News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I remember the first time I brought my kids to Disney. It still brings a tear to my eyes. Unfortunately, due to outrageous pricing that chance may only happen once in their kid's childhood. I couldn't imagine wasting that one experience (not to mention money) right now with this mask policy; not especially when it will almost certainly be gone in a few months or so. So I don't think Disney is going to go bankrupt over the mask policy but as you said, people are absolutely (and reasonably) not going because of it.

I think a couple of things here might be getting tangled…

1. around these parts we’ve been talking about how they’ve moved away from the “steady” clientele to the one time or seldom targets for 10+ Years…and that is obviously true.

2. But they aren’t going for the “one time on a budget”…that absolutely is not their goal and doesn’t increase their per guest return.

So both things can be true and false.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are people that are more conservative when it comes to the virus than me, then you have people on the other extreme that didn't even think the virus was real or thought it was the same as the flu. I kinda struggled with the decision, but the fact that the virus is way less likely to affect kids has me hoping that they take the requirement away for all rides, or even to not require masks for children before my trip in 2 weeks. I am fine wearing a mask, but when you take a picture or video of a child during this once in a lifetime trip for some, you miss so much of their expression with the mask.
I think you missed something…

like what the masks were for in the first place.

Other than that…the masks will probably go. Maybe Bob the slap thinks it’s hurting his 50th rake (it really hasn’t…he’s an idiot) and drop them Saturday? Or maybe legal tells them to ride out the winter?

we shall see.

bdearl41

As an avid mask wearer, I disagree with the first part of your statement. Most of the people, myself included, will not go to Disney until COVID becomes truly endemic whether Disney requires masks or not. I think a lot of people who are "COVID fatigued" and are throwing caution to the wind aren't going to Disney because of masks. Just my 2 cents.
This includes my family of four. We are scheduled for May. First trip since the pandemic. Will not go if masks are a thing. I have to wear it all day at work, fully vaccinated. Not gonna do it on vacation. Sorry

corsairk09

https:///2021/10/disneyland-paris-major-change-face-mask-policy-kc1/

"To promote the health and safety of guests and Cast Members, guests aged 6 and older will be required to wear a protective face mask at all times, in Disney Parks, Disney Hotels, all indoor locations at Disney Village and Golf Disneyland. Guests can temporarily remove their masks only when eating or when taking a picture at designated outdoor Selfie Spot locations. All Cast Members and third-party operators will continue to wear face masks in all indoor and outdoor locations across the resort."

This is the requirement for Paris. THe only real difference now is the 6yo vs 2yo...... why is it 6yo in Paris I have no idea. Just further evidence that Disney is going along with local authorities.

My guess is we will see a statement soon.

But who knows?

disneygeek90

https:///2021/10/disneyland-paris-major-change-face-mask-policy-kc1/

"To promote the health and safety of guests and Cast Members, guests aged 6 and older will be required to wear a protective face mask at all times, in Disney Parks, Disney Hotels, all indoor locations at Disney Village and Golf Disneyland. Guests can temporarily remove their masks only when eating or when taking a picture at designated outdoor Selfie Spot locations. All Cast Members and third-party operators will continue to wear face masks in all indoor and outdoor locations across the resort."

This is the requirement for Paris. THe only real difference now is the 6yo vs 2yo...... why is it 6yo in Paris I have no idea. Just further evidence that Disney is going along with local authorities.

My guess is we will see a statement soon.

But who knows?
The realest difference (from here) is that it's required at all times, even outside. I still have very few issues with masks indoors and really don't get the resistance. Paris is cold now anyway so perhaps the masks are kind of nice.

corsairk09

The realest difference (from here) is that it's required at all times, even outside. I still have very few issues with masks indoors and really don't get the resistance. Paris is cold now anyway so perhaps the masks are kind of nice.
The masks did always keep my face warm........

Tom P.

My prediction for what I think Disney *will* do, and not a discussion of what they *should* do, is that we will see an announcement that masks are optional at Walt Disney World except on public transportation within 48 hours of Orange County's lifting of the state of emergency.

Stitch826

A reminder: masks don’t hurt business…an idiot ceo and dumb prices hurt business 👍🏻
PSA for today
I’m currently at Disney for the first time since the pandemic. Though the crowds have been fairly light so far this week, I definitely won’t return again if there is a mask requirement. Even in late October, it’s far too humid to wear a mask, even indoors. Not to mention that it feels like the A/C has barely worked on the monorails and half the buses I’ve been on. I mentioned the other night that we couldn’t find any Disney masks in any shops. Today we finally found some in one shop in the Contemporary behind the arcade. $20 for a set of two- one Mickey, one Minnie.

CntrlFlPete

Mask question for those who have been to WDW recently… where can you buy face masks at WDW (in the parks or resorts)? Brought some washable ones and a couple packs of cheap disposable masks with us, but quite possibly may run out before the trip is over. Haven’t had any luck finding any for sale other than a vending machine selling disposable ones for $2 each. Absolutely crazy considering that Disney wants people wearing them, but doesn’t have any for sale (looked everywhere at MK today and asked cast members in several shops). Also overheard a lady at a restaurant ask the hostess if they had any masks available (because her strap broke) and the hostess said no. Disney could be making a fortune…

AFAIK they’re not really selling them anywhere. I was in the parks several times over the past month and saw very few displays. Guests relations, the guest experience team & all transportation have disposable ones to give out though.

To me, it seemed the mask disappeared when mask seemed to move from 'protect others' to 'use an n95 and protect yourself'.

I was able to find one a couple of weeks ago, they were in the Creations Shop near the register furthest from Club Cool. There is this corner back there that has some passholder Food and Wine merch -- there is a small rack in that area that had some.
Mask-wearing is on its last legs here right now. I suspect they’ll no longer be mandated by Monday.

that is the feeling I had the last time or two I've been on Disney Property -- just felt more lax than in the past I guess.

SingleRider

I got a handful of photos where others in my ride vehicle weren’t wearing masks in September. This happened on EE, 7DMT, and ToT. So that process appears to have been loosened at least.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m currently at Disney for the first time since the pandemic. Though the crowds have been fairly light so far this week, I definitely won’t return again if there is a mask requirement. Even in late October, it’s far too humid to wear a mask, even indoors. Not to mention that it feels like the A/C has barely worked on the monorails and half the buses I’ve been on. I mentioned the other night that we couldn’t find any Disney masks in any shops. Today we finally found some in one shop in the Contemporary behind the arcade. $20 for a set of two- one Mickey, one Minnie.
Oh it’s sucks

don’t confuse my musings for loving masks.

I hate them and will be in one in the heat part time next week. Sucks

It’s just convenient to let Disney’s poor management off the hook for that “light attendance” you mentioned.

masks are part…but I bet a small one behind the numbers.

fall and early winter was wrecked by delta…that’s the planning window and shock to the travel system…now…on top of the one from 18 months ago (prime Disney planning window begins there)

that’s not on Disney…

…but the aggressive, egregious price tactics employed during this by Slaphead are to blame as well (so much so the “war” between he and Iger was leaked to the Hollywood press…99% chance by iger’s people). So obtuse…new upcharges combined with layoffs and reductions and unwavering edicts that the brand will shield all aggressiveness when people are scared/shell shocked.

completely inept management…and some mask stuff too! 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Simple solution: make masks optional! If you feel like you need the protection of a mask then wear it. You don’t need a Disney policy to wear a mask if that’s what you want to do. Personally, I won’t be wearing a mask but I won’t fault anyone that chooses to do so.
What lawyer tells you fix your side walk so people don’t trip “if you feel like it”?

that’s a rudimentary example…and silly…but not entirely inappropriate. Disney was always dancing the line of money, optics, perception and liability here…that never changed.

but here’s a couple reminders:
1. Hoaxers were wrong…so coming back around now doesn’t wipe that slate clean
2. Florida embarrassed themselves and by extension Disney…so it’s reasonable that they be a tad cautious now.
3. Declaring victory was tried twice…and failed. It might behoove us to just err a tad on the side of caution?

no?:..is it still red herring season?

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Is this an onsite report?

If so what do you mean, are they not enforcing the rules?
I’ve been here for a week. People are constantly forgetting and being gently reminded by a CM if one happens to be around. Blizzard Beach used to have “masks required” signs at the restrooms- now they just say wear a mask for your safety but no one is wearing them inside.

I saw several people walking through restaurants without masks on. There really isn’t any enforcement in queues. Again, most are voluntarily complying because they don’t want to be jerks. But many masks are being worn under the nose or are being lowered and pulled up. People aren’t acting as though they believe the masks are doing anything.

Last edited:

VelocityRaptor

I’ve been here for a week. People are constantly forgetting and being gently reminded by a CM if one happens to be around. Blizzard Beach used to have “masks required” signs at the restrooms- now they just say wear a mask for your safety but no one is wearing them inside.

I saw several people walking through restaurants without masks on. There really isn’t any enforcement in queues. Again, most are voluntary complying because they don’t want to be jerks. But many masks are being worn under the nose or are being lowered and pulled up. People aren’t acting as though they believe the masks are doing anything.
It was like that back during the 50th weekend. No enforcement in queues, once the ride starts they take their masks off, mens restrooms have barely any compliance. Not that I care, I only wear my mask because it’s required

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I saw several people walking through restaurants without masks on. There really isn’t any enforcement in queues. Again, most are voluntary complying because they don’t want to be jerks. But many masks are being worn under the nose or are being lowered and pulled up. People aren’t acting as though they believe the masks are doing anything.
I feel like I’ve seen that play before…is it Cats? 😉

SunnyDisney007

I was at Magic Kingdom and Epcot this weekend. Masks were only required indoors and on rides. If someone forgot to wear one, a CM would gently remind them. One thing that surprised me was the lack of social distancing in the lines. The CMs were actively encouraging everyone to fill in all the available space. The lines were the best thing about COVID Disney in my opinion! I was hoping that would stick around a little. Anyway, the trip was fantastic and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom