Packing for 14 days (what to pack and what to pack it in)

KrzyKtty

Ok. So this is a two part question.

First, my family is going on a 14 day WDW trip this summer (late June). It is 2 adults and 2 children (13 and 9). We are flying even though we live in SC (got two free tickets from our CC). So the luggage we can bring is limited. I get to check at least 2 bags for free. So the plan was to bring two larger suitcases that we can check, and two smaller ones that can be put in overhead.

How many days would you pack for to minimize how much you need to bring while also trying to avoid spending every third day at the laundry service? I don't' want to waste all my resort days doing Laundry. However, packing 14 days worth of clothes for 4 people seems unrealistic (I'm not sure any of us own 14 days worth of clothes TBH). Also, considering how hot it is, re-using clothes seems unrealistic because they will get to sweaty. Thoughts? I was probably going to pick up compression cubes to help save space (have packing cubes, but they aren't compression).

Also, the two larger suitcases we are are old soft side (nylon?) suitcases with standard wheels. Are there any larger hard shelled suitcases that you recommend with 360 degree swivel wheels that don't cost an arm and a leg? We have two carry on size like that and they are so much easier to travel with.

NelleBelle

I need to make sure leave room for bringing back shopping from WDW. Last year I didn't leave that much room and ended up having to go to Vera Bradley and buy a big weekender bag to bring back my haul 🤦‍♀️

Upvote 0

SamandplanningUK

We are from the UK and go for 14 days every time, thoroughly recommend large suitcases, in bright colours so they are easy to spot on the luggage carousel.
We use packing cubes, also tips like stuffing socks into packed shoes/sneakers (trainers to us!) and rolling your clothes helps fit more.
We to take enough for about 10 days then do some washing, it gives you some nice leeway on when you can do laundry, I prefer to do it near the end of the holiday when the keenness to get out to the parks has relaxed a bit and you feel you have more time on your hands.
Personally I'm taking 6 pairs of shorts/10 tops (I'm a spiller!) and 4 dresses. I find the heaviest and most annoying stuff to pack is all the toiletries, they really add up in weight in your suitcase!

Upvote 0

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
We are from the UK and go for 14 days every time, thoroughly recommend large suitcases, in bright colours so they are easy to spot on the luggage carousel.
We use packing cubes, also tips like stuffing socks into packed shoes/sneakers (trainers to us!) and rolling your clothes helps fit more.
We to take enough for about 10 days then do some washing, it gives you some nice leeway on when you can do laundry, I prefer to do it near the end of the holiday when the keenness to get out to the parks has relaxed a bit and you feel you have more time on your hands.
Personally I'm taking 6 pairs of shorts/10 tops (I'm a spiller!) and 4 dresses. I find the heaviest and most annoying stuff to pack is all the toiletries, they really add up in weight in your suitcase!
Thank you. This helps a lot. I was trying to figure out how many days were at the close I should really bring. Most of our pool days are either at the beginning half or end half of our trip. So 10 days might just be perfect.

Upvote 0
I agree with the packing for 7 days. I can pack for 10 days in an Eddie Bauer 21" carryon. I use the Eagle Creek Translucent Specter Pack-It Compression bags. They are a little pricey from when I bought them. I got them from Sierra Trading Post for about $16 for 2. If you travel a lot it's worth it to not have to check bags. It's probably going to be pretty hot so we bring 2 shirts for each day and a couple of extra pairs of shorts. Dry-fit material/moisture wicking material helps a lot in both comfort, washing and packing space. I also pack an empty nylon bag to use to bring home my extra purchases or maybe buy the reusable 50th anniversary shopping bag - double prizes, souvenir and bag. Also, they will ship items to your house for a small fee. We had a weird shaped picture frame and Epcot topped tumbler mailed home for $10 - my AP discount helped offset that fee and the hassle of trying to figure out how to get it home.

Upvote 0

Indy_UK

Sorry to hijack but I have a really bizzare and specific question.

Flying in from the UK, am I allowed to bring a box of my own washing powder rather than buying the small boxes at Disney?

Upvote 0

Sbk1234

Flying in from the UK, am I allowed to bring a box of my own washing powder rather than buying the small boxes at Disney?
Honestly, I’d direct that question to the airlines. Disney won’t care what you bring, but the only restrictions I can think of would be what you’re allowed to fly with.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member

I think that’s OK if it’s in a checked bag. I would take it in an unopened box.

Upvote 0

Indy_UK

Thank you. I thought that was the case.

Its the same with the Cooler blocks that you can freeze. I think they are allowed as long as its in the main checked luggage

Upvote 0

DfromATX

I would pack one full week's worth of clothes and plan do laundry once. I would also plan to change clothes twice a day - at least that's what we do. We usually go back to the hotel to rest and freshen up and I usually feel pretty gross by then. Also, unless you are planning on eating somewhere really nice, don't bother bringing nice clothes. Dress for comfort - shorts and t-shirts - and those take up a lot less space. Personally, for a two week trip, I'd have to bring a check-in bag, but that's just me. We went for a short 4 day trip last time and I could barely fit everything into my carry-on.

Upvote 0

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
So we hired a Towncar that gives us the opportunity to pick up things from a grocery store. So I was thinking of using Instacart at the Publix listed on the company's website for the grocery stop.

I was thinking of buying the following there to save us the room in packing:
Sunscreen
Clothes Soap
Small snacks (Granola bars and such for rope drop)

Should I bother with bottle water if we are getting the resort mugs?

Anything else I should look at requesting?

Upvote 0

Patcheslee

So we hired a Towncar that gives us the opportunity to pick up things from a grocery store. So I was thinking of using Instacart at the Publix listed on the company's website for the grocery stop.

I was thinking of buying the following there to save us the room in packing:
Sunscreen
Clothes Soap
Small snacks (Granola bars and such for rope drop)

Should I bother with bottle water if we are getting the resort mugs?

Anything else I should look at requesting?
Aloe Vera, may turn out not to need it but always a good thing to have on hand.

Upvote 0

Kingoglow

I would plan on bringing enough underwear and socks to last for seven days+1 for each person and three shorts and five shirts each. Bring an extra set of shoes for everyone. Plan to wear the shorts and shirts several times. Do laundry once in the middle of the trip.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom