News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

TrojanUSC

I can see Disney being more strict, but way back when I worked deliveries it seemed like all of the higher end hotels wouldn’t allow deliveries to the rooms. Despite that there was always the occasional “Hello, this is the front desk, your food is here…. Yes… It’s our policy… yes… im very sorry… yes… yes, I apologize, he’ll be right up.”

As someone who orders delivery a lot to nice hotels, its about 50/50 whether the drivers can come right to the room. More often than not the bellman can deliver it. It is rare that a guest has to go down to the lobby, but it is almost always the case at Disney. Particularly the case given that Disney's understaffed bell services leaves something to be desired. Your fresh warm pizza from Dominos will be a cold disc by the time it gets through the bell services queue and someone makes it to your room.

The other issue is that at Disney a lot of the access to the floors/buildings is restricted to guests with valid key cards/magic bands. For example a delivery driver at DAK can't just take the elevator to a room floor.

Obviously this is a non-issue at places like Pop or All Star Resorts where the rooms/stairwells are exposed.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What are the designated expansions pads?
Labeled 1 and 2...

1642597473178.png

matt9112

This is utter ridiculousness. We've been through this with the ramp guy.

Disney also says their park is a Magic Kingdom and it's neither magical, because magic doesn't exist, nor is it a land governed by a monarchy.

The stretch here to land an Disney-hater blow by purposely taking words to their literal extreme for a make-believe event ranks among the top ten dumb posts I've seen.

But let me tell you something: When you go to Epcot, you don't actually visit France or Italy.

Sir are you looking for an argument?

Well do you want the full argument or were you thinking of taking a course?

Magic is real.

pdude81

Yeah, there are multiple issues with this.

1. You HAVE to get up very early on your full day in the resort.
2. Literally about half of that day is spent in the Studios, doing things you can do MUCH cheaper on another day. You only have around 30 hours of active time in the resort. About $200 an hour per room. You are paying about $1000 to visit Galaxy’s Edge, and have a mediocre lunch. Not even a free blue milk. You would be paying about $200 for that time on a regular day. Maybe $300 with meal and LL.
3. Lunch IN THE PARK. Not only is this a low quality meal, and again, something you can do any other time, 30 minutes seems very short. You gotta woof down lunch.
4. There are big logistical issues. First, I assume the transport will need many trips for everyone. I can’t imagine they have 2 of them, but maybe. Even so, the time for transporting will likely total an hour window, so if you are on the last group, you sorta lose another hour in the hotel, although I’m also assuming the hotel is going to sort of close down at a fairly early time, maybe 10. I don’t see a bar staying open until midnight, everyone on the “ship” would try to be there.
5. More logistics, Docking Bay will basically become overran by ship guests every other day right at lunch. This will be 4-500 people being fast passed into the restaurant. Making it a nightmare for regular guests, right at lunch time.
You don't have to go to DHS, and I would be surprised if you were forced to wake up early unless you wanted to take part in one of the experiences. Also, if you are concerned about the price, which many are, then you might not want to spend your last full day sleeping in.

Also AFAIK you just get a lunch credit that you can use in SWGE or elsewhere should you choose to wander out to some other area of the park. Again, at this price point I'd either be following the plans and potential special interaction in DHS or staying behind to do whatever the alternate experience is on the GS

pdude81

I have been kind of cagey with my backstory as of yet, I'm still smoothing it out and transitioning her from D&D to something that exists or at least could exist in Star Wars. There's no homework on the app, if you're a new user or the person you choose to RP as is the same alignments as you you just play that way and continue on as normal. But I've spent 2 years completing only first order and scoundrel missions on Batuu so my stats already slant that way. I want to go even them out a little so I can at least appear neutral while it suits my character to do so. The play app is 100% me reading waaaay into the story and trying to keep up a bit of continuity for myself. It's about honest, if overzealous storytelling on behalf of my character.

Oh I get it completely. We won't be doing this one yearly or anything. But we got married in January of 2020 and never got to go on our honeymoon. It's stupid money we're just very fortunate we kept our jobs and just sat on rather than spend our Honeymoon money. It's something a lot of people would have to save a long time for, and I fully recognize how much of a slippery slope this could turn out to be for future Disney.

Oh very true of course but I just assume there will be wiggle room. I can see there being structure to when you can get into various activities, but I can't imagine there's regulation on people congregating in the atrium to RP/take 1000 photos/whatever. We'll see how it goes!
I haven't done the play app in SWGE since 2019 or so, when little of the interactive stuff seemed to be factoring into how people talked to me. Are there stats on there or information I could review to see how they "view" me? Or are you just aware of your history and want to proactively manage your assumption of the data?

pdude81

Cue the usual suspects who will decry that this doesn't prove widespread availability, it just means that, in terms of availability or cancellations, the vacancy is....

View attachment 613786
No, the patterns before showed them booking back up very quickly. This is something different. What the percentage is, nobody knows. But at this point people are not worried about cancelling before 90 days and then rebooking if they like the reviews of the first sailings.

pdude81

Disney's hotel website says that the rooms will be equipped with "a TV with entertainment from your home planet", which is how they'll explain that bit of mystery.

Although the TV signals traveling from our Milky Way galaxy to the Star Wars galaxy would take millions of years from now to get there, and Star Wars takes place in the distant past long before commercial Television was invented on Earth in the 1930's, so there's that timeline problem too. You're in your cabin in a galaxy millions of light years away watching Orlando TV stations from thousands of years in the distant future?

The first regular TV broadcasts from the 1939 World's Fair would only be about 80 light years from Earth by now. I Love Lucy episodes are 60 light years out, Three's Company is 40 light years out, Ross is breaking up with Rachel again 20 light years out, etc. The Milky Way Galaxy is over 150,000 light years across, and the next closest galaxy is 2.5 Million light years away.

The specific mention of "H20 Plus spa, bath and shower products" also makes me chuckle. I'm immersed!

I think the DoorDash delivery from Cheesecake Factory conundrum that @TrojanUSC came up with is going to be funnier to deal with than why the Charlotte Hornets game and Let's Make A Deal is on the ship's TV. 🤣

I think if we can accept hyperspace travel on the Falcon then we can tolerate interstellar Satellite TV. It's kind of dumb and they should try to theme more, but there will be people who want to watch the NCAA tournament and it's not worth dealing with the complaints.

pdude81

I suppose for those who'll worry that much about it spoiling the immersion they could just you know, not switch the television on? Those who think "I know this isn't really in space, as such I'd like to watch some tv", have the option of putting it on and chancing having their entire cruise ruined by realising they're still on earth (though I think they know that deep down). :D
If they don't have the Wild About Safety channel, my son may star attacking people with his plastic lightsaber in the hallway

Hawg G

Is 2 supposed to be a Galaxy's Edge plot or just a DHS plot? I can see how it would work for DHS, but I can't see how you could get to it from Galaxy's Edge without tearing down something they already built. It's hard to tell from an aerial, of course.

I can’t imagine 2 being used for more Studios. It could hold a whole park, which would make a whole lot more money.

pdude81

Somehow I missed all the updated to this thread since last Monday, but I'm caught up now. I'm curious to see how well this secret interaction is working with masks. I have no problem wearing masks indoors but at times it's hard to understand people. Whispering is not going to be much of a thing, but then again being that close to strangers in Covid time feels "alien" to me as well. And when we're eating at 10 person tables next to other families unmasked, is there much of a point to wear them in all hallways?

I'm in a place where I can not cancel my trip insurance but I could drop the whole thing and see how it goes after initial reviews. However, I feel in my heart of hearts that this project is "too big to fail" and their marketing showed me nothing useful. So I'll have to call in one last time with any questions I have and make a final decision. I'm leaning towards keeping it as is but they need to be able to answer questions about holding luggage after the voyage and how/where to pick up a ride to the airport if my flight home is later in the day and they have new guests coming in. I chose to do this at the end of a vacation and as of now don't plan to stay longer afterward.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is 2 supposed to be a Galaxy's Edge plot or just a DHS plot? I can see how it would work for DHS, but I can't see how you could get to it from Galaxy's Edge without tearing down something they already built. It's hard to tell from an aerial, of course.
The RotR queue could be revamped to allow for a passage to 2 if it is to be part of GE.

Or, it could be Star Wars, but a separate planet or time with a completely different entrance.

kingdead

Somehow I missed all the updated to this thread since last Monday, but I'm caught up now. I'm curious to see how well this secret interaction is working with masks. I have no problem wearing masks indoors but at times it's hard to understand people. Whispering is not going to be much of a thing, but then again being that close to strangers in Covid time feels "alien" to me as well. And when we're eating at 10 person tables next to other families unmasked, is there much of a point to wear them in all hallways?

I'm in a place where I can not cancel my trip insurance but I could drop the whole thing and see how it goes after initial reviews. However, I feel in my heart of hearts that this project is "too big to fail" and their marketing showed me nothing useful. So I'll have to call in one last time with any questions I have and make a final decision. I'm leaning towards keeping it as is but they need to be able to answer questions about holding luggage after the voyage and how/where to pick up a ride to the airport if my flight home is later in the day and they have new guests coming in. I chose to do this at the end of a vacation and as of now don't plan to stay longer afterward.
Personally, I think that if you're in generally decent health and willing to spend a day and a half right now in close quarters for a luxury experience that relies on personal contact, you might as well freeball in terms of masks. If COVID is there, you're getting it either way, and the impact of the masks on immersion is just too high for the price.

On the other hand, I hope no one had this as their Make a Wish trip... yeesh. (That and the kind of people who are paying for the trip may be mad that money doesn't keep away COVID--"I paid this much and a dirty virus got in!"--even if they don't get particularly sick.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom