (is that the PC term? I don’t mean to offend) wasn’t tall enough to ride. He threw a fit just from being asked to be measured. But he threw an even bigger fit when he was told no. He demanded to speak to a manager. Thankfully, the manager knew what he was doing (he was a former ambassador at that), knew that safety trumps all, and correctly told him no, in the most polite way possible. I think he offered him FPs for another ride, but the man wouldn’t hear it.
He came back later in the day, demanded to speak to the manager again - but it was a different manager this time. The cast told her ahead of time the previous manager already told him no. She didn’t care. Said it was discrimination. She backdoored the man and let him ride.
Obviously a ride like Everest with zero air time wasn’t a similar danger like this drop tower, and the man was fine (you would have heard on the news otherwise). And in the drop tower instance, I don’t think this kid had complained of discrimination on the other rides, so don’t misunderstand my point. I do think that some people ARE afraid to say no, for fear of accusations of discrimination, or maybe even out of sincere (though misguided) efforts to be inclusive.

In this case though, I still think the bulk of the training the ride ops get are “is the light indicator for the restraint on?” If it is, go for launch. Can you imagine if the harness clicked on a guest, the light was on indicating it was locked, but then the rider was denied being allowed to stay on because the ride operator said “it doesn’t LOOK safe?” “Looking safe” is incredibly subjective and can vary from op to op. How does one measure safety by look when all other ride indicators say it’s fine? No, if it’s not safe, the harness shouldn’t even LOCK in place. That first click shouldn’t happen until it is at the first position that allows absolute safety.

FettFan

I would have thought stripping would bring in better money than selling t shirts.

fc75406a-f339-494b-b79f-08f8fa263c23.19189f1b89bd847abe466af187bd7538.jpeg

mergatroid

Original Poster
and it just keeps on going
Imagine having to deal with the death of a son and all that going on as well, the poor family.

some other guy

dang, beat me to it

Attachments

• Quest Engineering and Failure Analysis Field Investigation Report.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 110

Disney Analyst

It's also being discussed online, seems like someone tried to create a more accessible seat, but did not add any additional safety measures for that seat. Possibly the operator/owner, and the ride OPS were trained to direct bigger guests to that seat?

Gringrinngghost

It's also being discussed online, seems like someone tried to create a more accessible seat, but did not add any additional safety measures for that seat. Possibly the operator/owner, and the ride OPS were trained to direct bigger guests to that seat?

This has been something the press, WESH particularly has been looking into for weeks. There has been some back room talks about this as well with some of those in the Industry here on Orlando on the same matter, until today, it was treated as a rumor.

Gringrinngghost

dang, beat me to it
To make the more important photos easier to look at.
2022-04-18 15_17_09-Quest Engineering and Failure Analysis Field Investigation Report.pdf - Ad...png
2022-04-18 15_16_54-C__Users_james_Downloads_Orlando Drop Tower (4).zip_.png

Disstevefan1

Obviously, this adjustment to the sensor should have never been made. Whoever did this is responsible.

The design can also be faulted. The adjustment should have NEVER been accessible to anyone with the right allen key!
There should have been a proprietary head on that bolt that could only be adjusted with a special tool.

And although it's easy to say after the fact, these bolts should have regularly inspected, painted with loctite so any tampering could be easily seen.

Vegas Disney Fan

Obviously, this adjustment to the sensor should have never been made. Whoever did this is responsible.

The design can also be faulted. The adjustment should have NEVER been accessible to anyone with the right allen key!
There should have been a proprietary head on that bolt that could only be adjusted with a special tool.

And although it's easy to say after the fact, these bolts should have regularly inspected, painted with loctite so any tampering could be easily seen.
This also creates a problem because sensors need to be easily replaceable by maintenance to ensure the ride stays safe and operable.

I won’t argue it couldn’t be built better but this is 99% a maintenance issue, had they followed the manual this never would have happened.

Disney Analyst

This also creates a problem because sensors need to be easily replaceable by maintenance to ensure the ride stays safe and operable.

I won’t argue it couldn’t be built better but this is 99% a maintenance issue, had they followed the manual this never would have happened.

This had to be intentional, with an outcome the operator did not expect.

They are on record with media stating that there was no weight limit, there was only one seat modified, and this is the same seat the bigger guest was placed who then very sadly was killed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom