One week until trip-have no idea what to expect

plawren2

Collectively in our family party with have 10+ lifetime WDW visits, including most recent in 2016. Plenty of experience and know WDW and parks very well. Staying at AoA, have our park day reservations and plans for how we plan to spend those days (we are a rope drop to close group). Read up on newest attractions, COVID restrictions (masks), and not using Genie app or Lightning Pass. But still much uncertainly as to what to expect in terms of crowds and lines. Any last minute advice or insight folks??? Thanks

nickys

Premium Member
If you can get to the parks 30 minutes before the early entry starts (60 minutes before official park opening), you can get one or two headliners done before the crowds catch up with you. Look for the early entry lines at the tapstiles (Hub at MK) to scan through.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Knowing the parks, having the rope drop to closing plan in place and keeping up on whats new youve got an excellent start. I'd say just be flexible in how you approach each day and what youll be encountering. There will be a very different feel to the parks from 2016 and now. Crowds, lines and wait times will impact you more presently than what you had before. People are being more short tempered in the parks as well. Dining wise, if you are doing mobile ordering, its a simple process but time your meals for better access, be prepared for more waits for food delivery and finding less table space.
Being experienced and prepared youll be further ahead than most guests and youll have a pleasant experience knowing how a Disney day goes. Enjoy your trip back.

Upvote 0

Tom 55

I was at Disney World 9/21 to 9/28. Even thought the crowd levels were listed as 1 to 2 most days. There were longer than usual wait times. I think it was because all of the things that were not open due to Covid. In MK Story Time with Bell, Ariel's Grotto and Tinkerbell's meet and greet. All the other places to meet character. Still no parades. Since then you can now sorta meet Mickey and Minnie. Princesss hall has also opened. I felt that with all the things that were closed concentrated crowds at what was open. All the parks were the same. Did not feel like the usual Disney visit. I have been to Disney World 25+ times in the last 42 years.

Upvote 0

plawren2

Original Poster
I was at Disney World 9/21 to 9/28. Even thought the crowd levels were listed as 1 to 2 most days. There were longer than usual wait times. I think it was because all of the things that were not open due to Covid. In MK Story Time with Bell, Ariel's Grotto and Tinkerbell's meet and greet. All the other places to meet character. Still no parades. Since then you can now sorta meet Mickey and Minnie. Princesss hall has also opened. I felt that with all the things that were closed concentrated crowds at what was open. All the parks were the same. Did not feel like the usual Disney visit. I have been to Disney World 25+ times in the last 42 years.
Yea we are all going into this realizing its not going to be the WDW visit we once had, trying to keep expectations realistic. I think its the challenges, masks, increase in crowds, no FP, adding Genie app is creating a feeling of some uncertainty. But we are going to focus on what we enjoy and want most to do, and manage crowds and lines if they are severe as best as we can. Going because of 50th and my visit was as young kid in December 1971. And this likely will be our last family trip to WDW (or for my wife and I) for some time. We just have other travel priorities now. Getting too expensive, more complex to schedule and plan, for us. Glad we can go this trip and for the opportunities we took in past when we were all younger and experience was in many ways better and easier.

Upvote 0

wendysue

We are about a week away from our next trip and I still haven't packed and am struggling with canceling. I guess if it's this close and I'm still not excited it's probably not worth spending the money. ☹️

Upvote 0

Thumbelina

Collectively in our family party with have 10+ lifetime WDW visits, including most recent in 2016. Plenty of experience and know WDW and parks very well. Staying at AoA, have our park day reservations and plans for how we plan to spend those days (we are a rope drop to close group). Read up on newest attractions, COVID restrictions (masks), and not using Genie app or Lightning Pass. But still much uncertainly as to what to expect in terms of crowds and lines. Any last minute advice or insight folks??? Thanks
Dont let the long times fool you! I am not sure if they are still doing the 6ft distancing but the lines moved very quick. They started to have us que up for the Emporium at the end of the night.. the line seems intimidating but it moved fast. Since you guys have been here before I would still plan a top things to do list. It seems like getting food takes a lot longer now then it did back then. So just bring your patience and even if some quick service seems to be doing mobile order you can still walk up and place your orders for food. Hope you have a magical trip !!

Upvote 0

plawren2

Original Poster
We are about a week away from our next trip and I still haven't packed and am struggling with canceling. I guess if it's this close and I'm still not excited it's probably not worth spending the money. ☹️
not even sure you can cancel and get 100% refund this close to dates

Upvote 0

plawren2

Original Poster
Dont let the long times fool you! I am not sure if they are still doing the 6ft distancing but the lines moved very quick. They started to have us que up for the Emporium at the end of the night.. the line seems intimidating but it moved fast. Since you guys have been here before I would still plan a top things to do list. It seems like getting food takes a lot longer now then it did back then. So just bring your patience and even if some quick service seems to be doing mobile order you can still walk up and place your orders for food. Hope you have a magical trip !!
thanks, yea we have a short list of definites planned, Rise of the Resistance is one we are still strategizing about. We are not planning on any breakfast or lunch quick counter service, will bring in or buy snacks as needed mid day, we have reserved sit down dinners already set for one big meal each day-saves time and money!

Upvote 0

Redhawk

I'm starting to feel the same about our (husband and I) short trip in early December. Waiting until December 1 because by then we will have learned if a previously unexpected family-member event will happen on one of the nights of our trip. If so, we'll definitely cancel/postpone our (completely refundable) trip in order to attend. If not, we'll then look at the weather forecast and decide. I hope at that point, if the weather looks to be good, we'll perk up and start packing. If not, uh, I think we'll still go through with it.🤔 I'm sure once we see the Disney theme in the Orlando airport we'll get excited. But I'm not thrilled by Genie+ and LL and having to use MDE on my phone so much.

Upvote 0

plawren2

Original Poster
I'm starting to feel the same about our (husband and I) short trip in early December. Waiting until December 1 because by then we will have learned if a previously unexpected family-member event will happen on one of the nights of our trip. If so, we'll definitely cancel/postpone our (completely refundable) trip in order to attend. If not, we'll then look at the weather forecast and decide. I hope at that point, if the weather looks to be nice, we'll get excited. If not, uh, I think we'll go through with it.🤔 I'm sure once we see the Disney theme in the Orlando airport we'll get excited. But I'm not thrilled by Genie+ and LL and having to use MDE on my phone so much.
We are in WDW this week for 5 days and have no plans to use Genie+ or LL or MDE while in parks-will report back after trip how that worked out in terms of our experience and getting into attractions without huge waits.

Upvote 0

Redhawk

We are in WDW this week for 5 days and have no plans to use Genie+ or LL or MDE while in parks-will report back after trip how that worked out in terms of our experience and getting into attractions without huge waits.
Thanks! I'll look for your report. We're going at a traditionally "light" crowd time, as we always do, yet somehow I anticipate it will be more crowded than expected, and due to new Genie+ and LL, Covid closures and changes, a lot more stressful. We don't go to WDW to stress.

Upvote 0

jpinkc

Hope you enjoy it we are doing our first HOliday trip in 12ish years. I am scared to death of how this G+ and Mobile Ordering system will wreck our normally lovely visits. If it wasnt for DW birthday on the 26th we wouldnt be going at that time.

Upvote 0

wendysue

I'm starting to feel the same about our (husband and I) short trip in early December. Waiting until December 1 because by then we will have learned if a previously unexpected family-member event will happen on one of the nights of our trip. If so, we'll definitely cancel/postpone our (completely refundable) trip in order to attend. If not, we'll then look at the weather forecast and decide. I hope at that point, if the weather looks to be good, we'll perk up and start packing. If not, uh, I think we'll still go through with it.🤔 I'm sure once we see the Disney theme in the Orlando airport we'll get excited. But I'm not thrilled by Genie+ and LL and having to use MDE on my phone so much.
Well, we have decided to cancel. I was worried about losing the money for the Christmas party tics but was told that I can use the credit towards future tickets...AP's or regular tickets. We agreed that it was too big an expense to keep questioning if we really wanted to go. Will watch and see how all this Genie, LL, etc shenanigans goes. 😒

Upvote 0

wendysue

not even sure you can cancel and get 100% refund this close to dates
We have a room only AP reservation so can cancel within 5 days with no penalty. Airfare good for a year on Southwest. Christmas party tickets stay on MDE as a credit towards any future ticket purchase...AP's or regular tickets, but not looking to renew AP's so maybe just a few days in the future. Just can't justify going when we have to talk ourselves into it. Feels weird because we used to go at least twice a year.

Upvote 0

plawren2

Original Poster
just a quick update (having returned home late last night), we managed the crowds and wet/cloudy weather during Nov 10-14 trip, and yes parks were busy-mid day waits on major attractions typically 60-min++, but getting to parks before opening and taking advantage of 1/2 early hour was key to ability to do and see all that we wanted, including our traditional favorites but also newest attractions of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (WOW!!) and Avatar Flight of Passage (WOW!!!!). Will post longer trip report later, but if anyone had questions that I could help with please free free to post. We are experienced WDW visitors (13 lifetime, including 5 since 2010 with last previous trip in 2016), this trip was 5 nights at AoA, and no use of Genie app or Lightning Lane-researched but never purchased.

Upvote 0

lief13

just a quick update (having returned home late last night), we managed the crowds and wet/cloudy weather during Nov 10-14 trip, and yes parks were busy-mid day waits on major attractions typically 60-min++, but getting to parks before opening and taking advantage of 1/2 early hour was key to ability to do and see all that we wanted, including our traditional favorites but also newest attractions of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (WOW!!) and Avatar Flight of Passage (WOW!!!!). Will post longer trip report later, but if anyone had questions that I could help with please free free to post. We are experienced WDW visitors (13 lifetime, including 5 since 2010 with last previous trip in 2016), this trip was 5 nights at AoA, and no use of Genie app or Lightning Lane-researched but never purchased.
I was there Nov 5 - 13th and also stayed at AoA. I agree using the 30 min early entry is key. However, I also used genie plus and individual lightning lanes. So I also can answer anyone's questions.

Upvote 0

Stevek

15 days for me and I really don't either, much less than any other visit. Just going in expecting things might be a little challenging and will be very different than even our last visit in 2017. At the end of the day, we'll make the best of it as overall we already planned on taking a different approach...not spending full day in parks, taking break in middle of the day for example.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom