News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

erasure fan1

A race we've NEVER seen in Star Wars?
And this is at the heart of the Disney star wars problem. Why do they insist on ignoring classic star wars aliens? They want to make their own star wars. One of the best ways to make something"feel" like star wars? Use the classic star wars imagery, and the aliens are a big part of that. Unfortunately Disney just wants to be the smartest guy in the room, instead of just creating good star wars.

corran horn

And this is at the heart of the Disney star wars problem. Why do they insist on ignoring classic star wars aliens? They want to make their own star wars. One of the best ways to make something"feel" like star wars? Use the classic star wars imagery, and the aliens are a big part of that. Unfortunately Disney just wants to be the smartest guy in the room, instead of just creating good star wars.
Lt Bek dot gif says hello.

matt9112

But its only 100 rooms. You can't support a stand alone hotel like that efficiently. If it was parked along an offramp it would pay but as a Disney hotel it is not really workable without the gimmick

This is a good point...the small scale makes it inherently impossible to flip this into a nirmal resort even if they wanted to. GRANTED could do some kind of normalish deluxe with the big perk being proximity to mgm. BUT would still need to build new wings and a pool etc etc.

matt9112

This is playing out like some kind of comedic joke, but it's real.
Who is going to find that to be a cool captain?
She looks like a character from a pre school kids show.
It amazes me that there are people in control of this who believe that this - and the rest of what they've shown us - is what people want.
And no, selling out on the first go 'round doesn't show that the people want this.
It's future voyages after the real story gets out that will tell that.

I just now looked at that for the first time and holy hell....is this the magic school bus or a 6000 dollar "cruise"

ImperfectPixie

That 20+ second stunned pause was brutal... 🤣, but ultimately :banghead: and 😞
He hit the nail on the head though...it feels like "off brand" Star Wars because Disney's trying to make it their own instead of using what has been proven to work. Lucas made a similar mistake with the prequels - everything was too new and pristine looking - but Disney has taken that same blunder to a whole new level.

GimpYancIent

This is a good point...the small scale makes it inherently impossible to flip this into a nirmal resort even if they wanted to. GRANTED could do some kind of normalish deluxe with the big perk being proximity to mgm. BUT would still need to build new wings and a pool etc etc.
OR convert the Halcyon into a Club 33 exclusive Star Wars themed retreat where the self-appointed elite can indulge, dine, amuse themselves and be entertained by appropriately costumed CM's. A reclusive location adjacent to and accessible to Batuu but the special folks plopping down the serious credits will not be in the midst of, among or near the riffraff and rebel scum. Even have 1st Order Security to prevent anyone other than Club 33 members from gaining access.

SpoiledBlueMilk

This thread grows and grows whenever I check back on it and I can't look at all of the posts so apologies in advance if this is repetitive.

I will never understand for the life of me how a company like Disney, which produces film and TV content cannot pull it together to make a promo video for parks that isn't immediately cringeworthy. Any excitement for this project slipped out like air from a balloon with this video. The bridge and the bar look like off-brand Star Wars (I completely agree with Star Wars Theory's take). Nothing about it tells me that I'm being transported to that universe. It's generic. It's boring. It's....too clean.

I am Disney's demographic for this resort. I'm 44 - same age as the OT. I can afford this experience. Will I ever do it? Nope - not after seeing this. Want me to shell out $6,000 for a two-night "cruise" where this is the level of "Star Wars" immersion?

This thing is lame and makes Galaxy's Edge look immersive. I'm still holding out hope for more.

EPCOT-O.G.

I am Disney's demographic for this resort. I'm 44 - same age as the OT. I can afford this experience. Will I ever do it? Nope - not after seeing this. Want me to shell out $6,000 for a two-night "cruise" where this is the level of "Star Wars" immersion?

This thing is lame and makes Galaxy's Edge look immersive. I'm still holding out hope for more.
For a fraction of this cost, you could spend...

$500 for a night at BC/YC/BW
$140 for a ticket to DHS (and see the rest of the park)
$220 to build a lightsaber
$100 to build a droid
$8 buy your choice of blue/green milk

That's under 1/6 the cost (assuming $6k) for as good a SW experience as you could hope for. Speaking of blue/green milk, I am getting those kinds of vibes in terms of how the execution is going to go down.

Incomudro

This is one of their biggest failures.
People want classic characters.
That's part of the reason the toy line, action figure line, as well as the high end models are so popular.
Ignoring most of those characters, and instead creating new ones with a new story...
Well... I barely understand how that gets beyond a suggestion that isn't immediately dismissed.

RobWDW1971

Well... I barely understand how that gets beyond a suggestion that isn't immediately dismissed.

Right after they guy who suggested "In Star Wars Land, let's not play any of the iconic Star Wars music - let's go with awkward silence!!!"

And for those "But, but, but, it wouldn't have been immersive!!!" people, 1) Harry Potter Land is incredibly immersive and plays the music the second you walk into the land and 2) if we are going for authentic realism then why is there Star Wars music playing in the hallways of a Star Destroyer on ROTR? #logic #consistency #playthedamnmusic

Touchdown

They are asking me to spend more then I spend on a week at WDW (at a deluxe, going to TS restaurants) on a 2 day experience. I too am the target demographic and can afford this. I have zero desire at this point, the reviews would have to be stellar, or the price point significantly lowered.

Signed the guy whose rented a VIP tour guide and gone on Adventures by Disneys Backstage Magic trip in CA.

Incomudro

Right after they guy who suggested "In Star Wars Land, let's not play any of the iconic Star Wars music - let's go with awkward silence!!!"

And for those "But, but, but, it wouldn't have been immersive!!!" people, 1) Harry Potter Land is incredibly immersive and plays the music the second you walk into the land and 2) if we are going for authentic realism then why is there Star Wars music playing in the hallways of Star Destroyer on ROTR? #logic #consistency #playthedamnmusic
I could kind of get them not playing Star Wars music if they went all in and delivered a real living land like they promised.
Argument being that "real life" doesn't have a theme song playing in it.
Then again, movies do - and no one argues that a movie is less convincing because there's music in it.
It's actually the opposite.

ImperfectPixie

And for those "But, but, but, it wouldn't have been immersive!!!" people, 1) Harry Potter Land is incredibly immersive and plays the music the second you walk into the land and 2) if we are going for authentic realism then why is there Star Wars music playing in the hallways of a Star Destroyer on ROTR? #logic #consistency #playthedamnmusic
What you hear ADDS to immersion. In every Star Wars film, there is music, and people will associate that music with Star Wars in a themed land, too.

TDLFan

You can have immersion, but the immersion has to be "fun." Otherwise it's pointless. It's a theme park. I'd argue that Star Wars Weekends were more fun, more enjoyable and downright more Star Wars to fans and theme park goers than Galaxies Edge and this Star Cruiser combined.

ImperfectPixie

This thread grows and grows whenever I check back on it and I can't look at all of the posts so apologies in advance if this is repetitive.

I will never understand for the life of me how a company like Disney, which produces film and TV content cannot pull it together to make a promo video for parks that isn't immediately cringeworthy. Any excitement for this project slipped out like air from a balloon with this video. The bridge and the bar look like off-brand Star Wars (I completely agree with Star Wars Theory's take). Nothing about it tells me that I'm being transported to that universe. It's generic. It's boring. It's....too clean.

There are too many egos involved. I'd bet money that if the egos were gone, we'd have the Star Wars the fans want...not Disney's cleaned up, "luxury" version of Star Wars.

Dragonman

These seem to be made specifically because of the hotel itself to give back stories. If I have to read a comic book to get the history behind the starcruiser, they've dropped the ball IMO.
Not the first time they’ve done it, they left it up to the novels and promo material to answer the numerous unanswered questions and plot holes from the sequel trilogy they could’ve easily explained in the films.

And a good number weren’t even answered at all lol.
B7C42DBA-3743-494B-8721-26301D0FEFA0.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom