News EPCOT International Festival of the Arts 2022

mickey0825

I honestly don't get why people are getting in such a huff about this...I was at EPCOT on Friday. I did not wait for a Figment bucket and even if I really wanted one I wouldn't have waited more than 30-45 minutes. But why is everyone so upset?...its supply and demand...this is nothing new....Sporting events and concerts forever have had people buying up tickets and reselling them. This happened a few years ago with PS4 systems....people couldn't get them in time for Christmas unless they wanted to pay triple the price...Heck it happened with Cabbage Patch dolls in the 1980s.... If it's worth it for someone to spend $200 because they really want one and don't live in Florida, so be it...if someone wants to wait on line for 7 hours to make a few hundred bucks so be it. There are many sporting events I would have LOVED to go to but couldn't afford the secondary market price. I just didn't go. Fact is whenever you have a collectible item that's high in demand this is going to happen......It's not Disney's fault...the resellers aren't evil people....it just is what it is

mickey0825

I just need to say......

I have been a Figment fan for the last forty years.
That's four decades.... so a fan far longer then before it was 'cool' to like the character.

As much as I love this character and what he represents, these 'fat dragon' popcorn buckets do absolutely nothing for me.
Zip.

I really do hope that some of the folks rushing to the Park to buy a bunch of these are not deluded in thinking that by buying lots of Figment merch that we shall see a vast improvement happen at the current Imagination Pavilion.
Won't happen.

All it 'proves' to Disney is that they need to offer more 'limited edition' and 'special event' merchandise.
Nothing more.

-
FYI - this bucket was never deemed as limited edition...and yes it's offered during the Arts Festival but it did not require a special ticket to attend

MrMichaelJames

I honestly don't get why people are getting in such a huff about this...I was at EPCOT on Friday. I did not wait for a Figment bucket and even if I really wanted one I wouldn't have waited more than 30-45 minutes. But why is everyone so upset?...its supply and demand...this is nothing new....Sporting events and concerts forever have had people buying up tickets and reselling them. This happened a few years ago with PS4 systems....people couldn't get them in time for Christmas unless they wanted to pay triple the price...Heck it happened with Cabbage Patch dolls in the 1980s.... If it's worth it for someone to spend $200 because they really want one and don't live in Florida, so be it...if someone wants to wait on line for 7 hours to make a few hundred bucks so be it. There are many sporting events I would have LOVED to go to but couldn't afford the secondary market price. I just didn't go. Fact is whenever you have a collectible item that's high in demand this is going to happen......It's not Disney's fault...the resellers aren't evil people....it just is what it is
Only reason there is secondary market prices is because people buy up ton of product at market price with the only intention to resell at a much higher price. If that secondary market never existed then more people would be able to attend events at listed price. It is selfish. You said it yourself, you would have loved to go to some sporting events but couldn't because of the scalper price.

Goofnut1980

But at the same time, with the popularity of popcorn buckets. I wonder why they only orders a few runs of the units.. You literally have 299 boxes per order and we say that happened twice. That's 3588 buckets per 299 boxes.. so you are telling me they bought 7,000 buckets for a festival in a park that can have 110,000 people in it at max capacity. Pretty sure we should fire Chapek over how cheap they are running the business. :p

aladdin2007

this.. and its simply a free market, whatever the market will bear in commerce. If someone wants to spend that much thats their choice, right, and freedom to do so. Disney gets their price so their happy. I would not spend that much on one myself or wait in line, but for collectors if they are willing to and thats what they want to do, well more power to them. Who are we to say otherwise. You can buy it or you dont have to. Its not illegal or even unethical which many here talk as if it is. This is everywhere with everything not exclusive to disney by any means.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

this.. and its simply a free market, whatever the market will bare in commerce. If someone wants to spend that much thats their choice, right, and freedom to do so. Disney gets their price so their happy. I would not spend that much on one myself or wait in line, but for collectors if they are willing to and thats what they want to do, well more power to them. Who are we to say otherwise. You can buy it or you dont have to. Its not illegal which many here talk as if it is. This is everywhere with everything not exclusive to disney by any means.
The reason it drives so many of us nuts is because the resellers prevent people who want one, who are there in the parks, from getting one. That isn't right.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The reason it drives so many of us nuts is because the resellers prevent people who want one, who are there in the parks, from getting one. That isn't right.
Agree. Disney puts in place rules. 2 pr person. So why dont they just choose guests over resellers and follow their own rules. Not hard.

SpectroMagician

From what I have heard literally no one actually intends on spending anything near $1,000. They are fake bidders who will not actually pay it trying to make them look valuable hoping someone will bite and pay a couple hundred and think they got a deal.

Do not fall for it - there are plenty of them out there. If you want one just wait a couple months and they will be selling for $50

mickey0825

How does it stop people?...anyone that was in the park on Friday at 10:00am and got on line was able to purchase a bucket. You may have had to wait 5 or 6 hours but you would have gotten one.

ImperfectPixie

How does it stop people?...anyone that was in the park on Friday at 10:00am and got on line was able to purchase a bucket. You may have had to wait 5 or 6 hours but you would have gotten one.
So you're okay with someone on a very expensive vacation being forced to waste nearly an entire day waiting to purchase something for their child? And on top of that having the wait possibly be for naught if the item sells out before they're able to get one?

Resellers are a problem for guests in the parks. End of story.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

EPCOT 2022 DISNEY ON BROADWAY Concert Series - Arielle Jacobs and Adam Jacobs​

Epcot-International-Festival-of-the-Arts_Full_46037.jpg

mickey0825

So you're okay with someone on a very expensive vacation being forced to waste nearly an entire day waiting to purchase something for their child? And on top of that having the wait possibly be for naught if the item sells out before they're able to get one?Resellers are a problem for guests in the parks
OK is a relative term...if that's how they want to spend their time that's up to them. No one is being forced to do anything. There have been many items I've wanted that were sold out. If someone pays admission, they're entitled to exactly what is offered.

For me, I think it's absurd. And again...everyone wants to blame Disney.....how do you stop it? Go down the line and ask...are you reselling this? are you reselling this? This is not unique to Disney

ImperfectPixie

OK is a relative term...if that's how they want to spend their time that's up to them. No one is being forced to do anything. There have been many items I've wanted that were sold out. If someone pays admission, they're entitled to exactly what is offered.

For me, I think it's absurd. And again...everyone wants to blame Disney.....how do you stop it? Go down the line and ask...are you reselling this? are you reselling this? This is not unique to Disney
To pretend they don't have the means to track how many items a guest has purchased is ludicrous.

csmat99

To pretend they don't have the means to track how many items a guest has purchased is ludicrous.
Couldn't agree more. The bigger issue is why Disney only sold one location and limited supply. They knew for a fact the demand for this would be sky high. You flood it with multiple locations and don't run out there will be no ebay problem. Don't get me wrong people will still sell them but won't be for hundreds of dollars. Disney wanted to do this because they want the attention in the news and also prove a point to the beancounters they can literally do whatever they want and people will still come. Now with splash mountain that made sense because they didn't know the ride would be closing and didn't order more merchandise. As much as I love Disney I fear when the time comes when people had enough it's going to come fast and hard and Disney won't be able to do anything about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom