News Disney plans to include a black Santa Claus at Walt Disney World this year as the company continues its diversity and inclusion program

mikejs78

Premium Member
Putting aside the fact that the company that charges mucho $$$$ to have access yet pushes for inclusivity is a complete joke. I really don’t think or see how anyone would be upset or offended by this. But you have to wonder why they just didn’t do this, instead of making it a PR spectacle which would invariably invite the unneeded ginned up controversy.

Inclusion would have been doing this with out the fanfare. Pandering is making big self promoting marketing message about something that honestly the vast majority of people would have no problem with.

So first you criticize Disney for doing this as a "press release" and making a media spectacle out of this, and then say that what they should have done is do this with no fanfare if they want to be inclusive.
How is it a PR spectacle? Its an article just like everything else they do.

It’s a press release given to the media, which like everything these days will be made political and therefore controversial so that it can attract clicks and views.

Then when people ask what PR spectacle, you go on about how everything is about clicks and views.
It's not a press release. Literally says so in the article.

"Disney is yet to make an announcement about diversifying the representation of Santa Claus at Walt Disney World, and details here should be treated as speculation."

Then multiple people point out that this was not a press release and not announced by Disney, thereby doing the exact thing you suggested would be more inclusive.
So it’s a press release waiting to be dropped then.

Steve doesn’t put out rampant speculation on this site unlike other unscrupulous sites. If he’s putting it out I’d put money on it that this is happening.

Then you jump to the conclusion that, well, of there wasn't a press release, there will be!
What PR spectacle has been made?

So your saying Disney is just going to do this and not make some type of self promoting announcement about it?

I don’t think there will be an announcement.

Then Steve points out that he doesn't think there will be an announcement, thereby doing exactly what you originally suggested.
Call me surprised then coming from the company that always uses its many traditional and social media outlets to promote themelves. I mean they had their PR flack in Imagineering waxing poetic about the deep life impact of floor tiles in the Epcot gift shop on Instagram.

And so then instead of maybe admitting that you were wrong, and that maybe Disney is doing something good here, you go on to criticize them about floor tiles.

Seriously, can you ever give Disney credit for anything? They did exactly what you thought they should do, and you can't even compliment them on that. This is the perfect illustration that Disney can do absolutely no right in your eyes, which kind of gives your other criticisms less weight, and frankly gets a little tiring. Seriously, can you give Disney a real compliment, even just this once?

G00fyDad

Not to burst your bubble but you do realize that a lot of people from history both fiction and nonfiction that are depicted as White were not actually White don't you? You don't really believe that Jesus was the only White dude around Jerusalem 2000 years ago do you? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you have to have a conversation with your child because there's a Black Santa Claus it's probably because you need to have a conversation with your child.

Dear Prudence

The actual Saint Nicholas of Myra is depicted as a relatively dark tan man from Turkey (which is was at the time still Grecian territory), unlike the Coca Cola Santa. Like @monothingie said, they could have done this without fanfare and acting like we are supposed to reward them.

Because at the end of the day, it's not about the fact that a Black actor gets to play Santa (which is pretty cool, honestly), it's about them and their massive egos.

correcaminos

Our current conceptualization of Santa came from a Coca Cola ad campaign that started in the 1920's.
Yup, this might be a very good image of how St. Nicholas looked

Many paintings from the past don't have him looking really white either

The actual Saint Nicholas of Myra is depicted as a relatively dark tan man from Turkey (which is was at the time still Grecian territory), unlike the Coca Cola Santa. Like @monothingie said, they could have done this without fanfare and acting like we are supposed to reward them.

Because at the end of the day, it's not about the fact that a Black actor gets to play Santa (which is pretty cool, honestly), it's about them and their massive egos.
This wasn't their presser though.

Disney Glimpses

My only issue is it could be confusing for young kids who still believe in Santa. Many communities have a version of Santa in malls, etc. that are consistent with the Santas that kids are taught in their homes (that are consistent with their race). And they can go and visit those Santas at a time of their choosing. I think this is a unique issue because belief is a major component of this. I think Disney would be better off removing Santa altogether and give parents more control over their kids belief in Santa.

Black kids/parents face the problem all of America right now because we continue to promote white Santa.

JIMINYCR

Disneys waayyy behind the times. Its been done long go. I say its about time. Im surprised theyve waited this long.
da1cb3a39b074d82eef8db1b8f2895cf.jpg

Now maybe they will feature my favorite style Santa.
Happy-New-Year-Santa-Claus-girl-HD-Wallpaper-1920x1200-915x515.jpeg

Gringrinngghost

I think we need an Indian Santa.
Define Indian. Are we talking about an Indian as in the republic of India where there is a lot of Indian Diaspora or are we talking about Indigenous Americans?

Because if we are talking about the latter, 9 chances out of 10 some portrayer of Santa will claim they are 1/16th Cherokee or a popular one in Florida Blackfoot (but this is for other reasons) and not have any heritage linking to the Cherokee Nation, Keetoowah Band or Eastern Band.

Bonus fact 1: You need to be 1/4th and have documents directly linking you to someone of the Dawes Roll for to actually be able to sign up the Cherokee Nation, Keetoowah Band or Eastern Band.

Bonus Fact 2: Blackfoot tribes are people of the Northern Plains, Montana and Alberta, Canada. They were never part of the trail of tears so they during this time wouldn't be linked to the Cherokee, and given the prominence of this claim in the southern states. More specifically the ones of the confederacy, where one is proud of their confederate heritage, it was more so their ancestors covering up the African bloodline that is in their past.

Signed - An actual indigenous person.

DisneyCane

Santa is only white because of your experiences and where you live. The original St. Nick did not look white.
Santa wasn't based on St. Nicholas for appearance. The gift giving part was. The character being discussed here was a character that was created in Europe.

Things like this create more division than they do inclusion. I would fully support Disney coming up with a new character for a Christmas special who is Black or Hispanic and then including that character at WDW. That would be inclusive.

sullyinMT

Our current conceptualization of Santa came from a Coca Cola ad campaign that started in the 1920's.
Which was based on the description in ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas printed about 100 years earlier. But your point stands, the Western “Santa” is a fairly modern concept that arose when inclusion wasn’t a goal of society.

Ultimately, if he brings gifts and joy, kids don’t care what his skin tone is. Or probably whether or not he’s even a “he,” if we’re honest.

dreday3

Santa wasn't based on St. Nicholas for appearance. The gift giving part was. The character being discussed here was a character that was created in Europe.

Things like this create more division than they do inclusion. I would fully support Disney coming up with a new character for a Christmas special who is Black or Hispanic and then including that character at WDW. That would be inclusive.

No, it's only a problem that creates division for a certain few.

I'm willing to bet most people won't even bat an eyelash at a Black Santa.
HE'S NOT REAL. His skin color can be any color.

Maybe Santa's daughter took over the business, who cares! :D

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Not to burst your bubble but you do realize that a lot of people from history both fiction and nonfiction that are depicted as White were not actually White don't you?
"Not White" doesn't mean "Black."

A black Jesus would be just as inaccurate as a blonde-hair, blue-eyed Jesus.

You're not fixing anything by being equally wrong in the opposite direction.

Disney Glimpses

I actually wasn't being sarcastic. See my previous post. I want them to include more races
Thank you for clarifying, apologies for my assumption. I agree with that notion but I do think it could be confusing for kids who are taught to believe he is one, real person. I think removing him is better overall.

G00fyDad

"Not White" doesn't mean "Black."

A black Jesus would be just as inaccurate as a blonde-hair, blue-eyed Jesus.

You're not fixing anything by being equally wrong in the opposite direction.
Neither are you by ONCE AGAIN making an assumption (wrongly) about what I posted. But yeah, keep going with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom