News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

LovePop

I'm not saying what the reaction of the viewers would be. I'm saying the vloggers will be gushing all over it. And I agree, if people see the actual inside or experiences, they can judge for themselves. I think that Disney is prohibiting videos and photos of anything inside though from guests.
I went back to read your post more carefully. You are right. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think the vloggers will be that stupid if they are allowed to show videos or photos (I'm assuming that they, unlike regular guests, will be allowed to make videos - otherwise, they'd be vloggers without the "v"). They would have to give their honest opinion if they don't want to sound like that guy who says "This is fun!" to the lightsaber training when everybody can see exactly how much fun he's having.

I also think that the bit about prohibiting videos and photos are just for during important moments, to avoid breaking immersion. Like the way Haunted Mansion prohibits flash photography. The prohibiting videos and photos rumor isn't mentioned in the Starcruiser official website, though it does mention your datapad (ie phone) to be used frequently. As long as your phone is out, you can totally make a few discreet videos, just so long as you are not blatantly holding it up and blocking people's view.

In the end, I trust most invited vloggers will tell the truth, especially if the truth is obvious.

orion54

I went back to read your post more carefully. You are right. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think the vloggers will be that stupid if they are allowed to show videos or photos (I'm assuming that they, unlike regular guests, will be allowed to make videos - otherwise, they'd be vloggers without the "v"). They would have to give their honest opinion if they don't want to sound like that guy who says "This is fun!" to the lightsaber training when everybody can see exactly how much fun he's having.

I also think that the bit about prohibiting videos and photos are just for during important moments, to avoid breaking immersion. Like the way Haunted Mansion prohibits flash photography. The prohibiting videos and photos rumor isn't mentioned in the Starcruiser official website, though it does mention your datapad (ie phone) to be used frequently. As long as your phone is out, you can totally make a few discreet videos, just so long as you are not blatantly holding it up and blocking people's view.

In the end, I trust most invited vloggers will tell the truth, especially if the truth is obvious.
I agree but I would think any videos/photos Disney allows to be released will be majorly scripted and edited.

LovePop

Less so, for sure.
But Disney has still failed to show us anything good.
Good may be there, I'm sure it is in some capacity. I hope there are amazing things we haven't been shown.
But, even if one were paying 1-2K, what have they shown us for that price?
I don't see how the Starcuriser can be worth it for any price. Even if it were amazing, it'd be like living inside Smuggler's Run for 2 days role playing, no outside grounds, no pool, no fresh air except for the 4 hours allotted time. I can see doing that for 2 hours as a LARPing attraction, but 2 days? With your little kids and teen daughter and grandma?

LovePop

I agree but I would think any videos/photos Disney allows to be released will be majorly scripted and edited.
Ah, I didn't think of that. But vloggers don't let their videos get edited - I wouldn't if I were a vlogger! But in any case, some of the non-vlogging, fully paying customers will be making videos discreetly, and there's nothing Disney can do to stop that. If I were a regular guest on March 1, I'd post a video that day, at around 2 pm. Well, OK, if the hotel is as boring as the promo videos show then I might not bother because I'd be too busy listening to the family complaining: "I don't want to be stuck in the horrible Star Wars hotel! I want to go on a ride!"

(Years ago, when I took my family to WDW for the first time, my son, then 4 years old, said in Hollywood Studios: "I don't want to be in the Horrible Studios! I want to go on a ride!"

GimpYancIent

I don't see how the Starcuriser can be worth it for any price. Even if it were amazing, it'd be like living inside Smuggler's Run for 2 days role playing, no outside grounds, no pool, no fresh air except for the 4 hours allotted time. I can see doing that for 2 hours as a LARPing attraction, but 2 days? With your little kids and teen daughter and grandma?
Very good. A Galactic Road trip kind of like a coast-to-coast road trip in a bus w the family but in outer space. Depending on the amount of actual living space there is inside for 300 or so passengers and crew the Halcyon claustrophobia may just creep in. The port of call to Batuu may be an attempt to avoid that.

GimpYancIent

Ah, I didn't think of that. But vloggers don't let their videos get edited - I wouldn't if I were a vlogger! But in any case, some of the non-vlogging, fully paying customers will be making videos discreetly, and there's nothing Disney can do to stop that. If I were a regular guest on March 1, I'd post a video that day, at around 2 pm. Well, OK, if the hotel is as boring as the promo videos show then I might not bother because I'd be too busy listening to the family complaining: "I don't want to be stuck in the horrible Star Wars hotel! I want to go on a ride!"

(Years ago, when I took my family to WDW for the first time, my son, then 4 years old, said in Hollywood Studios: "I don't want to be in the Horrible Studios! I want to go on a ride!"
Children can be very blunt. Honest and blunt.

Cesar R M

Yeah, i just saw a click bait article come across my Google feed with something a long the lines of 'star wars hotel is only 50% full for months'. And they based the whole article on the stupid availability calendar as if that tells us how many cabins are actually available. A few of us, including you, have repeatedly said we have no idea how many free rooms there are. There isn't a doubt that there are cancellations. There isn't a doubt many of those cancellations are because people don't like what they have seen so far (we have several posters on this board say that). It does seem most cancellations are coming in around 90 days where people have to make final payment.

I do think with how expensive this is, Disney will find it hard to get last minute reservations. this is likely why they want full payment or cancellation by 90 days. If it were the standard 30 days like a hotel, there would be very little chance of filling that cabin. I also don't think Disney would calculate ROI on 100% of rooms being sold. Yes, they probably expected it to be sold out for months, but it won't break them in the long run. As long as they deliver and have positive reviews and good word of mouth (previous promo videos aside, which were bad).

Again, not denying there have been cancellations which may be more than what even Disney expected. But no one has any idea of how full or empty these initial cruises will be except Disney. Anyone suggesting anything else is foolish.
Theres tons of videos poking fun at this hotel already which are not helping.

techgeek

Not to forget, there are currently a LOT of very different current issues that could be driving cancellations:

1) Covid and the current Omicron wave. Even if you aren't especially concerned about getting it yourself, there's uncertainty about testing positive before / during / after travel and the subsequent impacts on work / life.

2) Signifiant changes in personal financial status. Lots of people still redefining their priorities and reworking household budgets. For whatever of many fill-in-the-blank reasons.

3) Negative pre-launch impressions of product quality and value for the expense.

For any other launch of this scope, #1 and #2 would easily be significant and notable issues by themselves. #3 makes it the perfect storm. I'd be interested to learn if they are getting any decent metrics on cancellation reasons.

kingdead

Not to forget, there are currently a LOT of very different current issues that could be driving cancellations:

1) Covid and the current Omicron wave. Even if you aren't especially concerned about getting it yourself, there's uncertainty about testing positive before / during / after travel and the subsequent impacts on work / life.

2) Signifiant changes in personal financial status. Lots of people still redefining their priorities and reworking household budgets. For whatever of many fill-in-the-blank reasons.

3) Negative pre-launch impressions of product quality and value for the expense.

For any other launch of this scope, #1 and #2 would easily be significant and notable issues by themselves. #3 makes it the perfect storm. I'd be interested to learn if they are getting any decent metrics on cancellation reasons.
It's just too expensive and short an experience to bother with if you think you're going to be sick/masked. There's plenty of stuff to do outside at Disney World and if you have a longer stay, omicron supposedly isn't that rough so maybe it's worth it to go now in general but the Starcruiser setup is like a big petri dish (and I wouldn't want to be stuck in those tiny rooms if I wasn't feeling well). Plus wearing masks all day would ruin the immersion.

jinx8402

Theres tons of videos poking fun at this hotel already which are not helping.

First off... clown fish. a big LOL. This thing could be a smashing success and they would still put out a negative video because it is "Disney Star Wars".

Second, no one has actually experienced this yet. So not sure how that video is in response to me saying it will depend on reviews and word of mouth if it is to be a ROI success (in Disney's eye's).

I agree, the marketing video was bad (both in what it showed and the film quality). And Disney is getting a lot of bad press about it. That does not change that how "booked" this thing is in the future will be based on first hand experiences and word of mouth.

celluloid

Unpopular opinion and prediction, and yes I will be ripped apart for this,
but in the long term, the company is likely to learn that you do not easily base an entire hotel on one property, even Star Wars and expect a long long life for when you charge as much or more than the theme park time you want people to visit.

People tend to want to play all day and be surrounded by general motifs with specific jokes or nods for their rest up times, not immersed in a theme for 24/7 for three days without the typical R and R.

Last edited:

Incomudro

but in the long term, the company is likely to learn that you do not easily base an entire hotel on one property, even Star Wars and expect a long long life for when you charge as much or more than the theme park time you want people to visit.

People tend to want to play all day and be surrounded by general motifs with specific jokes or nods for their rest up times, not immersed in a theme for 24/7 for three days without the typical R and R.
Yeah, the full on immersion for two days certainly limits audiences.
It's been a gamble for Disney from the start as to how long such a thing can be sustained, even if it is very well received.
The small number of rooms for this experience certainly helps to draw out how long it might last.
As for me, full on immersion like this is something I would have been willing to do for my sons when they were younger.
It's not something I'd be personally into, but I would have done it for their sake. (well, maybe not due to price)
Now that my sons will be 20 (can't believe how fast that went by) I couldn't do something like this, and they wouldn't really be into it either - let alone my wife.

Disstevefan1

I wonder if the adverse reactions would be as intense as they are if the price point was not 6K+ but rather say 1-2K+?
YES, the price is a turn off for what, to us, is an unknown.

I remember when the dessert parties started at a low price then once they got folks hooked, the prices were raised over time.

The Starcruiser cruises should have been priced reasonably to begin with, get folks hooked and raise prices over time.

We WDW fans are accustomed to prices going up, no need to start over priced 😀

CaptinEO

Disney's idea of immersion is to make fanfiction. Just look at Avengers Campus and Galaxys Edge, they dont represent their source properties well at all.

I don't think the argument about guests not wanting to play all day works when we know that the "immersion" will be barely existent. It will be people waiting in a 40 minute line to pull a lever and watch a screen.

A really cool and super detailed role playing experience could actually be super unique and fun. I expected this with Galaxy's Edge which promised a living world with aliens and bounty hunters and interactivity. We all know how that went.

Disney needs to either fully commit or not bother at all when it comes to role playing/actors in their products. Having a cashier call dollars credits is not really a top notch star wars experience.

mergatroid

Disney's idea of immersion is to make fanfiction. Just look at Avengers Campus and Galaxys Edge, they dont represent their source properties well at all.

I don't think the argument about guests not wanting to play all day works when we know that the "immersion" will be barely existent. It will be people waiting in a 40 minute line to pull a lever and watch a screen.

A really cool and super detailed role playing experience could actually be super unique and fun. I expected this with Galaxy's Edge which promised a living world with aliens and bounty hunters and interactivity. We all know how that went.

Disney needs to either fully commit or not bother at all when it comes to role playing/actors in their products. Having a cashier call dollars credits is not really a top notch star wars experience.
People working there have already revealed that the role playing and character interaction is very involved with every guest being encouraged to participate with a lot of role play. The complaints about how it looks have been many after the adverts aired. However even a vlogger hammering the visuals has said a person working there has told him about the immersion with actors and even he seemed to think that part sounded good.

Patcheslee

YES, the price is a turn off for what, to us, is an unknown.

I remember when the dessert parties started at a low price then once they got folks hooked, the prices were raised over time.

The Starcruiser cruises should have been priced reasonably to begin with, get folks hooked and raise prices over time.

We WDW fans are accustomed to prices going up, no need to start over priced 😀
The "good news" is with booking being done over the phone, people can't easily compare price changes. Disney could in theory lower prices and unless someone has booked for later this year, then called and requested a booking for the exact same, they wouldn't know.

danv3

People working there have already revealed that the role playing and character interaction is very involved with every guest being encouraged to participate with a lot of role play. The complaints about how it looks have been many after the adverts aired. However even a vlogger hammering the visuals has said a person working there has told him about the immersion with actors and even he seemed to think that part sounded good.
Even if it's great, how long do you think that level of interactivity and immersion will last? Three months? Six months? A year?

Disstevefan1

The "good news" is with booking being done over the phone, people can't easily compare price changes. Disney could in theory lower prices and unless someone has booked for later this year, then called and requested a booking for the exact same, they wouldn't know.
I wondered about that, ignoring the calendars in the site, If you call at random and can get booked for a two day “cruise” the day before “departure“ and get a low price to fill a cabin?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom