Full Vaccination Required Ages 5+ Starting 1/13/22

nickys

Premium Member
I think a lot of other cruise lines will follow suit.
Quite possibly, especially for US sailings. Some did operate as adult only during the summer, when DCL allowed under 18s on board unvaccinated, and they will probably continue to do so.

However I think those that sail a lot of European itineraries and cater to families might wait until they see what Europe is doing before announcing blanket policies.

I meant the families who cancel will book a two week holiday in an Italian Villa, the Greek Islands or somewhere else.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Quite possibly, especially for US sailings. Some did operate as adult only during the summer, when DCL allowed under 18s on board unvaccinated, and they will probably continue to do so.

However I think those that sail a lot of European itineraries and cater to families might wait until they see what Europe is doing before announcing blanket policies.

I meant the families who cancel will book a two week holiday in an Italian Villa, the Greek Islands or somewhere else.
That makes sense. Although I fully expect the EU to follow suit in regards to pediatric vaccines. Not sure about the UK though.

twall0415

Sailing February 14th - Grandchild will be 5 February 2nd - Does she have to be vaccinated with the first shot before she can cruise?
It sounds like she would have to be fully vaccinated (14 days post second shot since the J&J isn't approved yet for children in that age group unless I'm mistaken) to be able to take the cruise since she will be at least age 5 at the time of sailing. But I would recommend reviewing the Disney Cruise site for the official information.

RememberWhen

Sailing February 14th - Grandchild will be 5 February 2nd - Does she have to be vaccinated with the first shot before she can cruise?
DCL site says:
Guests who are not vaccine-eligible because of age must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result (paid for by the Guest) taken between 3 days and 24 hours before their sail date.

Your grandchild won’t be eligible because of her age, at the time of her cruise. I’d definitely recommend getting the first shot, if possible, and bringing her vaccine card. But she’ll need to do the pre-cruise testing.

Mindy55

So what's the cancelation policy for kids that can't be vaccinated? We purchased tickets months ago and now they are requiring vaccines. My 7 year old can't medically get one so we need to cancel our cruise in April 2022.
Here are the details -

"We are pleased to share our plans for a phased relaunch of Disney Cruise Line.

Currently, Disney Cruise Line continues to require all vaccine-eligible Guests (based on US eligibility requirements) to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, as defined by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), at the time of sailing. This will be a requirement for all Guests (US and international) ages 5 and up for sailings beginning on or after January 13, 2022. Guests who are not vaccine-eligible because of age must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result (paid for by the Guest) taken between 3 days and 24 hours before their sail date. Guests ages 5 through 11 may complete this testing requirement in lieu of being fully vaccinated for sailings that depart before January 13, 2022.

Guests 4 years of age and under must complete the testing requirements. The test should be a NAAT test, rapid PCR test or lab-based PCR test. Rapid antigen tests are not accepted."

Here are the details -

"We are pleased to share our plans for a phased relaunch of Disney Cruise Line.

Currently, Disney Cruise Line continues to require all vaccine-eligible Guests (based on US eligibility requirements) to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, as defined by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), at the time of sailing. This will be a requirement for all Guests (US and international) ages 5 and up for sailings beginning on or after January 13, 2022. Guests who are not vaccine-eligible because of age must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result (paid for by the Guest) taken between 3 days and 24 hours before their sail date. Guests ages 5 through 11 may complete this testing requirement in lieu of being fully vaccinated for sailings that depart before January 13, 2022.

Guests 4 years of age and under must complete the testing requirements. The test should be a NAAT test, rapid PCR test or lab-based PCR test. Rapid antigen tests are not accepted."

When I received this notice, I immediately logged in and cancelled both our cruises. At least I still have the freedom to do that :(

ToTBellHop

Original Poster

It sounds like she would have to be fully vaccinated (14 days post second shot since the J&J isn't approved yet for children in that age group unless I'm mistaken) to be able to take the cruise since she will be at least age 5 at the time of sailing. But I would recommend reviewing the Disney Cruise site for the official information.

DCL site says:
Guests who are not vaccine-eligible because of age must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result (paid for by the Guest) taken between 3 days and 24 hours before their sail date.

Your grandchild won’t be eligible because of her age, at the time of her cruise. I’d definitely recommend getting the first shot, if possible, and bringing her vaccine card. But she’ll need to do the pre-cruise testing.
Guests turning 5 within 5 weeks of sailing can board with a negative PCR test administer 3 days to 24 hrs prior to sailing. Vaccination isn’t required in that specific case.

BillyGr

This also applies while the ships are in the US. Who knows what DCL will do once Magic crosses the Atlantic and begins her summer schedule. And who knows what the EMA and NHS will be recommending by then. I get the feeing that a hard summer might get them to open eligibility to the 5+ crowd.
Though it says that those not vaccine eligible due to age can use alternate options.
So, anyone booking from a country where younger children are not eligible could point that out to them (they may be 5 or up, but if their country doesn't offer vaccines to those under 12, 16 or whatever age it doesn't matter, they are still not eligible due to age).

nickys

Premium Member
Though it says that those not vaccine eligible due to age can use alternate options.
So, anyone booking from a country where younger children are not eligible could point that out to them (they may be 5 or up, but if their country doesn't offer vaccines to those under 12, 16 or whatever age it doesn't matter, they are still not eligible due to age).
DCL specifically say it’s under US age eligibility rules.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
All cruises are currently from America. You follow American rules (and laws, of course) when traveling to America. I don’t fly to Spain and demand that I pay only American sales tax rates.

nickys

Premium Member
All cruises are currently from America. You follow American rules (and laws, of course) when traveling to America. I don’t fly to Spain and demand that I pay only American sales tax rates.
That’s true.
However current rules for travelling to the US allow for the different policies in other countries and do not require vaccination for under 18s. These rules are DCL’s rules. And these rules apply to all cruises going forward, which includes cruises departing from Europe from late Spring / early Summer.

That said, DCL’s rules for the summer 2021 cruises from the U.K. followed UK guidelines and rules. So perhaps the rules will change for the European departures.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
That’s true.
However current rules for travelling to the US allow for the different policies in other countries and do not require vaccination for under 18s. These rules are DCL’s rules. And these rules apply to all cruises going forward, which includes cruises departing from Europe from late Spring / early Summer.

That said, DCL’s rules for the summer 2021 cruises from the U.K. followed UK guidelines and rules. So perhaps the rules will change for the European departures.
I was more suggesting that they leave from the US, where we vaccinate down to age 5.

I would expect different rules for the Europe season if they aren’t vaccinating kids by then.

Mindy55

Sadly we canceled our trip in April due to these mandates on our children. The good news is we received a full refund. To those wanting a verandah room...there is now one available. Enjoy the cruise to those still going!
We cancelled ours for last month and for this coming February. I just can’t in good conscious support Disney or any other corporation mandating something to this degree. For me, this is not about being / not being vaccinated (I am), but the audacity of any U.S corporation dictating such terms to me and my family. I’m absolutely appalled by this.

We cancelled ours for last month and for this coming February. I just can’t in good conscious support Disney or any other corporation mandating something to this degree. For me, this is not about being / not being vaccinated (I am), but the audacity of any U.S corporation dictating such terms to me and my family. I’m absolutely appalled by this.
This exactly. We are also fully vaccinated but no one can tell me what's best for my children or mandate a medical procedure that has no long term safety testing.

Mindy55

It went through the same steps any other vaccine has. What is missing is long term data on how long the vaccine remains effective. Hence why we now know the need for boosters.
I think we can all agree the vaccine did not go through the same steps, as other common (but never before mandated) vaccines. Vaccines normally go through years of trials and there is loads of data available. Obviously the approach here has been very different. I’m not suggesting it’s bad or good or anything. Like I stated earlier, for me, it’s the audacity of any corporation taking the stance of mandating such things.. I just can’t support it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I think we can all agree the vaccine did not go through the same steps, as other common (but never before mandated) vaccines. Vaccines normally go through years of trials and there is loads of data available. Obviously the approach here has been very different. I’m not suggesting it’s bad or good or anything. Like I stated earlier, for me, it’s the audacity of any corporation taking the stance of mandating such things.. I just can’t support it.
Actually, no, we can't agree at all. It went through the same steps, but was able to be proven effective and safe more quickly due to having tens of thousands of people to test it on. Most other vaccines have to take years to get to that many people. And yes, lots of other vaccines are mandated. Measles, polio, diphtheria, hepatitis b, and chickenpox are just a few.

Phonedave

No corporation is mandating that you do anything. They are stipulating the rules of using their service. If you want to go on a DCL cruise there are a number of rules that you and your kids must follow in order to board the ship. Being vaccinated is one of them. If you do not like ANY of the rules that they stipulate, then you are free to speak with your money (and voice if you so wish) and decline to use their services. But they are not mandating that you or your kids do anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom