The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

MoonRakerSCM

Curious you took my practical world scenario, scaled it up to future currently unattainable setting, and regurgitated it.

You're comparing apples to oranges... quite foolishly I might add. Not sure why you're going off about asteroid mining... you're dreaming of the future and not focusing on the now. While you dreamily look into the night sky and long for a world with no borders... China is still destroying its environment mining materials for items you use on a daily if not hourly basis.

With that said though, we are quite actively advancing toward asteroid mining both government and private industry, it's very exciting I agree. Technology is advancing its way there and it is certainly a goal that is well known and being worked towards.

Now having said that... where do you expect all the resources to come from while we work on getting to sustainable asteroid mining?

Last edited:

MoonRakerSCM

The point is this along with other types of mining, digging, pumping, etc., of our natural resources is going to leave this country looking like a barren wasteland.
Mine reclamation must not be a thing eh? You completely missed my point... your mind is stuck way back in history with scary stories of evil companies and large rich men telling off Captain Planet... it's not like that at all anymore. I suggest you educate yourself sometime on modern mining industry.

So you're perfectly fine having china and other parts of the world ? Because that's what is happening.

We can sustain ourselves now and work for the future at the same time, they don't cancel one another out. There are enough people and scientists ;-) around to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mac Tonight

These are the kinds of debates I come to the Disney message boards for :) keep it up you guys!

I genuinely had no idea scientists were looking to harvest junk from space for our survival. Aren’t people looking into colonizing Mars too or was that just my recollection of the movie Total Recall?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You're comparing apples to oranges... quite foolishly I might add. Not sure why you're going off about asteroid mining... you're dreaming of the future and not focusing on the now. While you dreamily look into the night sky and long for a world with no borders... China is still destroying its environment mining materials for items you use on a daily if not hourly basis.

With that said though, we are quite actively advancing toward asteroid mining both government and private industry, it's very exciting I agree. Technology is advancing its way there and it is certainly a goal that is well known and being worked towards.

Now having said that... where do you expect all the resources to come from while we work on getting to sustainable asteroid mining?
I don't feel I am comparing apple and oranges, but whatever. I was moving the conversation along to my ultimate point, which is lets try to save this planet by stopping the mining, digging, pumping, etc. of our natural resources out of this planet in the medium to long term.

Now I'm not naive enough to think we can do this overnight, of course not. So yes in the meantime we'll have to continue using our natural resources. But there is a certain mindset among a lot of citizens about literally sucking this planet dry of its resources.

But I'm happy to hear that you appear to be on-board with asteroid mining. I just hope that means the flip-side which is to stop that same activity here on Earth once its sustainable.

Mine reclamation must not be a thing eh? You completely missed my point... your mind is stuck way back in history with scary stories of evil companies and large rich men telling off Captain Planet... it's not like that at all anymore. I suggest you educate yourself sometime on modern mining industry.
Care to share any specifics that you believe I should be looking into? I'm happy to learn, may not agree, but always happy to learn.

So you're perfectly fine having china and other parts of the world do the sh*tting while you eat? Because that's what is happening.
Never said that or even came close to claiming it, I think what they are doing is atrocious and should stop. When I talk about stopping mining, drilling, pumping and saving our planet I mean it, the whole planet not just the US.

We can sustain ourselves now and work for the future at the same time, they don't cancel one another out. There are enough people and scientists ;-) around to do so.

I agree, again wasn't stating its going to be overnight. Its going to take some time, never claimed otherwise.

Sailor310

I spent parts of my Air Force career in think tanks about reducing the cost per pound to orbit. I just looked up Elon Musk's numbers.

As advertised on the company’s Web site, a Falcon 9 launch costs an average of $57 million, which works out to less than $2,500 per pound to orbit.

Elon's done better than anybody at reducing the cost. Still, I think it will be some time before it's cost effective to do space mining.

MoonRakerSCM

Care to share any specifics that you believe I should be looking into? I'm happy to learn, may not agree, but always happy to learn.
Don't have to agree, just follow the science. Good starting point- https://www.osmre.gov/

My particular favorite little tidbit over the decades was the realization and determination that mines need to stockpile topsoil and then place that back last as a final cover of their sites. Mines were originally placing back any material they had and the ecosystems were not taking foot as the soils were undeveloped. That no longer happens FYI and has not for a while.

During my Christmas trip to South Dakota, I had some fun around the Wharf mine (open pit, gold). They had recently finished reclaiming an area and the trees are growing in quite well.

When I talk about stopping mining, drilling, pumping and saving our planet I mean it, the whole planet not just the US.
Again, while we're waiting for sustainable asteroid mining... well into the future... where do we get resources from? If you can't grow it, you have to mine it. You said you may not agree, but we can do it smartly and efficiently, scientists (including many friends/colleagues of mine) make it so.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Don't have to agree, just follow the science. Good starting point- https://www.osmre.gov/

My particular favorite little tidbit over the decades was the realization and determination that mines need to stockpile topsoil and then place that back last as a final cover of their sites. Mines were originally placing back any material they had and the ecosystems were not taking foot as the soils were undeveloped. That no longer happens FYI and has not for a while.

During my Christmas trip to South Dakota, I had some fun around the Wharf mine (open pit, gold). They had recently finished reclaiming an area and the trees are growing in quite well.

Again, while we're waiting for sustainable asteroid mining... well into the future... where do we get resources from? If you can't grow it, you have to mine it. You said you may not agree, but we can do it smartly and efficiently, scientists (including many friends/colleagues of mine) make it so.
You must have missed the part of my post where I agreed with you and said yes we have to continue in the short term.

Thanks for the information.

No Name

For some reason when I first watched Encanto, I guess I was just very tired because the ending… that Mirabel’s door is the door to the entire house… just totally flew over my head. Anyway I really liked the movie, and I found Frozen 2 lacking, so I’m glad Disney was able to deliver a solid musical here.

CaptinEO

For some reason when I first watched Encanto, I guess I was just very tired because the ending… that Mirabel’s door is the door to the entire house… just totally flew over my head. Anyway I really liked the movie, and I found Frozen 2 lacking, so I’m glad Disney was able to deliver a solid musical here.
I think it's one of the better Disney animated films in a long time and is a very solid movie! They kept the length short and tight which is perfect. An hour and a half is a great length for a movie.

The characters are all unique and dont overstay their welcome.

disneyC97

The shoulders of the previous generation.

This topic was brought up at a recent dinner party by a Black man about 70 years old, who commiserated that his young relatives and their young friends have somehow been led to believe that Black Americans were absent from mass media until the 2000's decade. And even more interesting, they see that as a direct response to Barack Obama being elected President in 2008, and they (as current Obama supporters) were directly responsible for what they see as the sudden ability for Black artists to appear in mass media in large numbers.

They apparently had no conscious knowledge of all the Black representation in American media of the mid to late 20th century; Nat King Cole, The Supremes, many integrated rock bands in the 60's and 70's, Julia sitcom, The Flip Wilson Show, Good Times, The Jefferson's, The Pointer Sisters, Gimme A Break, 227, The Cosby Show, In Living Color, and on and on.

I'm sure it's an exaggeration and a broad stereotype, but the man who brought it up had clearly had his own shocking experiences with that concept among his own young family members. There was something there.

40 years ago we didn't think of having The Pointer Sisters and Debbie Allen peform for Disneyland's 30th was any sort of "Inclusion" or "Equity" thing. We just thought they had great talent and a good beat you could dance to.

As a Disney obsessed 10 year old in 1985 who lived on the east coast and only been to WDW, I recorded this special and watched over and over. This, a few glimpses on the old weekly Disney series (which had ended by then), and Birnbaum’s guide was all the Disneyland info I could get…no google searches, coffee table books on Amazon, websites, etc.
Also, I haven’t seen this special in years, but didn’t Debbie Allen perform at least 3 versions of “Zip-a-dee-do-da?”

No Name

Disney+ in a lot of other countries has a 6th section called Star, with a lot of content from 20th Century and other miscellaneous corners of the company. I was pretty confused when I went to Italy recently and it just popped up on my account.

The reason it comes to mind is that I watched the original 5 Planet of the Apes movies this past week on HBO Max, and now I want to watch the 2001 one and the newer trilogy. They’re all on Disney+ in other counties, but not here! Might be time to get a VPN.

SplashJacket

Disney+ in a lot of other countries has a 6th section called Star, with a lot of content from 20th Century and other miscellaneous corners of the company. I was pretty confused when I went to Italy recently and it just popped up on my account.

The reason it comes to mind is that I watched the original 5 Planet of the Apes movies this past week on HBO Max, and now I want to watch the 2001 one and the newer trilogy. They’re all on Disney+ in other counties, but not here! Might be time to get a VPN.
In 2023 Disney will exercise its option to buy out Hulu, and then they'd merge their three domestic streaming platforms (ESPN+, Disney+, and Hulu) together as they have in the international markets.

eddie104

Wow some people are really showing their age in this thread. It’s great to have differences of opinion but when you start bringing up politics, religion or gender it’s start to get messy.

Whether a man was more masculine back in the 60s versus now is in my opinion a very silly futile discussion.

Are we seriously accusing the media of brainwashing people to accept homosexuality ?

If that’s case hasn’t Hollywood been doing the same in regards to having a house in the suburbs with a white picket fence with a dog and two kids ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom