Packing for 14 days (what to pack and what to pack it in)

KrzyKtty

Ok. So this is a two part question.

First, my family is going on a 14 day WDW trip this summer (late June). It is 2 adults and 2 children (13 and 9). We are flying even though we live in SC (got two free tickets from our CC). So the luggage we can bring is limited. I get to check at least 2 bags for free. So the plan was to bring two larger suitcases that we can check, and two smaller ones that can be put in overhead.

How many days would you pack for to minimize how much you need to bring while also trying to avoid spending every third day at the laundry service? I don't' want to waste all my resort days doing Laundry. However, packing 14 days worth of clothes for 4 people seems unrealistic (I'm not sure any of us own 14 days worth of clothes TBH). Also, considering how hot it is, re-using clothes seems unrealistic because they will get to sweaty. Thoughts? I was probably going to pick up compression cubes to help save space (have packing cubes, but they aren't compression).

Also, the two larger suitcases we are are old soft side (nylon?) suitcases with standard wheels. Are there any larger hard shelled suitcases that you recommend with 360 degree swivel wheels that don't cost an arm and a leg? We have two carry on size like that and they are so much easier to travel with.

Sbk1234

Since you have two free bags to check through, it shouldn't be too difficult. I'd have each person bring a carry on. In summer, you can get by with only shorts and T-shirts. These save a lot of space. Certain bags don't count for carry-ons, like medical bags, so if you qualify for any of these, you can use them to put extra stuff in, if you have the room. I do this with my C-pap bag. We check bags through almost never. Another good thing is your kids are old enough to help carry bags, so that will be a help.
If you don't mind spending the extra money, most hotels have laundry service, so you can pack less and do a load while you're there, although that's not my first choice, personally.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
When you say compression cubes, I assume you don’t mean the vacuum ones? Never travel with those - just in case TSA decide to open your cases.

As for what to pack. Make sure almost everything you pack is OK to be tumble dried. That way when you do the laundry you can get it all dried easily. It’s easy enough to put a load of laundry in, go and swim and then go back and put it in the drier. There’s even an app which will tell you when the machines are free and when they finish.

Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

Honestly, you might just want to plan some time every few days to do laundry. We usually go through 2 sets of clothes each day in summer at Disney since we swim in the afternoon and I'm not putting on sweaty clothes after I shower. I do what @nickys suggested and do the laundry while I swim. A few years ago, I would have never imagined doing laundry while on vacation and now I hate it if I don't have time to do laundry.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Thanks for the shout-out, @Tuvalu! I live for this kind of topic.

Here are my general suggestions, OP:

1 - You're right that packing for 14 days would be a pain! Do pack for one week instead of two, and plan to do laundry half-way through the trip. Just pencil it in for a day when you're in the mood to spend a couple of morning or afternoon hours lounging by pool, and you'll find it doesn't feel like too much of a chore. (If you're staying onsite, the laundry rooms tend to be near the pools, and you can conveniently monitor the progress of your laundry through an app.). Doing this will cut the number and size of the bags you have to lug around in half - not to mention the amount of laundry you'll have to do when you get back home.

2 - When I say "pack for one week," I'm assuming for each person: 7 warm-weather outfits, plus 2-3 extra shirts for sweatier days; underthings and socks; swimwear/rashguard; nightwear; 2 pairs of hiking sandals or flip-flops. Anything bulky or heavy - sweatshirt, jeans, sneakers, hats - should be worn on the plane. If you want to bring more clothing than that -- e.g., 2 outfits per day so people can change when it's hot -- you may have to consider packing for 5 days instead, and doing laundry twice, or bringing those bigger bags and checking them. *Tip: If your family, like mine, tends to own a lot of athleisure-style clothing in super-light, moisture-wicking, Under Armour-style tech fabrics, you'll find that all bets are off, and you may be able to fit at least double the number of outfits that you'd normally expect to be able to bring...

3 - For each person, 1 weeks' worth of clothing should fit into a standard 21" rolling carryon with room to spare - you shouldn't even need to check any bags unless you want to. I like to use packing cubes, color-coded for each family member (not compression bags: they'll wrinkle everything up, add tons of weight, and facilitate overpacking). There will be a little bit of space left in each person's bag (and quite a bit in your younger child's bag, as their clothes will be smaller!), which can be used for toiletries (don't forget to put liquids and gels in 3-1-1 bags if they're going in carryons), meds, and miscellaneous items like disposable rain ponchos, cooling towels, etc. (and of course a large fabric or mesh laundry bag, powdered detergent pods, dryer sheets, a bag of spring-loaded clothespins etc.), and breakfast items or snacks for the hotel room.

4 - Make the most of your "personal items" for the plane. You can each bring a tote, backpack or small duffel (or whatever you are planning to use for a park bag) with: wallets/purse, sunglasses, phones and chargers/power packs, earbuds, gum/chapstick, water bottle (fill it up after you're past airport security), comfort items for the kids, wet wipes, face masks (if needed), etc.

5 - Make out a packing list ahead of time, check it twice, and resist the urge to throw in extra things at the last minute.

6 - Unless you have a special need (e.g., I can't travel without my dandruff shampoo), don't pack anything that the hotel provides (towels, soap, pillows, shampoo/conditioner/body wash, coffee filter packs, etc.).

7 - If you're worried things won't fit, take a few minutes, a few days before you leave, and "practice-pack" your suitcase with the outfits you've selected. Since you already have packing cubes, I suggest using them -- either roll your clothes and place them in the cubes, or fold them using a folding board that is sized to match the packing cubes. (I made one with duct tape and an old cardboard box, which folds everything to the same dimensions as my packing cubes. It cuts my packing time in half or better, minimizes wrinkles, and has lasted for years!)

Instructable here, if anyone is interested:

Luggage recommendations: I tend to buy luggage that is decent quality but on the inexpensive side, so on the off chance something happens to it, I haven't lost a big investment. My current favorite bags -- both purchased at different times from ebay at a huge discount off of retail, because they were both unopened store returns -- are a 21" Delsey Helium Sky rolling fabric bag (it's a 2-wheel rollaboard: advantages are that you get extra space with 2 wheels instead of 4, the fabric has some "give" if you need to stuff it, and this particular make and model is really well-made and tough - I paid $80 for it), and when I feel like cruising with 4 wheels instead of 2 (with an attendant sacrifice of a couple of inches of space in the bag) or need to protect something fragile, a no-frills hard-sided 21" Coolife spinner, which cost me $50.

Of course, I am a little less concerned with my bags getting damaged than most people are, because we never check luggage. (I used to travel extensively for my job, and saw enough instances of lost/delayed/damaged luggage that I vowed to avoid it in the future). That way, my luggage stays with me, and I don't need to worry about it getting lost or handled roughly. Obviously your mileage may vary, and I realize that packing carryon-only isn't for everybody, but I can say that it's worked really well for my family of 4 in the 10 years we've been traveling together, starting when the kids were just 4 and 6, at a time when half their carryons were occupied by their "must-have" stuffed animals from home. ;) If you'd really rather pack those bigger bags and check them, no worries -- with 2 big bags and 2 carryons, you shouldn't have any trouble fitting at least a week's worth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
When you say compression cubes, I assume you don’t mean the vacuum ones? Never travel with those - just in case TSA decide to open your cases.

As for what to pack. Make sure almost everything you pack is OK to be tumble dried. That way when you do the laundry you can get it all dried easily. It’s easy enough to put a load of laundry in, go and swim and then go back and put it in the drier. There’s even an app which will tell you when the machines are free and when they finish.
No. The ones that compress with a second zipper.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member

1 - You're right that packing for 14 days would be a pain! Do pack for one week instead of two, and plan to do laundry half-way through the trip. Just pencil it in for a day when you're in the mood to spend a couple of morning or afternoon hours lounging by pool, and you'll find it doesn't feel like too much of a chore. (If you're staying onsite, the laundry rooms tend to be near the pools, and you can conveniently monitor the progress of your laundry through an app.). Doing this will cut the number and size of the bags you have to lug around in half - not to mention the amount of laundry you'll have to do when you get back home.

2 - When I say "pack for one week," I'm assuming for each person: 7 warm-weather outfits, plus 2-3 extra shirts for sweatier days; underthings and socks; swimwear/rashguard; nightwear; 2 pairs of hiking sandals or flip-flops. Anything bulky or heavy - sweatshirt, jeans, sneakers, hats - should be worn on the plane. If you want to bring more clothing than that -- e.g., 2 outfits per day so people can change when it's hot -- you may have to consider packing for 5 days instead, and doing laundry twice, or bringing those bigger bags and checking them. *Tip: If your family, like mine, tends to own a lot of athleisure-style clothing in super-light, moisture-wicking, Under Armour-style tech fabrics, you'll find that all bets are off, and you may be able to fit at least double the number of outfits that you'd normally expect to be able to bring...

3 - For each person, 1 weeks' worth of clothing should fit into a standard 21" rolling carryon with room to spare - you shouldn't even need to check any bags unless you want to. I like to use packing cubes, color-coded for each family member (not compression bags: they'll wrinkle everything up, add tons of weight, and facilitate overpacking). There will be a little bit of space left in each person's bag (and quite a bit in your younger child's bag, as their clothes will be smaller!), which can be used for toiletries (don't forget to put liquids and gels in a 3-1-1 bag), meds, and miscellaneous items like disposable rain ponchos, cooling towels, etc. (and of course a large fabric or mesh laundry bag, powdered detergent pods, dryer sheets, a bag of spring-loaded clothespins etc.), and breakfast items or snacks for the hotel room.

4 - Make the most of your "personal items" for the plane. You can each bring a tote, backpack or small duffel (or whatever you are planning to use for a park bag) with: wallets/purse, sunglasses, phones and chargers/power packs, earbuds, gum/chapstick, water bottle (fill it up after you're past airport security), comfort items for the kids, wet wipes, face masks (if needed), etc.

5 - Make out a packing list ahead of time, check it twice, and resist the urge to throw in extra things at the last minute.

6 - Unless you have a special need (e.g., I can't travel without my dandruff shampoo), don't pack anything that the hotel provides (towels, soap, pillows, shampoo/conditioner/body wash, coffee filter packs, etc.).

7 - If you're worried things won't fit, take a few minutes, a few days before you leave, and "practice-pack" your suitcase with the outfits you've selected. Since you already have packing cubes, I suggest using them -- either roll your clothes and place them in the cubes, or fold them using a folding board that is sized to match the packing cubes. (I made one with duct tape and an old cardboard box, which folds everything to the same dimensions as my packing cubes. It cuts my packing time in half or better, minimizes wrinkles, and has lasted for years!)

Luggage recommendations: I tend to buy luggage that is decent quality but on the inexpensive side, so on the off chance something happens to it, I haven't lost a big investment. My current favorite bags -- both purchased at different times from ebay at a huge discount off of retail, because they were both unopened store returns -- are a 21" Delsey Helium Sky rolling fabric bag (it's a 2-wheel rollaboard: advantages are that you get extra space with 2 wheels instead of 4, the fabric has some "give" if you need to stuff it, and this particular make and model is really well-made and tough - I paid $80 for it), and when I feel like cruising with 4 wheels instead of 2 (with an attendant sacrifice of a couple of inches of space in the bag) or need to protect something fragile, a no-frills hard-sided 21" Coolife spinner, which cost me $50.

Of course, I am a little less concerned with my bags getting damaged than most people are, because we never check luggage. (I used to travel extensively for my job, and saw enough instances of lost/delayed/damaged luggage that I vowed to avoid it in the future). That way, my luggage stays with me, and I don't need to worry about it getting lost or handled roughly. Obviously your mileage may vary, and I realize that packing carryon-only isn't for everybody, but I can say that it's worked really well for my family of 4 in the 10 years we've been traveling together, starting when the kids were just 4 and 6, at a time when half their carryons were occupied by their "must-have" stuffed animals from home. ;) If you'd really rather pack those bigger bags and check them, no worries -- with 2 big bags and 2 carryons, you shouldn't have any trouble fitting at least a week's worth.

When you say a “standard 21” rolling carry-on, what are you referring to? An overnight travel type bag or a suitcase? If I roll up 7 tees plus underwear I barely have room in a typical carry-on travel bag for anything else, let alone shorts or trousers. Which makes me think there’s a misunderstanding on my part!

I guess coming from the U.K. we have extra stuff ……. maybe. For a start none of my family can bear flip flops so sneakers it is, which take up room. Plus if we’re going to be dining anywhere nice I’m going to need a dress plus shoes, DH would need a collared shirt etc.

Then there’s toiletries and sun cream by the gallon. Plus brimmed sun hats. Plus things like clothes pegs and adapter plugs, medication and a gazillion cables.

Oh and the empty case for souvenirs! 😂😂

However hard I try we end up with 2-3 medium checked cases and a duffel bag with shoes and toiletries for the 4 of us. Plus a carry-on each: a camera bag, a laptop bag (which also takes all the cables and medication), an overnight bag with spare outfit, swim wear for everyone (in case of missing cases) and a bag for the actual journey (books, snacks, water etc).

Upvote 0

yensid1967

For a week trip, I usually pack enough clothes for 4 days, do laundry on the 3rd and last night before returning home...no sense in having dirty clothe when you get back home! Packing this way I can get my weeks worth of clothes in a carry on!
I would suggest as the post before...pack for a week do laundry and then do laundry the night before you check out!!

Don't forget: ROLL YOU CLOTHES! This will make more room for extra things!

Upvote 0

KrzyKtty

Original Poster

3 - For each person, 1 weeks' worth of clothing should fit into a standard 21" rolling carryon with room to spare - you shouldn't even need to check any bags unless you want to. I like to use packing cubes, color-coded for each family member (not compression bags: they'll wrinkle everything up, add tons of weight, and facilitate overpacking). There will be a little bit of space left in each person's bag (and quite a bit in your younger child's bag, as their clothes will be smaller!), which can be used for toiletries (don't forget to put liquids and gels in 3-1-1 bags if they're going in carryons), meds, and miscellaneous items like disposable rain ponchos, cooling towels, etc. (and of course a large fabric or mesh laundry bag, powdered detergent pods, dryer sheets, a bag of spring-loaded clothespins etc.), and breakfast items or snacks for the hotel room.

Thank you. This is a treasure of information. We do have a couple of really good carry on sized bags. I just figured I would need at least 2 larger bags considering the length of the trip and trying to bring home souvenirs souvenirs. But maybe I'd do better to just ship them home.

I was already planning on not bringing shampoos, Amand similar items since the hotel supplies them. Granted I do have to see if the BC resort and the Poly resort have the newer large shampoo bottles in the shower or just a small sample's still. My daughter and I have a lot of hair and can go through one of the samples every time we wash our hair 🤣.

Me and the children tend to have later lighter weight clothing that is easier to pack. My husband ironically tends to be the one that has issues fitting in smaller suitcases. The only time he will wear shorts is when we are at a theme park. Even then it tends to be heavier golf shorts. And then he wears a white undershirt with a short sleeve over shirt on top of that. Likely I have gotten pretty good at saving space by rolling his clothing.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

When you say a “standard 21” rolling carry-on, what are you referring to? An overnight travel type bag or a suitcase? If I roll up 7 tees plus underwear I barely have room in a typical carry-on travel bag for anything else, let alone shorts or trousers. Which makes me think there’s a misunderstanding on my part!
I think what you might be thinking of is a "weekender"-sized bag, which I would consider to be the kind of thing one would take on the plane as a "personal item," and place under the seat in front of them.

What I was referring to is a standard-size rolling carryon suitcase, usually in the neighborhood of 21"x14"x8", give or take an inch here or there. It's within the maximums for most domestic carriers in the U.S. for carryon luggage that will fit in an overhead bin. They can hold quite a bit.

As an example, here's a photo of what I packed in a 21" suitcase (the Delsey model I described in my earlier post) for a 10-day visit to Scotland in the fall. I had one laundry stop planned in the middle of the trip and one night I needed to "dress up," so I planned for 6 outfits, total. I had 2 medium packing cubes with about 3 long-sleeved tops and 2 pairs of pants each, 1 slim packing cube with a nightshirt, underwear, long underwear, and washcloth, 1 slim packing cube with "miscellaneous" things like my phone charger, plug adapter, and some gifts for a friend I was meeting with, 1 pair of slip-on shoes (stuffed with my socks), a folded laundry bag with detergent pods, a foldable tote bag (for souvenirs on the way home) a 3-1-1 bag, and my toiletry case (the big, flat red case strapped to the lid). The black hobo purse was my "personal item" for the plane (in fact, I could have taken a personal item 3 times its size, but I didn't need the space), and had my wallet, documents, phone and charger, a mini-umbrella, a book, a pashmina scarf and hat, and a couple of granola bars. I've used this same suitcase and hobo purse for Disney trips as well: given that I'm packing much lighter clothing for Orlando than I did for Scotland (and don't need to pack things like washcloths, electrical adapters and gifts), it can hold much more clothing when I'm Florida-bound.

20170923_113850.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
I think what you might be thinking of is a "weekender"-sized bag, which I would consider to be the kind of thing one would take on the plane as a "personal item," and place under the seat in front of them.

What I was referring to is a standard-size rolling carryon suitcase, usually in the neighborhood of 21"x14"x8", give or take an inch here or there. It's within the maximums for most domestic carriers in the U.S. for carryon luggage that will fit in an overhead bin. They can hold quite a bit.

As an example, here's a photo of what I packed in a 21" suitcase (the Delsey model I described in my earlier post) for a 10-day visit to Scotland in the fall. I had one laundry stop planned in the middle of the trip and one night I needed to "dress up," so I planned for 6 outfits, total. I had 2 medium packing cubes with about 3 tops and 2 pants each, 1 slim packing cube with a nightshirt, underwear, long underwear, and washcloth, 1 slim packing cube with "miscellaneous" things like my phone charger, plug adapter, and some gifts for a friend I was meeting with, 1 pair of slip-on shoes (stuffed with my socks), a folded laundry bag with detergent pods, a foldable tote bag (for souvenirs on the way home) a 3-1-1 bag, and my toiletry case (the big, flat red case strapped to the lid). The black hobo purse was my "personal item" for the plane (in fact, I could have taken a personal item 3 times its size, but I didn't need the space), and had my wallet, documents, phone and charger, a book, a pashmina scarf and hat, and a couple of granola bars. I've used this same suitcase and hobo purse for Disney trips as well: given that I'm packing much lighter clothing for Orlando than I did for Scotland (and don't need to pack things like washcloths, electrical adapters and gifts), it can hold much more clothing when I'm Florida-bound.

View attachment 629464
I am impressed.

And also amazed you ventured over here in the Fall seemingly without a spare pair of boots (for when the first pair got soaked), scarf, hat, gloves, big Parker jacket and three wool jumpers. By Fall I’m often wearing 3 layers out and about (like in the playground at school).

And most of all that you survived the plane journey with a couple of granola bars. You must travel on an airline that serves decent food. 😉

Upvote 0

yensid1967

If you are traveling from SC, I know airplane is your mode, but check into AMTRAK! Something different than flying, more adventure and you don't have to go through TSA or scanning!

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I often even in the heat of summer re wear bottoms.

For 14 days I'd bring probably 4-5 pairs of shorts and rewear a couple of them (I find jean shorts to be most rewearable.)
I'd bring about 8 tops.

You can probably get away with laundry just one day.

Packing cubes can be great for organization but I've found they don't really save space and the compression ones tend to end up being odd shapes and wrinkle my clothes.

I also find soft sided suitcases to be better than hard sided. They are more flexible and tend to be lighter weight when empty which means you can load them up more before you hit the weight limit.

Also be sure to do your math. You said you have 2 free tickets... how much will those other 2 tickets cost you.
Is it worth the4 hassle of the airport and worries about your luggage situation or would it be more worth it to just pack up the car.

While my sister and I love flying for the sake of getting there and home quickly we are actually considering driving from the Buffalo NY area this summer. (growing up we always drove so no big deal to do so)

Upvote 0

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
I often even in the heat of summer re wear bottoms.

For 14 days I'd bring probably 4-5 pairs of shorts and rewear a couple of them (I find jean shorts to be most rewearable.)
I'd bring about 8 tops.

You can probably get away with laundry just one day.

Packing cubes can be great for organization but I've found they don't really save space and the compression ones tend to end up being odd shapes and wrinkle my clothes.

I also find soft sided suitcases to be better than hard sided. They are more flexible and tend to be lighter weight when empty which means you can load them up more before you hit the weight limit.

Also be sure to do your math. You said you have 2 free tickets... how much will those other 2 tickets cost you.
Is it worth the4 hassle of the airport and worries about your luggage situation or would it be more worth it to just pack up the car.

While my sister and I love flying for the sake of getting there and home quickly we are actually considering driving from the Buffalo NY area this summer. (growing up we always drove so no big deal to do so)
The airplane tickets are already purchased and we already used the 2 free ones. They were use it or lose it and I wasn't planning on just letting them get thrown away. We also bought our tickets many many months ago when the prices were very cheap.😁 We got a good enough deal on the tickets where it would have cost just as much money for the ridiculous Disney parking fees these days over a 14 day period at a Deluxe resort. Especially now when you add on the price of gas. And while I very much love my S UV, mama I wouldn't say it gets the best gas mileage. And fill up and fill ups right now really hurt 🤣.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

@Weather_Lady So in your opinion, these are worse than normal packing cubes?
I personally think they increase wrinkles and because they condense things, your bag gets heavier more quickly. However, if that's what it takes to make your items fit, go for it. 🙂 (Plus, it's likely to be hot and humid during your visit, so any wrinkles may work themselves out just by you wearing things outdoors! You'll basically be walking around in a giant steamer.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I am impressed.

And also amazed you ventured over here in the Fall seemingly without a spare pair of boots (for when the first pair got soaked), scarf, hat, gloves, big Parker jacket and three wool jumpers. By Fall I’m often wearing 3 layers out and about (like in the playground at school).

And most of all that you survived the plane journey with a couple of granola bars. You must travel on an airline that serves decent food. 😉
LOL, thank you!

For what it's worth, I had a scarf and hat which I kept in my hobo bag until we landed, but I wore most of what you describe -- waterproof hiking shoes, waterproof insulated rain/snow coat, a warm wool sweater layered over a long-sleeved top, etc. -- on the plane. After a short flight to New York City from upstate, we had an overnight, red-eye flight from New York to Edinburgh (Aer Lingus, maybe?) that served a small breakfast -- muffin and juice -- in the morning, so I didn't need much in terms of food, and of course, once we arrived, we were so jet-lagged that our stomachs took hours to catch up and feel hungry... by which point, we'd rented a car, managed to drive it safely on the correct side of the road all the way to Dumfriesshire, and were tucking into cheese toasties and beers in the town of Moffat, ancestral home of my husband's great-grandmother, Mabel Moffatt. It was a beautiful day -- the first of many on that trip. Yours is a gorgeous country! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NelleBelle

I love packing cubes from eBags...I can get at least 1-week's worth of clothing packed and usually if we take our biggest bag, I can pack both my DH and I in one bag. We have 2-sets of Traveler's choice luggage (love that they nest when we aren't using them so they take up less space) and we've had them for almost 10 years and everything still works great on them
1648837250458.png

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom