Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
That's misinformation. Every day approx 2K ARS ( Agriculture Research Scientists ) work in the US and abroad doing their jobs. Kudos to these talented and highly educated individuals.
Considering the lack of masks, I would have assumed science was not consulted yesterday in California.

There is also a difference between science and scientists.

Kevin_W

To be fair I had never heard of these growing up. We have tornado sirens but nothing for lightning. If I hadn't been told about them and thunderstorm sirens I likely would have laughed as well. They do not exist in my neighborhood nor where I grew up. Oddly not too far from where I live has them so I've been told, but not common in my part. Again we have tornado sirens and lightning would just be lost on us. We know when to call games I guess and would confuse otherwise.

Fair enough - I had not heard of them either until having a daughter that plays soccer.

mmascari

To be fair I had never heard of these growing up.
Last year, our local soccer complex didn't have them, but the larger fancier one not far away did.
This year, the local place has one. There's maybe a dozen fields plus a bunch of baseball ones.
The local parks down the road with 1 or 2 fields don't have them.

Back when we grew up, you waited for the hair to stand up on your arm to know.

Which also means I know of people hit by lightning when I was in college. Through sport clubs, not an event I was at, but I could have been. I didn't know the impacted, but did know people at the event who were not as unlucky.

For those that may need better lightning information. Say you're sitting at the pool/golf course/ball field and want to check. This site is super useful: https://www.lightningmaps.org/

For instance, say you're working from home in an underground bunker with no windows while posting to Internet forums and want to know if the storm outside is bad or not. Also, please get me some coffee on your way down. ☕

drizgirl

The beach where we vacation has one. It really gets your attention, and the majority of people respond appropriately - but there are always a few who end up dashing off the beach at the last minute.

We knew someone who worked for NOAA who would always say, "If you hear thunder, you are at risk for lightning."
So what you're saying is that thunder is the original "lightning siren"?

mmascari

Same. I've never heard of them. Golf courses in WI have airhorns to suspend play, but not any kind of siren for the public. 🤷‍♀️
They're specific location type things, not some overall town wide type solutions.

Something like this:

Golf courses, soccer fields, other sport parks, pools, beaches. That type of thing. Obviously, there's a cost to setting up and maintaining them. So, it would depend on the need of a specific location.

These aren't like town wide volunteer fire department notification sirens. For towns that still have those.

maui2k7

This and more. The first strikes hit somewhere, time to start seeking shelter.
This weekend my daughter was scheduled to start the softball season. They begin with a parade around the fields with all 600 girls. It has started to rain a little just as the kids got on the field and many had umbrellas. Then -
big clap of thunder. The kids scattered like ants and all ran off the field immediately.

Needless to say opening day was cancelled. No lightning alarms in the Houston area.

Lilofan

The beach where we vacation has one. It really gets your attention, and the majority of people respond appropriately - but there are always a few who end up dashing off the beach at the last minute.

We knew someone who worked for NOAA who would always say, "If you hear thunder, you are at risk for lightning."
Was at DHS Fantasmic theatre with 8K fellow guests in full house outdoor stadium seating. Thunder occurred , from what I could see no one moved from their seats. At few minutes to showtime, the show was cancelled due to "weather". All of us, some verbally and visibly disgruntled exited the theatre and crowded onto Sunset Blvd.

correcaminos

They're specific location type things, not some overall town wide type solutions.

Something like this:

Golf courses, soccer fields, other sport parks, pools, beaches. That type of thing. Obviously, there's a cost to setting up and maintaining them. So, it would depend on the need of a specific location.

These aren't like town wide volunteer fire department notification sirens. For towns that still have those.
Most of our parks house the fields and such. For years our pools watch the weather closely. Maybe why I never heard of them until a few years ago. I think when you are very prone to lightning in areas where others are watching weather, you just get used to massive whistles being blown to get your attention. Still I knew they existed along with thunderstorm sirens that are for communities.

Heppenheimer

This is just an interesting article that puts in numbers how much better Canada has managed the pandemic than the US:

I'm not sure I completely buy the reasoning, though. From what I can see in the polling numbers, Canadians haven't stubbornly resisted vaccination and mitigation measures in nearly the amount we have in the US. Would better funding for access to regular health care have changed this resistance? I have no idea, but it doesn't seem that likely to overcome some of the specific cultural differences between the US and Canada.

Lilofan

This is just an interesting article that puts in numbers how much better Canada has managed the pandemic than the US:

I'm not sure I completely buy the reasoning, though. From what I can see in the polling numbers, Canadians haven't stubbornly resisted vaccination and mitigation measures in nearly the amount we have in the US. Would better funding for access to regular health care have changed this resistance? I have no idea, but it doesn't seem that likely to overcome some of the specific cultural differences between the US and Canada.
Cultural yes but socialized universal healthcare for all In Canada is what gives Canadians the edge.

Disney Glimpses

I don't consider this to be "similar" as the article quickly states and glazes past. The US is far and away the most obese/unhealthy wealthy country on Earth.

1644938504009.png

1644938276016.png

Last edited:

correcaminos

I wonder if overall health to start with is better in Canada than in the US. Like not as many comorbidities - and no for those who like to jump I am not just talking weight but the idea we might have more uncontrolled issues because not all can seek medical care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom