Disney and Gas Prices

Tha Realest

Original Poster
Much has been said of how, in past decades, spiking gas prices and shortages really tamped down WDW. We’re in the middle of a huge spike now, but it seems that hasn’t dampened the crowds or attendance (for now at least). Has Disney put itself in a place where it’s above those sorts of considerations? Or do we think the spikes/increases have happened so suddenly (and so close to already planned Spring Breaks and proximity to Covid revenge travel) that it was too late to factor in these increased costs?

Kamikaze

Much has been said of how, in past decades, spiking gas prices and shortages really tamped down WDW.
The last time gas was this high was 2008.

Attendance in 2008 was basically the same as the surrounding years.

Your supposition is incorrect.

Even the recession in 2009 didn't really bring down numbers, it more or less just held everything flat. The numbers don't bear out that the overall economy (outside of post-9/11 and COVID) really effects WDW to any major degree.

And if people are finally vacationing post COVID, I don't think paying an extra even $250 for gas to drive there and back is really going to effect their decisions. And for that extra $250 you can be driving over 2000 miles round trip even at 20mpg.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

If it has any effect, I think you might see it more during the summer, when people are more likely to drive long distances, and the airlines start accounting for the increased fuel cost in their ticket prices. Most of the people there now probably planned their trip and purchased their plane tickets prior to the oil price spike.

Of course, by the summer the higher prices might be blunted by the increased oil production that is currently ramping up.

Last edited:

ppete1975

Most people in the parks, had already reserved their trips before any of this happened. IF there is causation that would be in the summer... but with the demand we currently have. I doubt you will see an impact.

Lilofan

Less than a 5 min drive from Disney Springs on Apopka Vineland by the Hyatt Grand Cypress is a Shell station that is well know for gas price gouging. When I was at WDW gas was $3 per gallon nationwide and the Shell was selling gas at $5.50 per gallon.

Gillyanne

Plus its tax return season so people are itching to spend that money.

1647272195350.png

RememberWhen

My family is planning to drive from MA to Disney in August in our minivan. Gas prices would have to skyrocket for us to change that trip. Our December trip isn’t to disney, but is to Florida. I’m a little worried about the flights being higher than we can manage, especially since we’re traveling for the holidays. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Lilofan

My family is planning to drive from MA to Disney in August in our minivan. Gas prices would have to skyrocket for us to change that trip. Our December trip isn’t to disney, but is to Florida. I’m a little worried about the flights being higher than we can manage, especially since we’re traveling for the holidays. We’ll just have to wait and see.
Good luck trying to find an indoor place to eat off of I-95 going to FL from the Carolinas to FL. A number of places are drive thru only with limited hours and menu due to supply chain issues and staffing shortages. You can always crank the AC in your car and enjoy your food.

RememberWhen

Good luck trying to find an indoor place to eat off of I-95 going to FL from the Carolinas to FL. A number of places are drive thru only with limited hours and menu due to supply chain issues and staffing shortages.
We just did the drive in February, so we aren’t too worried. But thanks for the cautionary advice!

MickeyLuv'r

And if people are finally vacationing post COVID, I don't think paying an extra even $250 for gas to drive there and back is really going to effect their decisions. And for that extra $250 you can be driving over 2000 miles round trip even at 20mpg.
I assumed the poster meant high gas prices as it impacts a family's total budget, not just the portion they spend to visit WDW, as in the amount people spend to commute to work.

MickeyLuv'r

Gas prices aren't hitting those who drive electric cars. Hybrid, plug-in hybrid and EV's now = about 10% of the market.

Plus, many urban dwellers don't drive very much. Almost 9% of households don't even own a car.

On top of that, many workers are commuting less than they did in 2019. (work from home or hybrid)

MickeyLuv'r

Good luck trying to find an indoor place to eat off of I-95 going to FL from the Carolinas to FL. A number of places are drive thru only with limited hours and menu due to supply chain issues and staffing shortages. You can always crank the AC in your car and enjoy your food.
Or eat outdoors?

Dining outdoors is very popular in the summer.

MickeyLuv'r

In the South? lol Not that I've seen.
The person said they were driving from MA.

Outdoor dining is very popular in VA in summer, and every state north of VA. Google summer outdoor dining in Alexandria and Richmond.

For that matter, I have waited a good long time for an outdoor table in Savannnah GA in the summer.

And what are we talking, the time it takes to eat fast food?

If someone doesn't want to spend 10minutes outdoors in VA, then why would they go to WDW? That makes no sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom