News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Substantial = 50-99.99 New cases per 100,000 persons in the past 7 days according to the CDC definition

50/100,000 = 0.0005

0.0005 x 100 = .05

It's 0.05% of the population testing positive over the past 7 days that the CDC ridiculously considers "substantial" community transmission.
I thought you were talking about test positivity. Sorry.

DisneyCane

I thought you were talking about test positivity. Sorry.
No worries. Positivity only needs to be below 5% for the low community spread category (combined with under 10 cases per 100k per 7 days).

I think it is cray that they consider it to be "substantial" community spread when, in Disney terms, of all the people who ride RotR in a 12 hour day, a TOTAL of maybe 10 are likely to be COVID positive.

Touchdown

No worries. Positivity only needs to be below 5% for the low community spread category (combined with under 10 cases per 100k per 7 days).

I think it is cray that they consider it to be "substantial" community spread when, in Disney terms, of all the people who ride RotR in a 12 hour day, a TOTAL of maybe 10 are likely to be COVID positive.
When the R0 for delta is between 5-9, Let’s just say 7, Numbers grow out of control quickly when multiplying by 7. 10 turns into 70 on the next cycle, then 490, then 3,430. That can happen in a month, and why you put stop gaps in early. Masks reduce and slow spread. Getting R0 lower is the goal.

DisneyCane

When the R0 for delta is between 5-9, Let’s just say 7, Numbers grow out of control quickly when multiplying by 7. 10 turns into 70 on the next cycle, then 490, then 3,430. That can happen in a month, and why you put stop gaps in early. Masks reduce and slow spread. Getting R0 lower is the goal.
The CDC categories for community transmission are for the current level, not a projection. Also, the numbers don't continue to grow out of control in perpetuity even with no change in mitigation strategies and not much increase in the percentage vaccinated.

There wasn't a sudden, significant increase in masking in FL in the middle of August. From the beginning of the Delta spike through last Thursday, only an additional 14.4% of the population of FL got at least one shot bringing the total to 63.7% of residents with at least one shot which is WAY below the calculation for what you need for herd immunity with a virus with the R0 of Delta.

ltc.jpg

Touchdown

The CDC categories for community transmission are for the current level, not a projection. Also, the numbers don't continue to grow out of control in perpetuity even with no change in mitigation strategies and not much increase in the percentage vaccinated.

There wasn't a sudden, significant increase in masking in FL in the middle of August. From the beginning of the Delta spike through last Thursday, only an additional 14.4% of the population of FL got at least one shot bringing the total to 63.7% of residents with at least one shot which is WAY below the calculation for what you need for herd immunity with a virus with the R0 of Delta.

View attachment 599129
The inciting event to Florida was delta arriving, if you take restrictions off too early you get a spike in cases. Just because cases are going down now, doesn’t mean it will continue. That’s why the recommendations are so slow you never know when something is going to change.

Casper Gutman

It’s fairly simple: unvaxxed people should wear masks and fully vaxxed people don’t really have to. But unvaxxed people can’t be trusted to be honest or to act for the good of the public (one of the most famous athletes in America proved that this week). And because we can’t distinguish between the vaxxed and unvaxxed, the only way to make sure the unvaxxed wear masks is for everyone to have to wear masks. This stinks, but anger shouldn’t be directed at those imposing the mask mandate but at those making it necessary.

Vegas Disney Fan

You want to go to Disney? Wear a mask. You want air travel? Wear a mask. What’s to understand here? I went to WDW last week and had a wonderful time.

We just got back and had a wonderful time also, masks are a minor inconvenience but are a small price to pay to enjoy a WDW vacation, even though masks aren’t a big deal I’d rather not have the small inconvenience if given the choice.

Last edited:

ABQ

The inciting event to Florida was delta arriving, if you take restrictions off too early you get a spike in cases. Just because cases are going down now, doesn’t mean it will continue. That’s why the recommendations are so slow you never know when something is going to change.
Where, aside from WDW, in FL is there a significant presence of restrictions at this time?

Last edited:

DisneyCane

I don't expect the case numbers to continue to go down forever. I expect for the rest of my life there will be waves of varying degrees of COVID at least once a year. With vaccines available to all 5 and over, I shouldn't have to wear an annoying mask at WDW (or anywhere else) every time there is a wave.

I cringe at the dopey, on-ride photos with my face covered by the stupid thing. If it wasn't still included for the rest of the period of my prior Gold AP, I wouldn't consider paying for photopass to end up with those photos.

Disstevefan1

If Oriental Land Company who manages the Japan Disney parks is a buyer then that will be a good thing. The guest service, cleanliness , operation of the Japan parks compared to the domestic parks are like day and night.
Agreed, the Japan Disneyparks are the best in the world.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't expect the case numbers to continue to go down forever. I expect for the rest of my life there will be waves of varying degrees of COVID at least once a year. With vaccines available to all 5 and over, I shouldn't have to wear an annoying mask at WDW (or anywhere else) every time there is a wave.

I cringe at the dopey, on-ride photos with my face covered by the stupid thing. If it wasn't still included for the rest of the period of my prior Gold AP, I wouldn't consider paying for photopass to end up with those photos.
While we agree on masks I gotta say we got a TON of great photopass photos this trip. Last year we had masks on in all our photos, this year we don’t in 90% of them, its not perfect but that’s a huge step forward in my book.

DisneyCane

While we agree on masks I gotta say we got a TON of great photopass photos this trip. Last year we had masks on in all our photos, this year we don’t in 90% of them, its not perfect but that’s a huge step forward in my book.
As a passholder who takes multiple trips each year we don't tend to get many of the posed family pictures so I can see where you are coming from. For us, 99% of the photopass photos are on-ride.

ABQ

Just because the rest of Florida isn’t following CDC guidelines doesn’t mean Disney shouldn’t.
That wasn't my point at all. My point was in response to the statement that removing restrictions now may cause cases to rise or spike. Do you really believe that WDW's current rules are what is keeping the cases down when places like Uni and Sea World don't have the same rules?

DisneyCane

Just because the rest of Florida isn’t following CDC guidelines doesn’t mean Disney shouldn’t.
I don't know. It seems that many of the parts of FL that are doing less following of CDC guidelines have come down to "moderate" spread sooner. They may have been in worse shape a couple of months ago but nothing indicates that there is any benefit to Disney continuing to follow the guidelines at this point.

ltc.jpg

Chi84

Premium Member
And because we can’t distinguish between the vaxxed and unvaxxed, the only way to make sure the unvaxxed wear masks is for everyone to have to wear masks.

Just because some people are throwing fits over proof of vaccine requirements doesn’t mean we (the ones who are vaccinated and doing all we can to end this thing) have to give in to them and continue to mask with no end in sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom