Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Dear Prudence

If Disney is serious about representation in an ideal world this attraction should at least be on the level of AAs that are featured in the BaTB dark ride in Tokyo since this is a modern e-ticket and not a Cardboard flat aesthetic. In addition, I would assume some of the existing AS AAs will either be reskinned or refreshed. I’d also like to see Cal-OSHA compliant fall protection added, cement removal, and possibly a log redesign.

That doesn’t even start on the queue/exterior which would need to be redesigned to no longer look like a burrow/briar patch aesthetic.

This all requires an immense amount of planning to ensure this upgrade hits with guests. This is likely to take well over a year as is, there’s no reason to close the attraction when it’s still bringing in guests. At some point the reality of park operations has intersect with Disney’s newfound desire to promote inclusion.
The entire attraction is cement. They can take their time to make it a worthy E Ticket is should be.

Dear Prudence

Lol. King Louie was featured on Dancing with the Stars Disney night 2 nights ago and one of the judges literally said “Zip a Dee Doo Dah” (gasp!).

This is all performative for optics, but if they’re going to do it, they should at least do the ride justice, and do it right.
Say what anyone will about Zip, for a humble C Major little piece of music, it lends itself to such dynamic arrangements, from pop standard, orchestral and choral. I really missed it from key parts of the park during my visit last month. It really felt like there was a hole where it should be. Especially since it was replaced with Jungle Book. Are we getting rid of the Jungle Book or not? 🤣 it's been so iconic for years for a reason.

Do you think they'll shoehorn king Louis into the retheme? 🤣

Kirby86

Say what anyone will about Zip, for a humble C Major little piece of music, it lends itself to such dynamic arrangements, from pop standard, orchestral and choral. I really missed it from key parts of the park during my visit last month. It really felt like there was a hole where it should be. Especially since it was replaced with Jungle Book. Are we getting rid of the Jungle Book or not? 🤣 it's been so iconic for years for a reason.

Do you think they'll shoehorn king Louis into the retheme? 🤣
Sure but first they got to say sorry by puting more reimagine tomorrow ads on YouTube that people skip and on Facebook that people ignore.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I appreciate the specific examples of hypocrisy being mentioned in this conversation, but man, it's just not even necessary to point them out. Disney has no social justice leg to stand on, given their treatment of cast members and relationship with China. There's really no discussion to be had. The "not bossy, but boss!" ad is pure cringe.

Which begs the question... do the vociferously anti-Splash Mountain adult Disney fans on Twitter really believe Disney cares about inclusion, or are they just trolling us?

Dear Prudence

Which begs the question... do the vociferously anti-Splash Mountain adult Disney fans on Twitter really believe Disney cares about inclusion, or are they just trolling us?
It has nothing to do with justice, or about the rights and needs of BIPOC. It's literally about them and their massive egos and their need to be seen as better than the pro-Splash people. I am so sick of it. I am sick of that one podcast I will not advertise here/ the SF Gate pieces using Black and Native pain as MONETIZED clickbait. I am sick of that other person I refuse to name to centered himself in this conversation and used it to elevate his own wannabe Imag!neer career, all the while perpetuating stereotypes he doesn't even realize are, instead of passing the mic to people who need to be heard. It has nothing to do with Splash Mountain, it has nothing to do with Disney parks, it has absolutely nothing to do with the people whom this actually affects. They've taken an issue they don't belong in, made it all about themselves, and used it for their gain. Oh, and they purposely target people on the pro-Splash side who are Autistics. It's pitiful, honestly.

Brer Panther

It has nothing to do with justice, or about the rights and needs of BIPOC. It's literally about them and their massive egos and their need to be seen as better than the pro-Splash people. I am so sick of it. I am sick of that one podcast I will not advertise here/ the SF Gate pieces using Black and Native pain as MONETIZED clickbait. I am sick of that other person I refuse to name to centered himself in this conversation and used it to elevate his own wannabe Imag!neer career, all the while perpetuating stereotypes he doesn't even realize are, instead of passing the mic to people who need to be heard. It has nothing to do with Splash Mountain, it has nothing to do with Disney parks, it has absolutely nothing to do with the people whom this actually affects. They've taken an issue they don't belong in, made it all about themselves, and used it for their gain. Oh, and they purposely target people on the pro-Splash side who are Autistics. It's pitiful, honestly.
You're not referring to the same guy who I think you're referring to, are you?

Dear Prudence

You're not referring to the same guy who I think you're referring to, are you?
the same one who takes pictures of himself in a T!k! bar named after a Blackface caricature? Then you'd be correct! I am not asking people to be perfect. I just think that if you're going to center yourself somewhere you do not belong, at least have the self-reflexivity to be consistent? Too much to ask?

Anyway, back to Splash Mountain! :)

BuzzedPotatoHead89

the same one who takes pictures of himself in a T!k! bar named after a Blackface caricature? Then you'd be correct! I am not asking people to be perfect. I just think that if you're going to center yourself somewhere you do not belong, at least have the self-reflexivity to be consistent? Too much to ask?

Anyway, back to Splash Mountain! :)
Tiki bars are okay because alcohol is America’s pastime. Besides imagineering “fixed” the Trader Sam problem. 😉

In all honestly I do enjoy partaking in a Hippo-Potomai-tai Trader Sam’s myself. But the hypocrisy is funny.

Animaniac93-98

This all requires an immense amount of planning to ensure this upgrade hits with guests. This is likely to take well over a year as is, there’s no reason to close the attraction when it’s still bringing in guests. At some point the reality of park operations has intersect with Disney’s newfound desire to promote inclusion.

That and the obvious reality that most of those paying admission and visiting the parks right now, don't know or care about the change.

Dear Prudence

That and the obvious reality that most of those paying admission and visiting the parks right now, don't know or care about the change.
There was a YouTuber I won't name who made a BIG DEAL about NOT riding Splash Mountain (this was years ago), like somehow.... we were supposed to care? Like it was some huge moral undertaking for her, and ONLY SHE had the mental and emotional capacity to SAY NO to Splash Mountain.... but then also suggested it should be changed to the Jungle Book instead. 🥴 👀 Sucha great moral crusader. Like, ride it or don't, none of these issues even effect you, who is this performance even for?

I think people forget that this is such a niche issue, and people have other things to worry about......

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Tiana.png

So after comparing the two scenes, it really does become clear how possible it is that the redo takes only 2 years. Pull the SotS figs, plug Tiana/Naveen/Louis, add some shadow animals on the other bank, repaint and boom.
Thank you for coming to this TED talk

Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

8 months? Where did that timeline come from?

Disneyland’s Splash needs a LOT of work. It’s the least detailed, immersive, and coherent Splash to begin with — it needs extra investment to bring it up to contemporary standards. 8 months won’t cut it.

Then again, this is the same company currently discussing cutting food portion sizes to save a few bucks (and insulting guest waistlines while at it), so I’m not sure why I have any expectation for quality anymore.

Professortango1

View attachment 599920
So after comparing the two scenes, it really does become clear how possible it is that the redo takes only 8 months. Pull the SotS figs, plug Tiana/Naveen/Louis, add some shadow animals on the other bank, repaint and boom.
Mission BO took a year to change and that looks horribly tacked together with badly painted over set pieces, exposed lighting bolted to facades in the queue, and show scenes being replaced with simple screens.

Kirby86

When I saw that Concept Art I figured if Tiana on the rowboat was anywhere it would be in the Brer Rabbit trap scene in Disneyland I also like how they're just going to keep the logs. Buff out Brer Rabbit and boom we're done good as new.

SuddenStorm

View attachment 599920
So after comparing the two scenes, it really does become clear how possible it is that the redo takes only 8 months. Pull the SotS figs, plug Tiana/Naveen/Louis, add some shadow animals on the other bank, repaint and boom.

Kind of off topic- but in general I tend to think animatronics of animal type characters are far more realistic and age far better than animatronics of humans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom