Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

el_super

And since it literally just got posted... and I already had this page open: Carmen Smith just won an THEA aware from IAAPA:

1637091509425.png

Carmen Smith, Senior Vice President, Creative Development, Product/Content & Inclusive Strategies, Disney Parks, Experiences and Products​
In this senior executive role, Smith supports Walt Disney Imagineering, Disney Live Entertainment, Consumer Products, Games and Publishing. She leads a holistic, global strategy and approach to offering more inclusive products and experiences, and expand Disney’s reach, relevance and impact around the world.​
She advises on content to ensure that Disney’s stories, characters and products are culturally accurate, authentic and inclusive. She also cultivates external partnerships and collaborations, and ensures thoughtful representation and engagement throughout the creative development process. Additionally, she takes on the role of executive creative producer and executive creative director on select projects.​
Prior to this expended role, Smith was responsible for developing a diverse pipeline of experiences, global summits and culturally based competencies to advance equity and inclusion. Her influence has been felt across a global portfolio as she helped to elevate industry awareness and standards.​

Dear Prudence

It's interesting that you consider their word usage as purposeful and mindful, which is honestly just read to me like mindless regurgitation, saying a lot, but simultaneously absolutely nothing. (this is shade at them, not you, btw)
They put a lot of thought into the words they use, and they choose them all purposefully. Spicing something up is a sure fire way to enrage some group or another.

Part of the issue though is, as they keep touting this to different groups, they are communicating this message as if the audience is hearing it for the first time. It isn't really tailored for the audience that is soaking it up three or four or five times, desperate to hear any news about what is going on

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Part of the issue though is, as they keep touting this to different groups, they are communicating this message as if the audience is hearing it for the first time. It isn't really tailored for the audience that is soaking it up three or four or five times, desperate to hear any news about what is going on.
It’s really not that tough of a message to build on though even for first time audiences. If they had more to share they could still open with the company’s interest in promoting inclusion, then dovetail quickly into new concept art and even a generic timeline.

Possible quotes Disney could include (in the spirit of corporate vernacular) but has thus far chosen not to:

“Fans of the original attraction will still have another year to experience this attraction while Imagineers complete their work on this exciting new inclusive and innovative concept”, &/or

“After we complete the new transformation of ToonTown, we’re excited to finally begin work bring another new experience to Disneyland park on the other side of the park, along the rivers bend as an expansion of New Orleans Square”; &/or

“As Walt said Disneyland will never be complete, and with these new reimagined experiences we’re excited to continue to refresh the park for contemporary audiences over the coming few years all in the spirit of the existing “character” of Walt’s park - with an emphasis on classic characters of new and old.”

Dear Prudence

It’s really not that tough of a message to build on though even for first time audiences. If they had more to share they could still open with the company’s interest in promoting inclusion, then dovetail quickly into new concept art and even a generic timeline.

Possible quotes Disney could include (in the spirit of corporate vernacular) but has thus far chosen not to:

“Fans of the original attraction will still have another year to experience this attraction while Imagineers complete their work on this exciting new inclusive and innovative concept”, &/or

“After we complete the new transformation of ToonTown, we’re excited to finally begin work bring another new experience to Disneyland park on the other side of the park, along the rivers bend as an expansion of New Orleans Square”; &/or

“As Walt said Disneyland will never be complete, and with these new reimagined experiences we’re excited to continue to refresh the park for contemporary audiences over the coming few years all in the spirit of the existing “character” of Walt’s park - with an emphasis on classic characters of new and old.”
They need to hire you as one of their copywriters. Seriously.

el_super

It's interesting that you consider their word usage as purposeful and mindful, which is honestly just read to me like mindless regurgitation, saying a lot, but simultaneously absolutely nothing. (this is shade at them, not you, btw)

It's just sort of the way of the world now. They have to be careful what they say, so not to set off one group or the other. It's a really fine line to walk, when you're touting the importance of changing Splash Mountain, but you don't want to upset the people that consider themselves fans of the ride. You want people to be open to the change, and insulting them makes them less likely to be. It's in their best interest to say the words that have the highest potential to communicate without offense to all groups.

I think you missed some of the point here: new concept art and generic timeline are things that fans want to see. Specifically the fans that have already heard the Diversity and Inclusion spiel already. If it's not in Disney's interest to announce it during this conference of professionals, then they won't. It's not a matter of finding the right words, but the right timing.

There is a Destination D23 event coming up this weekend with a panel on the "Future of Disney Parks." I'm not saying that they are going to announce more at this event, but if they do, their silence up to this point would be justified because they felt they would add value to the event by making an exclusive announcement.

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

I saw that they bothered decorating Splash for Christmas. I always sort of wished they had decorated the queue area more. It would have been cute if all of the decorations were decoy traps for Brer shenanigans (a la the X-Box game). I'd like to think that the Xmas tree has hidden bees. :angelic:

Sharon&Susan

So what do we think the chances are that a closing date gets announced at D23 this weekend?
I think the chances are pretty much zip (-a-dee-doo-dah) considering the announcement of the entirety of Toontown. I'm not expecting the DL ride to close until after Mickey reopens and they have a brand new shiny D Ticket to distract people with for the summer.

Dear Prudence

Splash Mountain is closing for refurbishment on January 10, 2022. No end date was given. Most likely an annual refurbishment

This is part of the annual refurbishments. I talked to cast members about it a month or so ago. It's not going to be down for so long as normal, though.

SoCalDisneyLover

This is part of the annual refurbishments. I talked to cast members about it a month or so ago. It's not going to be down for so long as normal, though.
No, I think this is the real deal. Probably looking at a closure until 2023.

I wouldn't rely on the average cast member to know jack about what's going on. They'll be the last to know, even if they work the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom