Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I hesitate to critique this too much because it seems incomplete without the pre-show experience. But to your point, nothing about this early response sounds like this is a game-changer, especially when you consider those who’ve experienced it so far - CMs - would be the types already really inclined to drink the Kool-Aid.
From the people I have spoken to who I trust to give accurate reports, it is somewhat of a game changer. The physical ride experience is something quite special. I'm very confident that its going to be a massive hit. Just a shame its based on an IP that doesn't belong in EPCOT. Give it an original story and it could have been even better.

Casper Gutman

There's been reviews saying the effects are superb etc, but it's all subjective. Some on this thread seem extremely negative about the ride or their expectations of it, that's their right to be like that. I think these people are unlikely to be satisfied with anything this ride offers as all their negativity hints towards them wanting to be right rather than them wanting to be proven wrong. I'm sure in the next few days you'll get all the specific answers you're after and then you'll be able to say with more accuracy what it is specifically that you dislike the most about this attraction. I could of course be wrong (apologies if so) and perhaps all the perceived negativity is because you're hoping it's the greatest attraction ever built?
You've played this game before and I don't really appreciate it. It tends to be your reaction to anyone trying to critically evaluate WDW.

I love MMRR. I think the RPG elements in the Starcruiser turned out much better then I expected (though that only heightens the frustration that a design element intended for the general public was locked behind an extortinate paywall). Heck, I'm the guy who thinks Dinoland was unfairly criticized.

I'll ask again - what are the visuals here? Are we dealing with generic starfields and projection mapping on one giant planet? Given that the plotline involves a planet-sized robot, one can imagine a cool coaster that involves zooming around a planet-sized robot. Maybe this does. But again, the lack of specific praise from the most positive audience imaginable is worrisome.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'll ask again - what are the visuals here? Are we dealing with generic starfields and projection mapping on one giant planet? Given that the plotline involves a planet-sized robot, one can imagine a cool coaster that involves zooming around a planet-sized robot. Maybe this does. But again, the lack of specific praise from the most positive audience imaginable is worrisome.
We are dealing with lighting and projections. The impressive part of the projection system is the size of the image and how it wraps around the ride system and follows the motion of the train.

As I said in the article, it isn't wow like Rise, but its very high on the fun scale. Its exactly what you want in a theme park experience for the vast majority of people. Every park needs at least on this type of ride, EPCOT finally has it.

mergatroid

You've played this game before and I don't really appreciate it. It tends to be your reaction to anyone trying to critically evaluate WDW.

I love MMRR. I think the RPG elements in the Starcruiser turned out much better then I expected (though that only heightens the frustration that a design element intended for the general public was locked behind an extortinate paywall). Heck, I'm the guy who thinks Dinoland was unfairly criticized.

We are dealing with lighting and projections. The impressive part of the projection system is the size of the image and how it wraps around the ride system and follows the motion of the train.

As I said in the article, it isn't wow like Rise, but its very high on the fun scale. Its exactly what you want in a theme park experience for the vast majority of people. Every park needs at least on this type of ride, EPCOT finally has it.
There you go, there's a lot of reviews saying similar if you look :cool:

mergatroid

It's not a game just a differing way of operating which I only do when I believe people are being unfair. There's so many on here being critical of stuff and 95% I read and don't comment on. Critically evaluating WDW involves knowing about the attraction that you're critiquing, we don't really have all that information yet to satisfy your standards. The owner of this very forum who is very reliable has stated multiple times on this thread how good reports from people he trusts and who've experienced it are. I too can't wait for videos of POV's etc to come out, at that stage we can judge it better and more fairly though rather than just saying it's a ride in a box over and over again?

Last edited:

mergatroid

This is from BlogMickey but may answer some of your questions as to what you see?

From the load area, the ride vehicles turn to a short lift hill. After the lift hill and before the backward launch, the ride enters a star field with an effect that was described as Space Mountain-esque, but much better. It’s in this first section of the ride that guests get their first look at Eson the Celestial. The Guardians fly towards Eson as rock music plays and Eson wonders where the sound is coming from. Star-Lord, who is played by Chris Pratt in the attraction, lets Eson know that you can’t stop Rock ‘n Roll as your ride vehicles settle in for the backward launch. It’s in this section of the ride that we get a little nod to the former Universe of Energy pavilion and Ellen’s Energy Adventure attraction when the characters make a remark about going back to the Big Bang. Characters seen in this section of the ride include Star-Lord (Chris Pratt), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Drax (Dave Bautista), and Rocket (not Bradley Cooper). Groot is not seen until later in the ride, and we’re told that he is not voiced by Vin Diesel.

In the early construction photo below, you can see the reverse launch track being installed. Guests will launch backward and upward into the massive gravity building where the majority of the ride takes place.

The projections of the Guardians of the Galaxy and Eson appear to disappear into the void as guests are sent back in time and into the massive show building. Vibrant, multicolored lights flash as you’re sent back through a jump point using the Universal Neural Teleportation Network. We’re told that the majority of the ride experience involves narrowly escaping from Eson as the ride vehicles go through jump points that look straight out of the movie.

In terms of ride motion, we’re told that you don’t spin as much as you might think. Instead, you are carefully turning throughout the ride to face show scenes, which mostly consist of projections. There are some physical sets including The Milky Way, Earth, and the Moon.

The jump points brightly light up as you approach and swirly, star-like lights are projected on the ride vehicle as you make your jump through space and time only to see Eson again and narrowly avoid the Celestial. This is the majority of the ride experience, all set to fun oldies music.

The ride includes a second launch about midway through, followed by a quick incline and then the ride’s biggest drop, which is described as being taller than Space Mountain’s biggest drop out at Disneyland, but not as steep.

The Nova Corps are called into action during the ride and show up with a fleet of Starblasters to help defeat Eson. Similar to how the Starblasters link together to form an energy barrier to attempt to stop the Dark Aster in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1, they also link together to cover Eson with their energy barrier.

Finally, riders go through another light tunnel as they return to the main show building. The ride ends with the Guardians of the Galaxy (now with Groot) showing up via hologram. They thank guests for helping out and welcoming us to the Guardians of the Galaxy team. Similar to the Guardians humor employed in Mission: BREAKOUT, Drax points out that we really didn’t do anything to help. This farewell message can differ in length based on how quickly unloading is happening up ahead.

gorillaball

You are easily "impressed" for $400 million dollars.

WDI thanks you for your low expectations.

Look another song!!! Wow. Is this a world-class attraction or a K-Tel album from 1982 bought at The Warehouse?

All kidding aside, from your posts, I assume you're 12 or so, so just kidding kid, enjoy the parks with your mom.
I've never gotten on a ride and asked how much it cost to set my expectations, maybe I'm in the minority.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why are people so obsessed with the cost?

I don’t care what a ride costs… it doesn’t affect whether or not I enjoy the ride in any way.

I never believe the reported prices anyway, Disney seems to throw out extremely high price tags on all their projects (likely to cover all the imagineering costs, etc) so for all we know that $400 million is really $100 million in physical costs and $300 million in accounting tricks.
Cost is just a “figurehead” for complaints in my opinion.

Nobody really cares about there costs - I never trust what they say anyway, as they actual costs are usually lowered/buried in the years that follow….

But people care about their rising prices…and about the replacements instead of adds (lower value)…and about 5 damn years to do anything…and about not delivering cutting edge stuff - which they have not done much with the exception of flight of passage (maybe?)

The slowing of these new rides because of the Vid situation was poor taste too. Like the people who spent their money (a lot more - actually) to go from 2020-2023 haven’t earned “the right” to go on these things that are/were delayed.

It’s a tangle of little frustrations coming out. Just my opinion.

Brer Oswald

Yikes.
To everyone who says, “who cares about the price? You’re not paying for it,” I am though. Each of us will, either in direct, passed on costs (in terms of higher ticket prices) or unrealized projects or refurbishments to other attractions.
The price absolutely does impact the future of the park and the admission prices we pay. It eats into the budget of other projects, which could help increase the capacity of the park and streamline the flow of people. So as an alternative, Disney will continue to increase the ticket prices to “manage capacity”. Not to mention, the lines for this one will be longer than they would if the park had more attractions.

I wouldn’t be as critical of it if it was half the budget. With what they paid, it should be groundbreaking, or a capacity monster, on top of it being a “fun ride”.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yikes.
To everyone who says, “who cares about the price? You’re not paying for it,” I am though. Each of us will, either in direct, passed on costs (in terms of higher ticket prices) or unrealized projects or refurbishments to other attractions.
Yep…there’s no counter argument to this if we all can do some “adulting” from time to time…

…I know…”heavy lift”

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The price absolutely does impact the future of the park and the admission prices we pay. It eats into the budget of other projects, which could help increase the capacity of the park and streamline the flow of people. So as an alternative, Disney will continue to increase the ticket prices to “manage capacity”. Not to mention, the lines for this one will be longer than they would if the park had more attractions.

I wouldn’t be as critical of it if it was half the budget. With what they paid, it should be groundbreaking, or a capacity monster, on top of it being a “fun ride”.
Further cost discussions is probably more appropriate for the other thread rather than updates about the ride-through itself...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This.

Wdw rides need to churn out 2500-3500 riders an hour…hell…probably more.

That’s why pirates and haunted mansion and splash and the original Epcot rides and movie ride were so big. It was a numbers game.

These new things don’t meet that criteria. They need to exceed it in realistic terms.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Further cost discussions is probably more appropriate for the other thread rather than updates about the ride-through itself...

We’ll still see the man behind the curtain there.

Tha Realest

Yes and no - the actual experience of this attraction relative to the claimed cost is relevant, no?

Tha Realest

I've never gotten on a ride and asked how much it cost to set my expectations, maybe I'm in the minority.
These things never happen in a vacuum.

There were entire parks and lands that were cancelled due to the poor performance (relative to cost) of Disneyland Paris.

Less money, and less ROI, means other things never get built.

The huge cost involved in this one attraction - and something like Galaxy's Edge - can also make Parks management and the board apprehensive at greenlighting another big attraction

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yes and no - the actual experience of this attraction relative to the claimed cost is relevant, no?
Well it is obvious people are going to continue to make this relevant no matter what...so I guess I will find a way to accept that.

Other should find a way to accept that, unless there is all of a sudden and complete 180, this attraction is going to be a hit. From what we know so far and by almost all accounts, they took full advantage of the ride system and the tech used to make a great all-around attraction for everyone to enjoy. Harping on the disappointment of the cost or the location won't change that now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom