News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

GimpYancIent

It all comes down to the guests / travelers that have plunked down their credits to reserve places on the Galactic Star Cruiser to have an immersive experience. For the amount of credits paid there are expectations. Regardless of any advertising / story telling or rumor spreading if those first travelers expectations are not met the experience will have a limited future, at least at the current price point. The exclusivity and limited access will mean nothing.

Trauma

I swear, the wrong people are in charge of this stuff.
From design to implementation.
Very bland, unexciting and unimaginative people netting very bland, unexciting and unimaginative results.
It seems as though the people behind this stuff are really not fans, and really don't get it.
It’s scary bad.

If this is what it looks like, and it doesn’t completely bomb after the first year, I will fully buy into the narrative that Disney is invincible.

jaxonp

This resort was a mistake. The decisions made.. the execution … not Disney level. Not even Universal level…. This is six flags with a nice budget… wasted.

The money to build this resort should have gone into another attraction or a show or more cantinas or dinning experiences … anything in Galaxy’s edge. More things to do would have filled more rooms in any resort. Perplexed.

bubbles1812

Don't worry - I'm sure we will be drowned out by all the positive posts about how this video blows away all expectations by the people who put down deposits in three, two...

:oops:
Aight. I’m one of those people who has a deposit down… and I’m gonna be honest, the judgement on those who have chosen to do the StarCruiser have been pretty harsh, considering no one has even experienced this yet.

You can think I’m wasting my money. That’s your opinion and you are entitled to it. But in a second, I’m going to defend *my* choice, and I’d appreciate if you’d keep an open mind. I’d also like to say/disclose, as I have previously, that I am blessed and grateful to have a solid amount of flexible income, so unless the thing is a disaster of epic proportions (doubt it), I doubt I’ll regret doing this experience once…. Money is still an object that matters to me, of course, but I fully acknowledge there are many people not in my position.

So… I watched the video, and you might be surprised to hear this was neither a turn off or turn on.

The lightsaber training in all actuality is pretty much in line with what I expected. They had to make something that 7-100 year olds could do and following a remote/light fits that bill. It’s kind of like Luke following the sphere in New Hope but without the helmet. I’m gonna guess this activity is going to be much more fun to do in person with other people than what it looks like on the the video. I can imagine laughing as I try to watch my relatively tech illiterate 60+ father doing this and having some fun. So that’s one thing.

As for the bridge/graphics… well… I suppose they could be better, but being not a super video gamey person, I personally don’t mind the concept of pressing a few buttons and pulling a lever to go to light speed.

In this case, I think how you feel about Smuggler’s Run might correspond to how you feel about this stuff. I personally find that ride quite enjoyable. Is it my absolute favorite? Nope. But I’ve still had a blast (pun intended) and that’s coming from someone who has never even been in the Pilot position (nor really wanted to, for that matter, too much stress).

You may think that I’m setting my expectations too low here, but I’ve never needed things to be *ultra* realistic to be able to put myself in the story. I didn’t expect to feel like I could really walk out the door into Space, same as when I ate at Space 220. I think this is potentially another thing that might look better in person. Not sure. We will see.

In essence, I’m going to continue to reserve judgement on all this. It was a 1 minute 45 second video teaser. Essentially the cover of a book. I’m gonna wait way longer and would like far more information before I’d consider pulling out.

And I’m still of the mindset that Disney invested quite a bit in this. They know they have to knock it out for people to continue to book this high price ticket item. So I’m choosing to still be hopeful at the moment.

Despite all the changes over the years, despite the flaws that do really bother me regarding the parks, despite my very wishy washy feelings about Disney Corporate, and now the annoyance of G+, I keep in mind that I’ve still had 12 dang good trips to the Mouse House over the past 26 years, including one a few weeks ago. I still love the place. And right now at least, I’m still willing to give this a shot.

(I’m hoping this was a more even handed take that you expected. I think the cries of “it’s horrible” seem premature but the “it’s all rainbows and kittens” take is too. I don’t expect it to be perfect, but Disney can adjust.)

Last edited:

jaxonp

Important distinction here… I don’t care how people spend their money. It’s theirs after all. I care that Disney pushes the envelope, delivers unparalleled experiences and provides the legacy of magic they’ve procured over generations. The current direction doesn’t meld with that sentiment, does it?

bubbles1812

Important distinction here… I don’t care how people spend their money. It’s theirs after all. I care that Disney pushes the envelope, delivers unparalleled experiences and provides the legacy of magic they’ve procured over generations. The current direction doesn’t meld with that sentiment, does it?
I don’t know, at least in this case. Is 105 seconds of D’Amaro doing ‘obvious PR is obvious’ enough to make that call? I have easy frame of reference for most everything at Disney. You name the thing, I’ve probably done it at some point. But I’ve never participated in something theoretically this immersive. I think there’s still a chance for some magic, or I wouldn’t keep going back, and it’s why I willing to still consider this, pending more information. Time will obviously tell.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Aight. I’m one of those people who has a deposit down… and I’m gonna be honest, the judgement on those who have chosen to do the StarCruiser have been pretty harsh, considering no one has even experienced this yet.

You can think I’m wasting my money. That’s your opinion and you are entitled to it. But in a second, I’m going to defend *my* choice, and I’d appreciate if you’d keep an open mind. I’d also like to say/disclose, as I have previously, that I am blessed and grateful to have a solid amount of flexible income, so unless the thing is a disaster of epic proportions (doubt it), I doubt I’ll regret doing this experience once…. Money is still an object that matters to me, of course, but I fully acknowledge there are many people not in my position.

So… I watched the video, and you might be surprised to hear this was neither a turn off or turn on.

The lightsaber training in all actuality is pretty much in line with what I expected. They had to make something that 7-100 year olds could do and following a remote/light fits that bill. It’s kind of like Luke following the sphere in New Hope but without the helmet. I’m gonna guess this activity is gonna much more fun to do in person with other people than what it looks like on the the video. I can imagine laughing as I try to watch my relatively tech illiterate 60+ father doing this and having some fun. So that’s one thing.

As for the bridge/graphics… well… I suppose they could be better, but being not a super video gamey person, I personally don’t mind the concept of pressing a few buttons and pulling a lever to go to light speed.

In this case, I think how you feel about Smuggler’s Run might correspond to how you feel about this stuff. I personally find that ride quite enjoyable. Is it my absolute favorite? Nope. But I’ve still had a blast (pun intended) and that’s coming from someone who has never even been in the Pilot position (nor really wanted to, for that matter, too much stress).

You may think that I’m setting my expectations too low here, but I’ve never needed things to be *ultra* realistic to be able to put myself in the story. I didn’t expect to feel like I could really walk out the door into Space, same as when I ate at Space 220. I think this is potentially another thing that might look better in person. Not sure. We will see.

In essence, I’m going to continue to reserve judgement on all this. It was a 1 minute 45 second video teaser. Essentially the cover of a book. I’m gonna wait way longer and would like far more information before I’d consider pulling out.

And I’m still of the mindset that Disney invested quite a bit in this. They know they have to knock it out for people to continue to book this high price ticket item. So I’m choosing to still be hopeful at the moment.

Despite all the changes over the years, despite the flaws that do really bother me regarding the parks, despite my very wishy washy feelings about Disney Corporate, and now the annoyance of G+, I keep in mind that I’ve still had 12 dang good trips to the Mouse House over the past 26 years, including one a few weeks ago. I still love the place. And right now at least, I’m still willing to give this a shot.

(I’m hoping this was a more even handed take that you expected. I think the cries of “it’s horrible” seem premature but the “it’s all rainbows and kittens” take is too. I don’t expect it to be perfect, but Disney can adjust.)
I'm not saying anyone is wasting money here* and I'd suggest you have no reason to defend your choices to anyone - especially not strangers on the internet.

Having said that, your response, if I'm to understand you, is general optimism over what you hope/think this will ultimately be for your family and that Disney's preview video has done nothing to really move you one way or another.

If so, I wouldn't exactly call that an endorsement of what they've shown.

I hope this ends up being something enjoyable for your family and from the sounds if it, you're taking a pragmatic approach and considering the happiness of those around you and the experience of that, perhaps more than anything Disney themselves will produce which, I mean, who can argue with that?

Again though, it doesn't sound like you're exactly impressed with what's been shown so far from your own words.

Based on your position in this entire discussion, I'd hardly call that an "admission" of anything on your part because it seems like your expectations have been much different from most of the poeple looking forward to this, to date.

I'm really curious how the adults without children who've been booking for their own immersive fantasy experience are feeling about all of this right now, though.

*To each their own. Lord knows I've had enough people in my life that have thought I've wasted money on my own interests over the years.

Last edited:

bubbles1812

I'm not saying anyone is wasting money here and I'd suggest you have no reason to defend your choices to anyone - especially not strangers on the internet.

Having said that, your response, if I'm to understand you, is general optimism over what you hope/think this will ultimately be for your family and that Disney's preview video has done nothing to really move you one way or another.

If so, I wouldn't exactly call that an endorsement of what they've shown.

I hope this ends up being something enjoyable for your family and from the sounds if it, you're taking a pragmatic approach and considering the happiness of those around you and the experience of that, perhaps more than anything Disney themselves will produce which, I mean, who can argue with that?

Again though, it doesn't sound like you're exactly impressed with what's been shown so far from your own words.

Based on your position in this entire discussion, I'd hardly call that an "admission" of anything on your part because it seems like your expectations have been much different from most of the poeple looking forward to this, to date.

I'm really curious how the adults without children who've been booking for their own emersive fantasy experience are feeling about all of this right now, though.
Im generally quite excited about what I’ve read I’ll get to experience, and even more excited to experience it with my father. The video didn’t dissuade me from that. And I’m not worrying I’m gonna waste my money based on it.

But in general, I’m a person who always expects everything with a grain of salt. Disney has impressed me many times over the years, but they’ve disappointed at times too. So I’m not going to claim I expect perfection here. I only put on my rose colored glasses while actually in the parks, and certainly not on these forums. ;)

(I am an adult without any children who is bringing another adult. Not sure if that makes a difference to you.)

Off to watch Dune! :)

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I also couldn't care less if people spend money on this, and I hope anyone that does has a wonderful time.

I'm mainly just baffled that Disney thought that was a good teaser. It doesn't show anything unique or immersive at all. I don't get the point of it, because if someone was on the fence about booking I can't imagine that would encourage them to go ahead and make a reservation.

MrPromey

Im generally quite excited about what I’ve read I’ll get to experience, and even more excited to experience it with my father. The video didn’t dissuade me from that. And I’m not worrying I’m gonna waste my money based on it.

But in general, I’m a person who always expects everything with a grain of salt. Disney has impressed me many times over the years, but they’ve disappointed at times too. So I’m not going to claim I expect perfection here. I only put on my rose colored glasses while actually in the parks, and certainly not on these forums ;)

(I am an adult without any children who is bringing another adult. Not sure if that makes a difference to you.)

Off to watch Dune! :)
I don't know how I got the impression there were children, you and older adults but my original thoughts still stand that you're look at this through a lens a bit different from most.

Also, I wanted to say that I don't think anyone is intending to be harsh on the people who are signing up to do this but I think a lot of people who have decided to go are taking people's attacks on Disney's management of this whole thing as personal attacks on them.

My comment that you originally responded to, for instance, wasn't meant to attack anyone who signed up for it but to state that I can't imagine Disney's promotional video has done much to encourage the people who signed up sight unseen... and so far, your response basically saying it hasn't moved the needle one way or another is the closest thing to a positive comment I've seen.

To me, that's not telling of you or anyone else who signed up but is very telling of what Disney has shown.

Last edited:

rreading

All the negative posts from people that aren't planning on going and trying it out firsthand. Makes sense (note sarcasm)
Okay…so I’m interested but waiting to see reviews. If those reviews report that this video shows pretty much what we’re getting, then Disney is not going to be selling this product for long at these prices (and I definitely won’t be going for this - but pushing buttons that don’t do anything sure is fun!)

Magenta Panther

Watching that dude dance around with the plastic light saber was really...weird. What the heck was he supposed to be doing? Was the laser beam supposed to hit the light saber or was the light saber supposed to hit the laser beam? What kind of "training" was that? All that scene needed was Triumph the Insult Comic Dog to make it perfect. Perfectly embarrassing. Not to mention the bridge scene where guests pay a king's ransom to apparently play Space Invaders. Holy crap. Even I'm appalled by this disaster, and I don't even care that much about SW anymore...

Cesar R M

Watching that dude dance around with the plastic light saber was really...weird. What the heck was he supposed to be doing? Was the laser beam supposed to hit the light saber or was the light saber supposed to hit the laser beam? What kind of "training" was that? All that scene needed was Triumph the Insult Comic Dog to make it perfect. Perfectly embarrassing. Not to mention the bridge scene where guests pay a king's ransom to apparently play Space Invaders. Holy crap. Even I'm appalled by this disaster, and I don't even care that much about SW anymore...
I actually wonder if there was a full show in these settings. Aka a jedi showing us how "its done" professionally. Like those amazing saber fights tournaments that you can see in youtube.
Because the "training" looks comically bad.
Similar to the bridge scene. Would we see the captain and their staff trying to go away from the first order with a full show before you "help them" ?

Speaking of immersion. In all the images we seen from both star wars land and the halcyon.. they show a ton of characters with alien features.. Yet... In the final galaxy's edge.. we never manage to see not even a small a small fraction of what the images did show.

So in the end.. how much immersion we will actually get for paying ultra luxury levels of cruise-ship like experiences?

MurphyJoe

The ship in Space Invaders is more advanced. It could move and shoot with only one person at the controls.

After seeing what's been shown, the best Star Wars immersive experience is still Vader Immortal, and it's not even a theme park attraction.

This seems remarkably defensive for no reason.

It's a terrible video showcasing nothing remotely impressive. That doesn't mean the whole experience will be bad; there could be some incredible things they're keeping secret.

That's kind of the point, though. If Disney is trying to get more people on board, you'd think they'd want to show something that would actually attract guests, not something that makes it look bad.

They would have been better off showing nothing at all than showing this; I don't understand what they were thinking unless they actually thought this seemed impressive for some reason.

The entire video could've been better with thinking about the editing and setup. Instead of showing stuff off for D’Amaro, they could've had him learning lightsaber skills from a Jedi then grabbing him to the bridge to defend the ship. No difference in length or what's shown, but would've been more exciting overall.

Skywise

"crap, bad reviews keeps piling up.. quick.. invent a distraction like a badly done fanfic turned backstory of the halcyon!"

Also, apparently, per Tim tracker's.. if you pull the "hyperspeed" thing. All windows on the whole hotel will show the hyperspeed effect.
I hope this thing has a cooldown. Can you imagine the bombardment of lightspeed in and out while you're trying to sleep? XD
Oh I dunno - that part seems cool.. and weird at the same time. The entire ship *IS* going into hyperspace after all!
I wonder if the battle sequences are coordinated the same way - also, does each "view" get their own custom rendering of it or does everybody get the "right side" or "left side" view? (Sorry - starboard and port view :p )

Akshually... I just had an interesting thought. Instead of Star Wars, what if they had done this as The Axiom from Wall-E? (And who knows - it may yet end up that way!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom