One week until trip-have no idea what to expect

plawren2

Collectively in our family party with have 10+ lifetime WDW visits, including most recent in 2016. Plenty of experience and know WDW and parks very well. Staying at AoA, have our park day reservations and plans for how we plan to spend those days (we are a rope drop to close group). Read up on newest attractions, COVID restrictions (masks), and not using Genie app or Lightning Pass. But still much uncertainly as to what to expect in terms of crowds and lines. Any last minute advice or insight folks??? Thanks

plawren2

Original Poster
15 days for me and I really don't either, much less than any other visit. Just going in expecting things might be a little challenging and will be very different than even our last visit in 2017. At the end of the day, we'll make the best of it as overall we already planned on taking a different approach...not spending full day in parks, taking break in middle of the day for example.
yea planning and having a strategy is key, especially for families with young kids. Less hours and increase in crowds makes for a challenge, but manageable if you have plan and reasonable expectations

Upvote 0

plawren2

Original Poster
I was there Nov 5 - 13th and also stayed at AoA. I agree using the 30 min early entry is key. However, I also used genie plus and individual lightning lanes. So I also can answer anyone's questions.
yep, and we managed just fine without using Genie+ or buying Lightning Lane (can see the advantage, especially for families with kids but the cost was just not one we could justify given how expenses airline tickets were, plus the resort with tickets, the few dinners we booked, and the items and food we bought in the park, getting so very expensive and hard to keep those costs down

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
Hope you enjoy it we are doing our first HOliday trip in 12ish years. I am scared to death of how this G+ and Mobile Ordering system will wreck our normally lovely visits. If it wasnt for DW birthday on the 26th we wouldnt be going at that time.
Why are you concerned about mobile ordering? We’ve used it from its inception and always had very positive experiences.

Upvote 0

jpinkc

Why are you concerned about mobile ordering? We’ve used it from its inception and always had very positive experiences.
Have had several friends there since and including the 50th and they were not thrilled with the mobile ordering at all. Want Corndog Nuggets at 3 for a snack no spots left for the day, one wanted a Dole Whip and got told they could pick it up in 2 hours etc. Another ordered food and waited an hour after there pickup time and didnt get what they ordered but took it anyway because they were starving. So no I have not heard good things.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
Have had several friends there since and including the 50th and they were not thrilled with the mobile ordering at all. Want Corndog Nuggets at 3 for a snack no spots left for the day, one wanted a Dole Whip and got told they could pick it up in 2 hours etc. Another ordered food and waited an hour after there pickup time and didnt get what they ordered but took it anyway because they were starving. So no I have not heard good things.
I’ve never heard anything like this! Was this on the actual 50th anniversary day? Or maybe it’s different if you’re just getting snacks like Dole whips or corn dogs?

We’ve used mobile order on several trips and it’s always been a breeze. No more standing in long lines behind people trying to figure out what they want. Plus people can’t enter the seating area until they have food, so it’s much easier to find a table.

I don’t question anyone else’s experience, but there are a lot of positive reports too. Disney is really pushing guests to use mobile ordering - and from what we’ve seen most are doing it - so it’s hard to believe that what you’re describing is the norm.

Upvote 0

jpinkc

One of them was on the 50th I think that was the Dole whips. Others have been in weeks following. My wife reminded me of another one where the Mobile Ordering was down and they were refusing to take walk up orders because they said they couldnt, now with mobile order. I am very worried about next week when the parks are packed that this whole thing will be a trainwreck and ruin my DW's birthday trip

Upvote 0

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I’ve never heard anything like this! Was this on the actual 50th anniversary day? Or maybe it’s different if you’re just getting snacks like Dole whips or corn dogs?

We’ve used mobile order on several trips and it’s always been a breeze. No more standing in long lines behind people trying to figure out what they want. Plus people can’t enter the seating area until they have food, so it’s much easier to find a table.

I don’t question anyone else’s experience, but there are a lot of positive reports too. Disney is really pushing guests to use mobile ordering - and from what we’ve seen most are doing it - so it’s hard to believe that what you’re describing is the norm.
We had an easy time ordering in February but our food was always stale and cold. It made no sense. We would order, clicked "we are here" and walk in to the window and get it. It shouldn't even had time to get cold. I was obviously pre made.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
We had an easy time ordering in February but our food was always stale and cold. It made no sense. We would order, clicked "we are here" and walk in to the window and get it. It shouldn't even had time to get cold. I was obviously pre made.
I'm not sure that has anything to do with mobile ordering, though. Since the pandemic, all menus have been stripped down to the point where there are only a few choices that can be prepared with very limited staff and ingredients, which makes it simple to figure out what people are going to order and then have it ready too soon. I"m not getting into whether this kind of thing was made necessary by the pandemic-related labor and supply shortages or whether Disney is using that as an excuse because I don't think anyone really knows at this point. People will argue it to the death regardless.

Upvote 0

plawren2

Original Poster
we were in WDW and used several times with no issue, earlier issues may have been due to lack of staff but as visitors increase so has staff

Upvote 0

plawren2

Original Poster
if interested and you have been following my original post here, you can find my post trip report here (look in trip reports thread)

"Early days....long days...crowds and rain..."​

Upvote 0

Redhawk

Husband and I canceled our trip last night. Originally booked for December 7 to 10. Several reasons, biggest is that my mom is nominated to be the person inducted into the "Hall of Fame" this year in the county where I grew up. And just coincidentally the banquet will be on one of the nights we would be in Orlando. The committee making the decision will not meet and issue their decision until tomorrow morning :confused:, and the deadline for canceling our reservation at the Dolphin and get our Marriott Bonvoy points back was midnight tonight :(. Hoping my mom will be the chosen person (she really deserves it), we canceled so that I can be there with her.

But also, we just weren't that excited to go. 😟 The weather forecast looks great, and I imagined our excitement once we arrived, yet somehow we weren't feeling good anticipation energy. Maybe it's the mild stress of Christmas approaching quickly, or the mild annoyance about Genie+ and LL and having to use my phone all day long in the parks, or the very mild concern about Omicron and the ongoing reductions in service that Disney blames on Covid. Likely an accumulation of all those. We clicked "cancel" and will think about rescheduling for January or February, when we will need the sun and warmth. We hope everyone going soon will have a wonderful, magical vacation!

Upvote 0

plawren2

Original Poster
Husband and I canceled our trip last night. Originally booked for December 7 to 10. Several reasons, biggest is that my mom is nominated to be the person inducted into the "Hall of Fame" this year in the county where I grew up. And just coincidentally the banquet will be on one of the nights we would be in Orlando. The committee making the decision will not meet and issue their decision until tomorrow morning :confused:, and the deadline for canceling our reservation at the Dolphin and get our Marriott Bonvoy points back was midnight tonight :(. Hoping my mom will be the chosen person (she really deserves it), we canceled so that I can be there with her.

But also, we just weren't that excited to go. 😟 The weather forecast looks great, and I imagined our excitement once we arrived, yet somehow we weren't feeling good anticipation energy. Maybe it's the mild stress of Christmas approaching quickly, or the mild annoyance about Genie+ and LL and having to use my phone all day long in the parks, or the very mild concern about Omicron and the ongoing reductions in service that Disney blames on Covid. Likely an accumulation of all those. We clicked "cancel" and will think about rescheduling for January or February, when we will need the sun and warmth. We hope everyone going soon will have a wonderful, magical vacation!
yea there certainly are many issues, questions and challenges around planning WDW trip these days. And I see why many may have second thoughts and need to change plans giving all the uncertainty around so many aspects of WDW visits currently. Hope your family does get to take a trip in the future.

Upvote 0

plawren2

Original Poster
How have actual wait times been compared to posted wait times the past couple weeks?
I can only speak to Nov 10-14 where it seemed in most cases posted wait times were same or close to actual wait times, its tough as once in line a lot can happen to increase or decrease wait time that can not be predicted, if anything they may be shorter but not by a lot; get into park as soon as you can (use 1/2 hr EMH) and/or get in line right before park closes, seemed to be best strategy as by mid morning lines got a lot longer very fast-unless you use Genie+ and LL which we did not.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom