The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Mac Tonight

I'd choose DCA even in it's present form. I appreciate Epcot and was there on Oct 1st but a lot of it is tired and run down. Most of the entertainment and atmosphere is still missing, stores don't open until 1pm in some countries. The Morocco area is just empty. The Living Seas and Imagination pavilions should be either entirely replaced or gutted.

Even with these faults and many others, I enjoyed my visit but I'd still choose to go to DCA.
No doubt the current Epcot is lacking and there is much improvement that is needed from top to bottom. But when I think of where I'd want to spend hours... even simply sitting and people watching, Epcot wins hands down. I guess to put it in more perspective, the older I get, I'm finding that I'm not that interested in thrill rides, and it's more about the place-making, the feeling that takes you out of reality and absorbs you in the details, that I look for in the parks. For my money, I get way more out of simply exploring the Japan Pavilion, than I do at Pixar Pier.

The simple fact that we got DCA over Westcot will still never sit well with me.

Mac Tonight

Interesting. Would you say World Showcase has mostly to do with that? How many nostalgia points do you think it’s getting, if any? Also do you think it’s more repeatable than DCA? Say you were an AP and they were at the same resort. Just comparing ride rosters, DCA seems like it has more repeat value but that obviously doesn’t tell the whole story.
WS is definitely a big part of it. It's a mini-park in it's own right. Even though the "ride" total is much lower than DCA, I'd rather spend time exploring the various countries architecture and cultural offerings than trying to go on the Incredicoaster 3-4 times. And if the Food and Wine festival is going, forget it. You'd need a week just to eat (and drink) your way around the world.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Can someone tell me what rides/ lands are going into Universals Epic Universe or direct me where I can read? It’s amazing how out of the loop I am with Universal stuff.

socalifornian

This Discord server can send you notifications when dining reservations open up. So far it’s only Blue Bayou, Carthay, Oga’s, Trader Sams, Lamplight, and Napa Rose. As of now it goes as far as the Disneyland app, January 30th

PiratesMansion

Magic Kingdom is such an ugly park compared to Disneyland.
I think ugly is a strong word in this instance.

It definitely operates on a different aesthetic register than Disneyland, aiming for spectacular and epic compared to Disneyland's charming and intimate. That may or may not fit individual preferences, but it has a certain level of design integrity and generally sticks to it even in newer areas. The visuals are relatively consistent, besting many of the other parks which have a mix of compelling and mediocre areas and design. There are definitely areas where the park's design works better than others, but you could say that about most any park.

I definitely think Magic Kingdom is in the top half of Disney parks aesthetically, and I'd certainly rank it in that category ahead of Walt Disney Studios in Paris (FAR, far ahead!), Hollywood Studios, California Adventure, Epcot, Shanghai, and even my beloved Tokyo Disneyland.

Last edited:

truecoat

Nicksplat Yes GIF by Hey Arnold

Dear Prudence

I’ve never been but I’ve been breaking my old rule of not watching walk around videos of parks I want to go to in the future and I was actually surprised by how nice some of the areas looked. Particularly Liberty Square and some of the areas on the outskirts of the hub.
Yeah, I do like the Liberty Square section! Needs a Sleepy Hollow ride, though 🥺

DrAlice

I haven't been silent with how I feel about the WDC decisions as of late (i.e. upcharging park guests at every turn; moving creative operations to Lake Nona, Florida; cheapening out on new lands and in-park staffing and entertainment, etc.). I sincerely hope that this board decision is a sign that they see it too. The penny-pinching decisions of late can't continue without completely diluting the brand. Let's hope this is a sign that a pivot in company decisions is on the way. 🤞

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom