News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

UNCgolf

The ball lights in the nylon nets are still so bad. I can't wrap my head around the fact that they're final when they already did similar fixtures correctly elsewhere in the resort. Just, why?

I know I'm pretty negative, but I honestly can't think of any good reason beyond just not really caring.

"They're ball lights in a net, that's what we did elsewhere, right? This is good enough."

lazyboy97o

The ball lights in the nylon nets are still so bad. I can't wrap my head around the fact that they're final when they already did similar fixtures correctly elsewhere in the resort. Just, why?
I know I'm pretty negative, but I honestly can't think of any good reason beyond just not really caring.

"They're ball lights in a net, that's what we did elsewhere, right? This is good enough."
Are there other exterior ones I am forgetting about at the moment? Exterior lighting is going to have to be engineered to meet Florida Product Approval requirements for attachment (has to hold up to wind). They also have to be weather resistant and output a certain amount of light. All together you do have different constraints that’ll inform the final fixture.

ImperfectPixie

Are there other exterior ones I am forgetting about at the moment? Exterior lighting is going to have to be engineered to meet Florida Product Approval requirements for attachment (has to hold up to wind). They also have to be weather resistant and output a certain amount of light. All together you do have different constraints that’ll inform the final fixture.
That doesn't mean they have to look bad/cheap though.

UNCgolf

Right, but in that case, it means you should something different. If the original plan ends up looking this bad due to regulations, then you switch to a different solution. They certainly didn't have to do ball lights in netting.

That's really what I meant by "This is good enough."

James Alucobond

I can’t remember if it’s lighted, but there’s this at Pago Pago:
1638396882172.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
…right…Florida is known far and wide as a regulatory “stickler”

Beacon Joe

They're Japanese fishing floats and they are a classic Polynesian Pop / tiki bar decoration, both lit and unlit.

Here's a view from inside La Mariana in Honolulu. I think these lights haven't been dusted since they were installed in 1957.

la mariana.jpg

That said, while I think they did a great job with the lobby chandelier, Disney does seem to be overdoing it with that logic of "hey they looked great in there, let's dump them everywhere" which is a bit lazy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They're Japanese fishing floats and they are a classic Polynesian Pop / tiki bar decoration, both lit and unlit.

Here's a view from inside La Mariana in Honolulu. I think these lights haven't been dusted since they were installed in 1957.

View attachment 604389

That said, while I think they did a great job with the lobby chandelier, Disney does seem to be overdoing it with that logic of "hey they looked great in there, let's dump them everywhere" which is a bit lazy.
The new “numbers” head of WDI…and the 15 year “under Iger” head of the board will no doubt help to combat that trend 😂

Sir_Cliff

I agree.

I know everyone likes to laugh at Zach's posts about Epcot, but at least those pay lip service to the idea Disney is supposed to pay attention to small details and the choice of materials used. The message this project sends is that Disney's theming standards are now that if they want to build something that appears to be a wooden structure they'll just paint the steel and concrete brown. Some globes in a net are close enough to glass floats.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree.

I know everyone likes to laugh at Zach's posts about Epcot, but at least those pay lip service to the idea Disney is supposed to pay attention to small details and the choice of materials used. The message this project sends is that Disney's theming standards are now that if they want to build something that appears to be a wooden structure they'll just paint the steel and concrete brown. Some globes in a net are close enough to glass floats.
There is a balance there that just isn’t valued anymore. Zach’a problem seems to be he doesn’t understand that the “Rodhe” school didn’t work either…the decades of overspending like sailors in Singapore has repercussions that lower quality too.
Whoah boy. I guess I should read the WDI thread and see what you're talking about. I only saw the WDI thread title and thought, "Huh? The Walt Disney Institute is still around?" I forgot about the other I.
It’s been a very tangible/interesting actual news week for TWDC…

…but I bet most people are still asking about parades and how to get a boarding group for Attack of the Abrams🤪

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom